5k, 10k, triathlon, HELP!

Options
OK, I really want to do all of these but have no idea how to train! I want to start with a 5k (definitely able to do one right now) and then a 10k or triathlon-and who knows from there. The thing is I have NO clue how long I need to train for them and how to train.

I just want a basic ballpark figure for how long you need to be training in order to do each well. I am not currently running everyday as I am doing the 60-day INSANITY program. I used to run around 3 miles a day and could run around 9 min mile pace. The 5k would be easy, its the 10k or tri that makes me nervous. I love biking and running but I SUCK at swimming, so how long would i need to start swimming regularly before competing?

Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    C25K Plan is good for training for a 5k. Never done it but a lot of people have success with it.

Anything from there is your own training plan. Triathlons, you should train your weakest part. It all depends which one you are training for. Normally people focus on swimming and biking. Most training plans for this are 4 to 6 months. Although it seems like they are all over the place now.

If I'm training for a 10k, I run 3 miles, then 5 miles, then 7 miles every week. A day of rest in between.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Have you found the running ahead website yet? www.runningahead.com
    Its free to join and it has literally anything you will ever want to know about training and running on there.
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    7 months ago I was where you are now. I followed a version of the c25k programme. what made a big difference with my running training and motivation was going to a weekly timed predictor run with my local running club. I set my time goal and distance, and I see my imprvement each week.

Once I was comfortably up to 5k, I entered my first triathlon in a 3 girl relay team. this is a good way to start off. After that, I was hooked and decided to do an individual Sprint triathlon to imporve my overall fitness, even though I was terrible at swimming and hadn't been on a bike for 30 years. When interval training with younger fitter "duracell bunny" type ironmen, I just go at my own pace, gently pushing myself. With triathlon, It is about setting your own goals and just going for it. and beating the man/woman you are closesst to when swimming/cycling/running :-)

I am doing my 3rd sprint triathlon next Friday, and hoping to move up to Olympic distance before the end of the year. Triathlon is very addicitve! Just go fot it!