I'm always too tired to work out?

Options
Hey! :)
Two years ago I was diagnosed with HYPOthyroidism (slow metabolism) but I now take medication for it, and thanks to myfitnesspal I've lost 40 pounds in a year!
However, I want to be healthy and even with taking the right dosage of thyroid medication I find myself feeling fatigued all day long. I can't seem to find enough energy to simply make myself take even a 30 minute walk on the tredmill.
Do you have any tips on energy?

Replies

• TJR88
    TJR88 Posts: 37 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't have hypothrodism so I can't speak to that but I find that doing exercise first thing in the morning works best for me. That way it's done early, I know what I have to play with calorie wise for the day and I don't have to try and battle through my after work energy slump to get my execise for the day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's possible that you need an increase in the meds. Do you get dizzy when rising? Constipated? All stuff you need to go over with the doctors. Fatigue is a real problem and can be fixed with the meds, if it's thyroid-related.

On the flip side, exercising gives you more energy. Not at first, lol. At first it'll wipe you out. But after a couple weeks, you'll notice that you have more energy. That's assuming you can do it, of course.

Try doing it when you wake up. Take your pill, exercise and then shower. It'll take up that 30-60 minutes of not eating after you take your pill, too. :)
  • emilygetshappy
    Options
    Very good idea, thanks! :)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Consistent exercise actually helps with this sensation of lethargy. If you give in to it it gets worse and may even feel like depression. Make your self move. It really will feel amazing
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just tell myself to do 5 minutes and then I can stop if I want. I almost always keep going once I've started though!
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have hypothyroidism; how about having a 'purpose' to your exercising, so rather than doing 30 mins on the treadmill, perhaps walk to the shop for the morning paper, or exercise a dog, etc. That way it won't 'feel' so much like a chore - it just becomes part of your daily routine. If you're really fatigued, legs dragging, just want to sit down, dizzy etc, defo get your medication checked; you're doing brilliantly with the weight loss so don't let a flipping thyroid gland get in your way girl!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    On the flip side, exercising gives you more energy. Not at first, lol. At first it'll wipe you out. But after a couple weeks, you'll notice that you have more energy. That's assuming you can do it, of course.

I'm so glad people are saying this. The whole "exercise will give you energy" is certainly true as far as it goes, but you do have to push through a tired phase first, and I think lying about that discourages people from exercising when they don't have the accurate facts.

• habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I'm so glad people are saying this. The whole "exercise will give you energy" is certainly true as far as it goes, but you do have to push through a tired phase first, and I think lying about that discourages people from exercising when they don't have the accurate facts.

I've noticed this as well. Sometimes it's just a total slog at first but if I push through for 10-15 minutes something clicks and I get more energy and feel much better. It is definitely a mind game though to get through those first dead on my feet minutes.