Starting on the journey again and need some help

Options
Phoenix_Rebirth
Phoenix_Rebirth Posts: 5
edited November 2014 in Getting Started
Hello everyone, I'm restarting my fitness journey and I'm hoping to find some good people for support and advice.

I work in an office setting, sitting on my you-know-what all day long and it's taking a toll on my mind and body. After packing on 30 lbs this year alone it's time for a change. I tend to start off with a bang but have a hard time staying motivated which brings me here, not too proud to admit I need help and hoping I'll find some here.

So here we go, hello everyone and best a luck on all your journey.

Replies

• shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 381 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am in the same boat. You can add me. I am doing WW on the side for added support and accountability. But, I log in MFP though. The food database in WW is not comprehensive. MFP is just great for food logging.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well if your motivation for fitness fizzles out, don't start at all. focus on your diet. Its what counts anyway when it comes to weight.

With regard to actual fitness and general health, take up an interesting sport. I've just taken up tennis. Its good and i think it could keep me interested for a long while and yet i don't have to head down to the courts every day.

btw I have lost about 40 pounds this year with just focusing on my diet.

When you work in an office, clearly you need to get a lot more organised with your food. What i have found is that cooking is essential.

And if you want to make it easier for yourself, don't leave cooking until you are tired and not in the mood. Do a lot of cooking on the weekend, Have your fridge well stocked so that all you have to do is heat up stuff during the week and put your lunch and breakfasts together.

Even though i don't work, i like having food ready in my fridge. I don't like cooking when i'm tired and that's when you i'm likely to just eat the easiest thing i can think of. when that happens, vegetables get sacrificed and i eat food that doesn't satisfy for long.

You need to eat more vegetables so have bit cook up on the weekends. Soups, meat casseroles or roasts if you are meat eater, there's many many vegie dishes that will last a week in the fridge and freezer. Also cook up lentil dishes and chickpeas.

Keep your fridged well stocked with fresh everything.

I know that on weekends people are tired too but many years ago when i did have a full time job in the city, i do remember doing pretty much what i'm suggesting you do now. Take your lunch to work as well.

And if you need snacks, take those too.

The food that people tend to buy on the run is high calorie and low satisfaction for the most part.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I completely understand that one. I am in the exact same situation. I've been trying to get started but keep stumbling. But FR sent, and anyone else can add me as well!
  • Nenny1985
    Options
    Hello and Welcome. Good on you for doing something about it. I log every day. I am also a big believer in being able to squeeze extra bits of exercise into your day which can definitely help if you're in a desk job. I also believe in doing exercise you enjoy. All the best and feel free to add me.
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to start off with a "bang!". Start off in a slow moderate trot. Don't try to implement too many changes at once. It will become overwhelming and you may become disappointed and give up. Remember this should not be about reaching a certain weight but rather about changing your lifestyle and that takes time ad adjustment.

With that being said, best of luck to you on your journey.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a Fitbit or some other activity tracker. Make 10,000 your goal. You'll be amazed at how few steps you get on a regular work day! But if you shoot for 10,000 you'll find yourself going for a walk on your lunch break or after dinner! Really made me aware of my activity level!
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Your story sounds just like mine. I work in an office all day in the 11 years I have worked there I have gained 80 pounds. I just started back two days ago. You can add me if you would like. We can do anything if we put our minds to it and know the weight want come off over night. :) Good luck to you!!
  • MonicaG77
    MonicaG77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My story, too, sounds like everyone's. I work in an office and have for years. It seems as years have gone by, we work more and harder and thus stress builds, not to mention the added hours we put in. So I have gained 25 pounds in the past few years. This is about my 3rd time getting started with MFP because of not finding the time. This is about being healthy, feeling good, and having excellent numbers at the doctor's office from blood tests. I know I must take care of my body in order to avoid diabetes and high cholesterol and other issues that are in my family. I hope I can find friends for support and advice as well. This can be a lonely journey.
  • Sherms
    Options
    Good morning all, my journey began in 2008 after the birth of my son. I was always a small person but found myself at 175lbs after giving birth. January 2009 i began eating right and working out, I also kept an exercise and food journal. By March 2009 I was down 30 lbs and weighed 145 lbs. I then lost another 3 lbs ... I got stuck at a plateau weighing 142. At the time I didn't know much about plateus and I gave up just 12lbs shy of my gal of 130. Since then I have experience highs and lows on my journey. :D

I was successful in losing weight for my wedding. I weighed 145 at that time (2013), went on a honeymoon caribbean cruise and gained a whopping 15lbs in a week and the weight kept increasing...... Here I am today weighing in at 183lbs .... Heaviest I have ever been.... :'( I have been struggling with starting my journey but today is the day ....

To everyone on their weight loss journey I wish you much success....determination and will
  • beldona1
    beldona1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm restarting my fitness journey and I'm hoping to find some good people for support and advice.

I work in an office setting, sitting on my you-know-what all day long and it's taking a toll on my mind and body. After packing on 30 lbs this year alone it's time for a change. I tend to start off with a bang but have a hard time staying motivated which brings me here, not too proud to admit I need help and hoping I'll find some here.

So here we go, hello everyone and best a luck on all your journey.

Hello, and welcome back. I am on the same your as you. You have taken the first step and together we can take the second and third. You can do this Good luck!