My personal tip for the treadmill / elliptical

Options
I stumbled upon a few tips from a friend a long time ago and it has helped me a lot in my recent week of beginning fitness. When i'm on the treadmill, I use my phone and watch netflix. Find a show that has multiple seasons and watch netflix and the time just flies by.

I apologize for those who don't have a smart phone. I just want this info to reach as many people as it can :) It has helped me a LOT this week. The time just flies by and you get to watch some great shows.

I suggest: House, Sons of Anarchy, Heroes, Family Guy, American Dad, etc. There are so many wonderful series on netflix. Of course you can watch movies too, or watch anything on there. I just prefer series ^_^

Replies

• jwolford90
    jwolford90 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Reading is great too! ^_^
  • michele89
    michele89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can't concentrate enough to read while moving on a treadmill, but I totally watch the TV at the gym or Netflix on my phone! But my go-to is watching music videos on YouTube. I have a work out playlist and the music along with the videos helps keep me going. My list mainly consists of the Black Eyed Peas, the Mars Volta, Skrillex, Psy, and other fast-paced/dance music. Sometimes I'm enjoying myself so much that I start rocking out on the elliptical and it feels awesome! (although, I'm sure I look a bit silly :P)
  • prosedraws
    Options
    The ellipticals/treadmills at my school gym have cable hooked up to them, so I second this! Sometimes when music gets too boring, it's nice to have something else to hold your attention. It really worked for me!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I actually get motion sickness when I try to read on the treadmill. Of course I actually get sick if I text to much in the car so......
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I actually get motion sickness when I try to read on the treadmill. Of course I actually get sick if I text to much in the car so......

I do, too. I never understood how some people can do it. I have to be sitting completely still to concentrate on reading (that goes for texting, too).

But when I used a treadmill (I don't anymore, sister sold hers), I'd watch Netflix. The time seemed to pass much faster.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    My fiance loves watching TV while on the treadmill.

But for me doing the elliptical is so unpleasant, it makes my brain cloud over. It's like I'm bored but I'm also just uncomfortable enough to not be able to concentrate on anything else besides how uncomfortable I am. Even when I listen to music it doesn't help much, although maybe that's because my stupid gym plays the music so loud I still hear their music over mine. So even if I had a smartphone, I couldn't concentrate on watching TV or reading or anything, I don't think.

Anyway my solution was to switch to doing tae bo instead :smiley: I feel kind of guilty though because I just renewed my gym membership in July and haven't used it in weeks. Maybe I'll go back someday!
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I find reading or watching show distracting while on the elliptical, and my pace drops as a result. I listen to music, but the only thing I watch is the graph of my heart rate as I pound through the interval training session. For me, the time goes much more quickly when I'm focused on keeping the intensity up.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    LOL, I can never understand how people can read or watch TV on the treadmill. I just can't concentrate enough for that. All I do is pop on the tunes (I have a RUN playlist on my iPhone) and zone out.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love netflix when on my treadmill, Right now I'm watching "world war 2 in colour" Makes the 30 minutes fly by!
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've tried watching TV while on the treadmill but ours is to the side of it. I have to turn my head to watch and with my balance issues I feel like I'm about to fall off even with holding on the sides.
    Instead, I take my Kindle and read. I can read a book in a week just on the treadmill. So I have surpassed my reading challenge on Goodreads. Yay! :)
    It took me a while to learn to read on the treadmill because of the jumping motion. Eventually, I've learned to steady it and have loved my time on the treadmill because of it.