Bulk or Cut.... Serious advice.

Options
Hey guys I need some advice on bulking or cutting. I just came off a 3 month or so cut from 193 down to 172. I was fairly lean before the bulk up but did it very dirty. While losing the weight I lost most my gains in the process. I got mostly all of the fat off but was tired of feeling skinny and thin so I want to put some lean mass back on. The problem is my upper abs are very firm and I don't have a lot of fat every where else that's bothersome, but my lower belly sticks out like I'm a pregnant guy. I have heard to put some mass on as this will make me look more muscular, and to go low carb to remove the lower belly. Honest advice what should I do? ee4xkh8dbe5q.jpg
95t4lachwbdl.jpg
teex2wng6vtt.jpg

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    continue your cut, or you will keep that belly fat
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cut.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What does your diet and training look like? What are you doing? Also, what are your stats? Height and weight...
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Looks like a lot of empty space to fill up and if you continue cutting you will keep on increasing the empty space. I'd reverse diet - slowly - back to maintenance! You still burn fat but at the same time starting getting a bit of muscles coming back.
  • J72FIT
    edited November 2014
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of empty space to fill up and if you continue cutting you will keep on increasing the empty space. I'd reverse diet - slowly - back to maintenance! You still burn fat but at the same time starting getting a bit of muscles coming back.

I like this approach as well... Make sure you keep lifting during the process. I am in the process of a reverse diet. Added 50 calories per day per week from 2000 a day to 3000 calories per day. So far so good, minimal fat gain and some good muscle gains... When I decide to cut again it will be a breeze...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If I were in your position I would continue cutting provided that you're not having any issues on the dieting end.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

I like this approach as well... Make sure you keep lifting during the process. I am in the process of a reverse diet. Added 50 calories per day per week from 2000 a day to 3000 calories per day. So far so good, minimal fat gain and some good muscle gains... When I decide to cut again it will be a breeze...

100 calories every couple of weeks - at the moment upped 400 calories and achieved better results than when I was cutting due to the same "empty space" problem.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Peep this. Let me know what you think...I'm planning on doing it.
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/add-muscle-subtract-fat-clean-bulk-works
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Either go bearmode or cut.. I think bearmode with a beard is sexy but hey thats just me
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

reverse diet and a solid lifting program. Then cut next year. Always lift heavy when cutting.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Low carb won't remove the lower belly.
  • rich421
    rich421 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I am currently running stronglifts 5x5 as I was stuck strengthwise in my bro splits. I was cutting at around 2200 calories with 40p/40c/20f macro. I just this last week upped to around 2800 for a slow lean bulk. My maintaince numbers are around 2400. So you are saying go up to around 2500-2600, or just try a couple more weeks at about 2000.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    rich421 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I am currently running stronglifts 5x5 as I was stuck strengthwise in my bro splits. I was cutting at around 2200 calories with 40p/40c/20f macro. I just this last week upped to around 2800 for a slow lean bulk. My maintaince numbers are around 2400. So you are saying go up to around 2500-2600, or just try a couple more weeks at about 2000.

I would not jump right up to 2800 from 2200... 50 - 100 calories per day per week until you get to 2800 would be a better idea.