What to do the day after a binge?

Options
13»

Replies

• IrZeo
    IrZeo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that binges like those are usually the result of not getting enough healthy carbs in your diet. Not sure if this is accurate or not though... whatever the case, something leads to binges.. you'd do well to find out what. >_< Good luck!
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I can't believe no one has addressed the peanut butter Oreo question! So, so. If you are going to go Oreo, go mint Oreo!

Can you ask your family to keep the sweets out of the kitchen? Could someone keep them in their room? I have tons of sweets in this house but they are in "out of sight, out of mind" locations. If they were on the kitchen counter there is no way I could resist them.

Move on from yesterday. It's over and done and we all do that once in a while, too.
    Yuk

To each his own Oreo, I guess!
  • artisticdesires
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    hey beautiful. Thanks for the vulnerability. This issue is super complex and because it's 'just food,' I think we and everyone around us feels like we'll just eventually stop the behavior, get over it. But 'just food' has been my drug of choice for my entire life. I feel ya. so hard. I'm married and I have to lock all carbs other than fruit and veggies in a room that I can't get to at night. And be brutally vulnerable with someone I live with. For me, that's the husband. Who doesn't really stop me if I decide to do this anyway. last night, didn't lock it up,, totally binged. you can look at my food diary. i say, for now, don't tiptoe around it and try to figure out why--Just treat yourself like a doctor would and set yourself up however you can to make it impossible to do this to yourself. You are the best rehab facility you have right now. No one will understand exactly why we do this but us, and so don't expect anyone to be as serious and concerned about it as you will need to be to survive this--Maybe complete freedom from an addiction is possible, but most addicts don't leave their drugs available to themselves, no matter how 'recovered' they are. You're going to have to get real with these roommates. Lock that *kitten* up and ask for understanding and help. I would love to dialogue further, if you feel like that would help.
    Thank you <3 . They don't understand, i guess. To them its as simple as, "just don't eat it" . Its NOT that simple. I'm recovering from Bulimia right now, and almost every weekend we have junk food in the house. I can't deal. I'm really trying to get better, but it makes it so hard to have all these foods here. It's taunting me. I've already broken down today. And to some people it seems like such a trivial thing to cry over, it does to me too, its just FOOD right? One of the most basic human needs. Yet its making me crazy.

Just read this - and I take back my comment about the lemon oreos (truth be told, if I had a box of lemon oreos in my kitchen, I'd probably eat the entire thing). Anyway, just want to reiterate, be as kind to yourself as possible. I unfortunately have no advice regarding what to do about the food still being around. I live alone and mostly don't buy those things because I have no control over them when I do - and sometimes I lose control and do buy them knowing that I will binge. And other times the desire to binge is so strong, that I will binge on healthy foods - even broccoli... I say this as an adult who was diagnosed with an eating disorder as a teenager. Some people claim full recovery and I envy them. For me, the mentality is almost always there in some form. I lOVE food, but a cookie is never just a cookie. For me, focusing on healthy food and making it fun (ie. transforming recipes - creating healthy ones - but even then, the desire to binge is sometimes there), has been key, as has finding alternatives to foods that I love. I'm not sure if this message is helpful...but I wish you the best.
    "a cookie is never just a cookie" AMEN. i don't understand people who eat sweets in moderation, what even is moderation? I'm an all or nothing type of girl. I hope one day i can claim full recovery. I'm just going to exercise today, and plan my dinner. How do people fully recover?....The habits and mentality is always there, even if its just a glimmer of it,in the back of your brain. i think it all comes down to making a choice, every single time you're confronted with food, until your own voice overpowers the ED voice. And I hope one day, we can both fully find this land of "moderation" people speak of.

• artisticdesires
    Options
    IrZeo wrote: »
    I read somewhere that binges like those are usually the result of not getting enough healthy carbs in your diet. Not sure if this is accurate or not though... whatever the case, something leads to binges.. you'd do well to find out what. >_< Good luck!
    i'm just going to up my cals, to 1700-1800. I'm very active and on top of that i exercise pretty vigorously. Yet i tend to panic if i go over 1500. Upping my cals is better than binging any day.

• artisticdesires
    Options
    zillie77 wrote: »
    Looking at your profile, it seems like you have been able to lose quite a bit of weight! That is terrific! I know it is tempting to think about fasting, or doing something extreme after a binge to try to negate its effects, but I have found that when I have a day of overeating it is best to just get back on track the next day with my usual plan of staying within a calorie budget and exercising. Sometimes avoiding all sweets for a few days can help as well. I usually toss out whatever is tempting me, or ask someone else in the house to put it somewhere discrete so I won't encounter it.

