Gadgets for a cyclist/ runner

Hi
I'm looking for a present for my fiancée. Thinking I might want either the Garmin 620 watch or the 810 bike thingy. What does the 810 give me that the 620 doesn't.
Sorry, I'm totally clueless when it comes to this stuff.
He's got a Garmin virb elite camera which is why I thought it might be good to stick to Garmin.
«1

Replies

  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited November 2014
    The 810 is cycling computer only. It mounts to the handlebars of a bike.

    The 620 is a running computer only. It is a watch.

    If you want to try to combine them, look at the Fenix 2 or the 910xt. If you are willing to wait a little bit for the release, Garmin is coming out with a new 920xt which will interface with the VIRB.

    The Fenix, 910xt and 920xt are also watches, but you can get handlebar mounts for them to use as cycling computers also.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I'm personally angling for a Wahoo Kickr trainer.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm personally angling for a Wahoo Kickr trainer.

    I would LOVE to get one. I currently use a Kurt Kinetic Rock-n-Roll. I love that trainer, and the fact that it wobbles around if I get sloppy really helps keep me in good riding form, and not just strength. If they ever combine the wobble-ability of the RnR with an erg-trainer like the Kickr, I would be all over that in a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" sort of way.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Can you still get the old Garmin 610? Looks like you can still get them through Amazon. That's what I have and it has both run and ride settings/options. I've been reasonably happy with it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I recommend a helmet mirror. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm personally angling for a Wahoo Kickr trainer.

    I would LOVE to get one. I currently use a Kurt Kinetic Rock-n-Roll. I love that trainer, and the fact that it wobbles around if I get sloppy really helps keep me in good riding form, and not just strength. If they ever combine the wobble-ability of the RnR with an erg-trainer like the Kickr, I would be all over that in a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" sort of way.

    I've got a kurt as well, great unit, but man... imagine the trainer adjusting resistance on the fly? Pair that with like ALL of the sufferfest videos...

    *drool*
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    The 620 is a running computer only. It is a watch.

    The 620 has had a firmware update to allow some cycling functionality.

  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm personally angling for a Wahoo Kickr trainer.

    I would LOVE to get one. I currently use a Kurt Kinetic Rock-n-Roll. I love that trainer, and the fact that it wobbles around if I get sloppy really helps keep me in good riding form, and not just strength. If they ever combine the wobble-ability of the RnR with an erg-trainer like the Kickr, I would be all over that in a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" sort of way.

    I've got a kurt as well, great unit, but man... imagine the trainer adjusting resistance on the fly? Pair that with like ALL of the sufferfest videos...

    *drool*

    That is EXACTLY why I want it. Sufferfest + TrainerRoad is awesome, but pair that with the trainer itself forcing you into the on-screen paces? Yea, that would be ultimate in suffering.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Thanks everyone. He's already got a trainer. I did look at the 920xt but he doesn't swim so I wondered if I could find something cheaper that doesn't have that function.

    I meant the 620 by the way.
    So with the cycling functionality, how does it compare with the 810.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I'm even more confused now. Not sure about Fenix 2 now. So difference between Fenix 2, 920 xt, 620 and 810?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    I think you need to help us out a little more. What does he do, what does he already have, and what are your desires for this device?

    Another option that might work out a little cheaper is to go with two of the older models. A cycling computer like the Edge 500 and a Forerunner 220 for running.

    The 910/920, while an excellent device (I use the 910xt myself) can be a compromise in that it tries to do everything, so might lack for one thing or another. I use my 910 for swimming and running, but take my cycling data off of a Garmin Edge 500. It can show me more information (8 data fields at once) instead of only 4 with the 910.

    The 810, however, is a seriously fancy toy - it has maps, and routing built in to it, turn by turn directions etc. Really a slick tool. However it is NOT a run computer, and can really only be used on a bike.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm personally angling for a Wahoo Kickr trainer.

    I would LOVE to get one. I currently use a Kurt Kinetic Rock-n-Roll. I love that trainer, and the fact that it wobbles around if I get sloppy really helps keep me in good riding form, and not just strength. If they ever combine the wobble-ability of the RnR with an erg-trainer like the Kickr, I would be all over that in a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" sort of way.

    I've got a kurt as well, great unit, but man... imagine the trainer adjusting resistance on the fly? Pair that with like ALL of the sufferfest videos...

    *drool*

    That is EXACTLY why I want it. Sufferfest + TrainerRoad is awesome, but pair that with the trainer itself forcing you into the on-screen paces? Yea, that would be ultimate in suffering.
    Yeah buddy. I'd do the tour of sufferlandria that way. I'd call it "Hard Mode."
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Oh duh, OP. He has a trainer right? Get him a bunch of the sufferfest videos.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm personally angling for a Wahoo Kickr trainer.

    I would LOVE to get one. I currently use a Kurt Kinetic Rock-n-Roll. I love that trainer, and the fact that it wobbles around if I get sloppy really helps keep me in good riding form, and not just strength. If they ever combine the wobble-ability of the RnR with an erg-trainer like the Kickr, I would be all over that in a "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" sort of way.

    I've got a kurt as well, great unit, but man... imagine the trainer adjusting resistance on the fly? Pair that with like ALL of the sufferfest videos...

    *drool*

    That is EXACTLY why I want it. Sufferfest + TrainerRoad is awesome, but pair that with the trainer itself forcing you into the on-screen paces? Yea, that would be ultimate in suffering.
    Yeah buddy. I'd do the tour of sufferlandria that way. I'd call it "Hard Mode."


    I did the full tour last year with TrainerRoad set at 100% but I can guarantee you I didn't make all the numbers. I recall the day we had to do Angels followed by The Hunted in one shot I think I only barely made it 60%, maybe, sortof.

    I can't imagine doing it with my trainer forcing me to a power... well I can, and the thought is enticing... I must be sick :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Oh duh, OP. He has a trainer right? Get him a bunch of the sufferfest videos.


    *SMACK* why didn't I think of that. The full package is only like $150 and well worth every penny!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    jaz050465 wrote: »
    So with the cycling functionality, how does it compare with the 810.

    I have an 810 for cycling (which I got an amazing deal on at Wiggle during a sale.) It allows me to accurately track cadence, HR, has "sat nav" style navigation, allows me to follow a predetermined route, makes the tea (no, wait, that's not true...)

    I'm not sure of the cycling functionality of the 620 but I don't think it is compatible with ANT+ sensors and therefore getting accurate cadence is probably a no go. It won't give you navigation but you will be able to see your route after the ride is finished as finished.

    If you want something that bridges the gap then a multisports watch like the 910 is a possibility but it's a compromise.

    Personally, I would prefer to get the 810 and another solution for running (like a phone and a bluetooth compatible HRM which is pretty cheap.)

  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    I use a 910 to track my swimming and running, but I hate it as a bike computer and use a 500 for that. During a race I run the 910xt in multisport mode and run it for the whole race, but I will throw out the bike file when I upload all data later and just use the file my 500 gave me. (I do this because my power meter is only paired to the 500 so I get more accurate data using that device)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Oh duh, OP. He has a trainer right? Get him a bunch of the sufferfest videos.

    Thanks. A trainer and sufferfest videos have been previous presents.

  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Thanks. It seems like trying to get something to use for both isn't the answer so I'll look for individual gadgets.

    what he's got already are old. I need to wait until he's out of the house to check what they are though. I suppose if the new ones haven't got a lot more, it a bit of a waste of money.

    Any more present ideas.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    What's 'Trainer Road'