Running / Walking app recommendations? (Not Map My Fitness)

Options
Kalikel
Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
I've had it with Map My Walk. It was great at first, but now - it cuts off parts of my walk/runs. It's just not working! I liked how it split miles and especially how it drew me a line on a map! But it's only great if it works.

I don't need more than how far and how long it took. Free is best, of course, but I can pony up $1.99.

Replies

• Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I LOVED the 5k runner app by clearsky. It's helped me go from 5k to 10k to 21k. They have a free version, but eventually you'll have to buy the app. If you do plan on eventually running further than 5k, I'd go ahead and just buy the 10k Runner app as that one goes from 0-10k so you kind of get two apps in one.
  • check1972
    check1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Endomondo. Never had an issue with it and links to MFP.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper. Syncs to MFP. (You can also track other workouts.)
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Walk for a Dog is free and will track time/distance and it generates donations for your favorite animal shelter/rescue.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    search for GPS Odometer on your smart phone. They all track distance and time traveled
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I personally use "route tracker". It tells you how far you walked, how many minutes you walked, and your average speed.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    check1972 wrote: »
    Endomondo. Never had an issue with it and links to MFP.
    I'll second Endomondo... excellent app.
  • kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Strava. And it syncs with MFP.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Main services in the marketplace are Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava and Runtastic, in addition to MapMyFitness.

Personally I'd recommend Endomondo or Runkeepr for the casual exerciser, in that order. They both have training plan options, and they integrate with MFP.

Strava is superior in terms of analytics but it's a bit more sparse in terms of training options as it's generally used by a more serious trainer.

I personally wouldn't recommend either Runtastic or MapMyFitness.

All that said, it may be that the issue is your phones GPS rather than the app, although Endomondo deals best with platform issues. What you describe sounds more like the GPS has lost signal, rather than anything else.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo but it isn't perfect. I will sometimes have tracking issues related to GPS signal loss. I have also found it's the most accurate with calories burned when I tested it along with my Polar HRM. Polar of course always being higher in numbers with a 40-70 calorie difference between the 2.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper. Syncs to MFP. (You can also track other workouts.)

+1

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm another big fan of endomondo.....
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Icardio also syncs with MFP.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love Runkeeper!!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just started with endomondo, seems good.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lots of choices! Off to google!

Thank you, everyone!!!! :)
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would skip Pacer. Not loving it. Yesterday's 6 miles hike/walk came out as 3.1 miles and told me I only burned like 150 calories! Not so much.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    When I tried enmondo it didn't track things well. Didn't do the right time or distance but I have friends who were very pleased so maybe just a glitch! I might check out run keeper :-)
  • Jalabrown76
    Jalabrown76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm using Runtastic. It's okay - but it seems that the calories burned segment is a bit high? Not really sure - as I am not tracking them on any other app. I do like the fact that it draws a map as you walk/run and that it keeps track of time and distance. It's also free and syncs with the MFP app/site.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm just in the process of testing walking apps after my favourite - Nike+ Running - kept crashing on my phone.

Endomondo: horrible voice feedback, kept pausing and restarting my walk, then said I walked at "very very brisk pace" (8min/km)

Runkeeper: good voice feedback, good analytics, links directly to my music player, but while it tracked my pace accurately it posted to MFP that I walked at moderate pace (12,5min/km) while it gave me 9min/km while tracking

Mapmywalk: bad voice feedback, tracked my pace accurately except for the last km where I apparently flew at the speed of light which resulted in a far lower pace than I actually walked

So far Endomondo is totally out of the question. Today I'll test Runtastic again which I liked in the past but the free version only has voice feedback for the first 2k, and that's a very important feature for me.