Best of luck, darling!

haha thank you! 45 down, 45 to go. And yeah taht's one of my biggest downfalls. It kind of just gets me stuck in a binge/fast/binge cycle. I'm just going to have to stop feeling sorry for myself up and just get right back on track tomorrow. gotta remember one day of binging is not going to make me fat.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are going to have Oreos you MUST try the Pumpkin flavor!!! To the OP,maybe you can talk to your family about keeping those items in another room. It actually easier for me not to binge if I don't have the foods in my house, but since its shared food you have to sit down with your family and work on it together.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. Listen to how your body feels. Drink water. Eat when you're hungry, and make sure you get some fresh produce in today :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Don't binge.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I understand! Holy crap do I ever understand. I have issues with bingeing myself and it's a slow process to learn to prevent it. Try not to bring binge foods into the house in the first place. If you don't buy them, and they aren't around, it's harder to run out and specifically get them to binge on. More opportunity to stop yourself.

As for the day after and doing damage control, I like to make sure I get plenty of exercise and eat light. Not fasting, not skipping meals, but just have lean proteins, low cal soups, salads with 2 Tb. light dressing, stuff like that, use fruits and raw veggies as snacks. Try to stay busy to keep your mind off of the whole thing and keep your stress level down.

Make sure you are getting your vitamins and minerals (take supplements if necessary) because deficiencies in these nutrients can bring on a binge. People who binge on chocolate are often low in magnesium for example. Feel free to message me if you need more support!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Quieau wrote: »
    Your brain forces you to gasp for air and to replenish your oxygen supply. Did you fail? Are you weak because you couldn't hold your breath forever? Of course not. Same with food. If you are binging, that is gasping for food. Your body is demanding nutrition. If you eat a steady, high nutrition adequate-in-calories diet, you won't need to binge anymore. You'll be breathing deeply metabolically, and restoring function to your brain and body as well as establishing new habits along the way. Slow and steady wins the race. Make sure you never eat below your BMR and make sure you're getting your macros right. You'll be fine ...

I don't think you quite understand the psychological aspects of bingeing. People don't binge on lean proteins and fresh veggies. This is all about emotional comforting and not about adequate nutrition.... The OP needs therapy to deal with bingeing issues. The body is not demanding nutrition, the brain is demanding stress relief and comfort.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    And other times the desire to binge is so strong, that I will binge on healthy foods - even broccoli... I say this as an adult who was diagnosed with an eating disorder as a teenager.

This is pretty rare... almost all bingeing is on unhealthy choices (from what I've seen & heard).

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have started off a binge with healthy stuff and moved on from there. You may begin with something like celery with a little light ranch dip..... but then next you're eating fattening cheese on crackers, and then after that, you're scouring the cupboards for something sweet.... Oh dear, you've found a bag of chocolate chips, it's all over now!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do need to eat today! Please do not starve! We all make mistakes, we are human. If it is your time of month, that could be why you binged. But anyway, put it behind you, ignore what happened, and eat all your calories each day. I don't think a day of binging would make you gain weight.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There's loads of good advice in this thread and it's difficult because what works for one person will not work for someone else. Definitely you need to forgive yourself for the binge and move on, loads of guilty feelings are only going to be harmful. Try to learn from it, think about what triggered it and if there is anything that might have and then next time you feel the emotions or situation arise at least you can be aware of the potential for problems before the cravings come.

For me I try to only buy snacks for my husband that I don't enjoy. Or if I need to buy tempting food I only buy it in the quantity I need for everyone else so there will be nothing left over. I also sometimes buy myself something on plan that I wouldn't usually buy because of cost or convenience but that I really enjoy eating and then it feels like I'm having a treat too.

I think it really helps to constantly think about what is causing you to binge and sometimes there's more to it than you first think. I've been on MFP since January and struggling with self control on occasions and I always thought the triggers were emotional or hormonal. I literally just realised this week that although those are triggers - I cope much better with my emotions and hormones when I've had enough sleep. When I'm tired I get really badly affected and want to head straight for the drive thru. That kind of information will mean I'm better armed to prevent myself getting to the point where I have my face in a packet of doughnuts.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Shrug it off avoid the scale workout w cardio and keep in macros
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has addressed the peanut butter Oreo question! So, so. If you are going to go Oreo, go mint Oreo!
    I knew those PB ones were either going to be the single greatest cookie in the history of the world or so-so.

The lemon ones sound fantastic, too!

Mint, though...I don't even have the desire to try it. Never been a fan of mint and chocolate, though.

Thanks!!! :)

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day.

I ate 4000 calories yesterday. I used to atone for my 'sins' on the treadmill, but my knee is damaged right now. Just don't let it keep you dow . Brush it off and jump back on that blasted horse.

Some people do well with moderation. They can keep high calorie foods in the home and have it last for at least two days, but for some of us... This does not work. You may have been able to control yourself all week, then something comes along and triggers your need to binge..

So maybe if you can, limit the amount of high calorie foods around you.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    And other times the desire to binge is so strong, that I will binge on healthy foods - even broccoli... I say this as an adult who was diagnosed with an eating disorder as a teenager.

This is pretty rare... almost all bingeing is on unhealthy choices (from what I've seen & heard).

Heard where? I was talking about my own experience. I'm sorry you find this odd... (And I find it odd that you take issue with it.)