Looking for lap swim advice

Options
2»

Replies

• delicioustorment
    Options
    I just wanted to follow up. First thanks again everyone here is so cool. My last swim was 10x100 (75 back, 25 free) I'll keep this pattern for a while, until I feel I can do 50/50.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I swim between 1 mile and 1.25 miles, and mix it up with the kickboard and water jogging. Butterfly is definitely the hardest.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The fly can bite me. I'm ok with the other three, but the fly. No way bro.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm back with another question. Like running, I have days that are good, and days when I feel like there are cement blocks on my feet. Lately, keeping my bum up has been hard. I feel the drag. I can tell that I'm working too hard. A very kind woman next to me suggested the "tuck your tail" image, but is there anything else I can focus on while swimming (freestyle) to get my hips and legs up? The helpful gal said that you are basically kicking to keep your feet up (that freestyle is almost entirely upper body), but how fast? I find when I kick slowly, I feel my feet up more. My other difficulty is that because I am new to lap swimming, I am still getting used to the breathing as well, so at times, I find myself swimming too fast and getting worn out.

Hmm, seems I have more issues than I thought. I'm willing to take suggestions and advice. I've only been at this for about 10 weeks. I really enjoy it, even though I'm fairly certain that it shouldn't be this hard (at least the people in the lanes next to me look very deliberate and smooth, regardless of their speed).

Some things I tell myself when I am headed down the lane are "stay long," "tuck your tail," "head down." Is there anything else to add to this?

Help the noob, please :)
    Thanks,
    ~Curly
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - is there a swimming group on MFP? Now you can't do a Search for groups it makes it impossible to find specifics in the groups section.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    yup .groups .swimmers.
    most popular thread is " did you swim today?"
    pop that into search box and you will be there.

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    @cw106 - thanks but since the MFP site improvements, there is no Search bar for groups. What I would need would be the link address.
  • Trishism
    Trishism Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just joined the swimming group too!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    How is your breathing? If your butt is sinking, it may be that you're keeping your head up too much. Try to aim for your armpit more when you turn your head to breathe, as opposed to aiming up and away from your body, and look down when your head is down (like almost down at your body). It's hard to overcome that instinct to keep your head above water but that's exactly what you want to do :)
  • clairemobrien6405
    clairemobrien6405 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a below knee amputee and started swimming again 8 weeks ago after about 20 years out of the water I managed 1.9 miles yesterday in 2.45 hours but am having difficulty eating the extra calories - any ideas would be great TY. I swim everyday