Fat guy

Options
Hi... I'm more than fat - I'm "clinically obese". 6'2" and 255. Lost 10 pounds so far!!! I'm trying. I'm trying to lost some weight. They say, "lose weight for yourself." Yeah I know that is righteous. Lose weight for me... I'm trying to lose weight for the person that means the world to me: my wife. I know she accepts me the way I am. God, I love her for that. However, men are 'wired' to be providers - to be the ones to support the family. I feel a strong urge to be the man I think she wants/needs me to be. I feel ashamed, at times, thinking I should do more and then I see people struggling with life -people like those that I support at Wounded Warriors. Okay I'm trying to deflect here, Not trying to promote them... I'm embarrassed about what I did to myself. I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to make it right. Right with me, Right with God.
- Thanks for listening.

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Howdy... name, location, and story seem to ring a bit of a bell here (hence the reply).

Slowly made it from 260 to 175 (and significantly improved my running/cycling/swimming paces) over the course of 2 years, mostly from lifestyle changes vs. any sort of short crash diet.

It is always good when you can have an external motivation to lose. Still, in the long run, I've needed a bit more strength from within in order to succeed with my everyday food choice decisions (as the internal dialogue seems to go more like "I enjoy living, I can do more if it at a higher quality if not obese, so better not run to the pantry to get another snack now that I'm out of calories for the day").

I'm sure you'll get there.
  • AlanInFl
    Options
    Wow that's great. I haven't seen that weight since high school. That was decades ago. lol
    Thanks for the reply.
  • digitalcanuck
    digitalcanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Using mfp is a great place to start. You will soon see that you are not alone. Getting support is a wonderful step in the right direction.

Have a fantastic day!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I commend you for beginning. You'll be so glad you did one day. It doesn't matter why you start---just keep going and don't give up. Sometimes you'll be discouraged--it happens to all of us--but just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start again. Be consistent, weigh and log all your food and you'll be a success story on here in the future. Wishing you all the best. :)
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on realising that making a change is important to you. It will not always be easy (nor always difficult), so perhaps, always focus on your wife, and push yourself to accomplish what you've set out to do. Consistency is key, and I wish you all the luck in achieving your goal(s). Looking forward to seeing a thread from you that's titled Phat Guy in the future. :)
  • clove76
    clove76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have only been on this site for a day, and already, I am getting so much support & it's making me more determined to reach my goals. You can do it! You've made a great start, and I am proud of you. :)