Diastitis

Options
Hello all. I'm 8 weeks post postpartum. I have diastitis and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some exercises to help reduce the appearance. I don't need diet recommendations, my calorie intake is right where it should be. I have been cleared for all exercises from my doctor, and I have access to a recumbent bike, elliptical, bench press and dumbbells up to 20 pounds. And can buy any exercise equipment that would help.

Please don't recommend:
Diet pills
Just lose weight.
Eating 1200 calories or less.
Miracle supplements.
It works wraps! or anything else along these lines.

Please do recommend:
Exercises that will make the appearance less noticeable.
Actual foods that reduce inflammation.
Actual vitamins that can reduce inflammation.

Picture for reference. Excuse my messy closet.

8tw649q51d3t.jpg

Replies

• GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about diastasis, but my doctor recommends taking 1200-2000mg of a good fish oil supplement to reduce inflammation. Foods like pomegranites and blueberries are supposed to be good for that too.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastasis_recti

This has a list of exercises that are supposed to work well. There is also a book, I can't remember the name for sure, but I think it is called "Goodbye Mummy Tummy"
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't have diastitis but I feel that my krill oil, primrose oil, turmeric (I just add it to where ever I can sneak it in) and 1-2T of apple cider vinegar per day all help tremendously.
    Weights are great but you may want some heavier ones. I found I moved up in weights pretty quickly. I used routines found on bodybuilder.com. I do love Beachbody workout videos. I'm doing Piyo right now and I love T25. Soon Shaun T will be launching Insanity Max30. I know people hate the "I don't have time" excuse but I work full time, my husband is home 1 day a week or less and I have 3 kids. And we stay busy so getting a workout in for only 20-40 minutes is extremely helpful and doesn't cause me to stress about my workouts.

Also, you look amazing, especially for 8 weeks postpartum so well done so far!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    TripleJ3 wrote:
    I don't have diastitis but I feel that my krill oil, primrose oil, turmeric ... and 1-2T of apple cider vinegar per day all help tremendously.
    First, if you don't have it how can you say your "remedies" have helped?
    Second, at most you're getting a placebo effect, esp. with the vinegar.

51637601.png
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There is a diastasis recti group. Join! See also if you can get a referral from your OB for a physical therapist who specializes in treating diastasis. There is a LOT of stuff you can do that will exacerbate the condition--and which you might intuitively think would help, like crunches and planks!--but a good PT will teach you the correct exercises to do.