Lost 70lbs, gained it all back! Now trying to start over and scared.

Options
I used MFP to successfully (except for some hair loss) loose 70 lbs for my son's wedding. Once the wedding was over I seemed to deflate and loose all motivation. Now here I am, two years later and right back where I started (gained all the weight back). I want to try again but it was so hard the first time I have to admit I am scared.

Replies

• BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    hey, welcome back! you can totally do this! it is hard as hell, yes, but I bet you'd agree that it will be worth it in the end. if you're looking for new friends feel free to add me!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well, the positive is that you know you can do it!! Set up your plan and organize yourself and get back to losing!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How fast did you lose it? Maybe you lost it very quickly as you had the wedding? Just remember you can take your time with losing it, and that makes it easier.
    I'm in a similar position, although my gain is due to pregnancy. I lost 66lbs after my 2nd baby, then got pregnant with my third, logged and exercised all pregnancy, and now 6 months post partum I still need to lose around 40lbs, although if I lose that I will end up smaller than before.
    It is a bit disheartening sometimes, but just don't put a deadline on it.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Same boat here...lost 50. gained back 40..sigh. Can't seem to get too motivated with it.
    But I try everyday.... :)
  • roxynovak96
    roxynovak96 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just try to do it slowly, don't put pressure on yourself to lose a certain amount by a certain date. You want this to be the last time you do this, so you have to see it as a lifestyle change, not just a diet. The healthy habits really are for life, because as soon as you revert back to your old eating habits you will gain it all back again. Be kind to yourself too, it's ok to slip up once in awhile, just make sure to hold yourself accountable, forgive yourself, and move on. Good luck, you can do it!
  • BeadDog22
    BeadDog22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
  • BeadDog22
    Options
    How fast did you lose it? Maybe you lost it very quickly as you had the wedding? Just remember you can take your time with losing it, and that makes it easier.

I did loose it pretty quick (about 6 months). Going to try to be more sensible now.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    two pounds a week is sustainable. anything more and you will gain it all back
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You obviously know how to lose weight and whats involved. What you need to know is what happened and why? You also need to know whats going to be different about this time roun and what you are going to do to either deal with the things that blew you off ccourse and how you are going to avoid regaining. Understand this and it will give you more direction and remove much of the fear becayse you will have prepared for what lies ahead. If the plan is ood then you will have confidence that this time can be different and you cna focus on losing the weight. That would be my approach anyway.
  • Calicot
    Calicot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been gone for a while and now I'm back too.
    My motivation this time around: I saw my doctor the other day and he scared me really bad talking about me being on the doorstep of diabetes and knee surgery. He even asked me if I've thought about Lapband. I don't want to go through knee surgery or have a Lapband and I sure don't want diabetes either or any other health issue that comes with obesity.
    So my motivation is my health.

If you need motivation and a few good words on your hard work, feel free to add me.
  • moonhowler15
    moonhowler15 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat my friend. I lost 84 lbs. Was down to 235 from 319...that was back in 2011...after two years of med school, a new baby and moving to a new home and struggling to find work I gained most of it back. It sucks yes...is it the end of the world? Nah. It's hard finding that drive to get going, especially after so long of the wagon. But hey, we're human. We fall, but we can pick ourselves back up and move on! Let's do it, together. Remember there are always others who are going through the same fears, struggles and apprehension. You can do it!
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    when I first started MFP around a year ago I relapsed at around 40 pounds and gained it back I went back to being miserable so I rejoined and I'm now down 80! I have no desire for any of the foods I use to eat now (except fried chicken but I only eat it once every 2 months..) you can do it and if you need a friend send an invite! :)
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

People on here are always saying this, even though there's no proof to support it!
    Some studies even say the opposite. I think, what matters is how well you choose to maintain, period. Whether you lose quickly or slowly, if you go right back to what made you big in the first place. You will gain it back!!!
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Take it one day at a time, and when you stumble (and you will), pick yourself up, shake it off and keep going. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • BeadDog22
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. Your encouragement is refreshing. The first time, I didn't know about the message boards, I just had the app to log on my phone. So having you all here to help is awesome. :smiley:
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared - you can do it! I had to start over in August after gaining back 60 pounds. I'm down 30 now, and feeling energetic and positive and hopeful about life again. Staying on track with my eating helps me stay on track with other areas of my life, and that feels SO good! It feels much better than stuffing my face and then feeling demoralized.

On another thread I got some new ideas for "mantras" to help me if I'm feeling tempted:
    "Anything but food!"
    "I can do hard things"
    "No excuses!"
    "Don't dream it, BE it"
    "I can. I will. I must!"

Good luck to you!
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    BeadDog22 wrote: »
    I used MFP to successfully (except for some hair loss) LOSE 70 lbs for my son's wedding. Once the wedding was over I seemed to deflate and LOSE all motivation. Now here I am, two years later and right back where I started (gained all the weight back). I want to try again but it was so hard the first time I have to admit I am scared.

There is no need to be scared. Based on your history of using MFP to lose 70 pounds we know you can count calories. You have a proven ability to lose weight, so believe in yourself!

Consume less than your TDEE until you reach goal and then eat at maintenance.

Stop using one time events (weddings, etc) as motivation and choose something sustainable (such as maximizing your life expectancy).

• niqu11
    niqu11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I agree with the above! 1-2 lbs per week is great. Slow and steady definitely sets you up for making more permanent changes in your daily life that help you maintain the loss. You're taking a great first step logging back into MFP! Everyone needs support and encouragement, and you know it's here! Best of luck!