Oh My-Niscus! (meniscus... lol)

Options
I think I tore my meniscus doing squats, which is not the I'mroblem. Well not why I'm on this post. (I'm R.I.C.E'ing my injury back to health.) I NEED HELP finding a workout or excersises that won't aggravate my knee. Maybe something sitting. PROBLEM IS, what I've seen won't get me to "sweat mode". What can I do. I'm starting to lose my mojo. I feel a funk coming.Suggestions please...

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Techneique wrote: »
    I think I tore my meniscus doing squats, which is not the I'mroblem. Well not why I'm on this post. (I'm R.I.C.E'ing my injury back to health.) I NEED HELP finding a workout or excersises that won't aggravate my knee. Maybe something sitting. PROBLEM IS, what I've seen won't get me to "sweat mode". What can I do. I'm starting to lose my mojo. I feel a funk coming.Suggestions please...

If you think you tore it you need to see a Dr. right away and take his/her advice about what to do about it. Don't fool with the meniscus. Seriously.

If you really tore your meniscus, continuing to exercise is the least of your concerns right now.

You can just get into "fat burning mode" by adjusting your dietary habits. And continue your progress that way.

Best regards to you.

Do this.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Shadowboxing with light weights does it for me.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

If you think you tore it you need to see a Dr. right away and take his/her advice about what to do about it. Don't fool with the meniscus. Seriously.

If you really tore your meniscus, continuing to exercise is the least of your concerns right now.

You can just get into "fat burning mode" by adjusting your dietary habits. And continue your progress that way.

Best regards to you.

^^This. I tore my medial meniscus earlier this year. I just got it cleaned up. Go to a doc and explain your suspicions. A meniscus tear can only be diagnosed accurately with an MRI scan, but an experienced surgeon should be able to spot it straight away.

It took a long while to get back to walking normally again without the aches and pains (which I'm now going through again, but to a lesser extent post-surgery), BUT I still lost weight during the whole process. I just adjusted my calories in to reflect that I was now sedentary, and the weight continued to come off after a bit of a stall of a few weeks.

Injuries do happen, as do other disruptions. You just have to listen to your body and accept that sometimes you have to do less than you want to.

• Techneique
    Options
    Thank you all. I self diagnosed (according to the sysymptoms and pain I have) via 4 different sites. They pretty much said the same tthing. I will however, go to the doc as soon as I can. I didn't realize I had done major damage. Just thought I had strained it. Will also take the advice to modify intake of food. All of this was good. Again thanks everyone.
  • Techneique
    Options

Best regards to you.

^^This. I tore my medial meniscus earlier this year. I just got it cleaned up. Go to a doc and explain your suspicions. A meniscus tear can only be diagnosed accurately with an MRI scan, but an experienced surgeon should be able to spot it straight away.

It took a long while to get back to walking normally again without the aches and pains (which I'm now going through again, but to a lesser extent post-surgery), BUT I still lost weight during the whole process. I just adjusted my calories in to reflect that I was now sedentary, and the weight continued to come off after a bit of a stall of a few weeks.

Injuries do happen, as do other disruptions. You just have to listen to your body and accept that sometimes you have to do less than you want to.
    Cleaned up? Surgery? Omd... I was already having issues dealing/excersicing with sciatica. Now this. :'(

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    please please please ask an appropriately-trained physician these questions!!!

Do not listen to advice apart from this from untrained people on a board.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid self diagnosis. I too thought I had a meniscus tear or some joint problem that would require surgery to fix. Turned out what I actually had was a severe muscular imbalance. A massage from the physio and some attention to stretching and strengthening the weakened muscles to rebalanced the area and the pain disappeared. Basically because of years of having flat feet my whole leg muscle structure had twisted inwards causing it to corkscrew round my knee joint when I went down onto my knees doing squats lunges or dead lifts. My own muscles where attempting to dislocate my joint. Which was, unsurprisingly causing pain. It was an easy fix once I know it was happening though. I could even adjust my form to compensate. So ...

DO NOT SELF DIAGNOSE SEE A PROFESSIONAL I KNOW IT'S CAPS I FEEL SHOUTING IS ENTIRELY WARRANTED!