Gall bladder removal, effects in weight?

Hi everyone
I had my gall bladder removed at the end of august and I was 5.5 months post partum. I still haven't taken off the baby weight but I started by buckling down this week and after a good week a put on a lb. wondering if anyone had has any experiences of not losing after gall bladder removal or am I just jumping the gun. I usually always have a good loss the first week. It's also mid cycle so maybe that has to do with it. Tia

Replies

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Mid-cycle, toss those numbers. Seriously, they'll make you crazy. Weigh in three days or so after you finish, and you'll like that number a lot better.

That being said, I didn't start my journey until after I had my gallbladder removed. I didn't have any problems associated with it that I noticed. But bile dumping? Yeah, my doctor didn't bother to tell me about that little gem. I could have used that information beforehand. So gross. LOL
  • ames_infinity
    ames_infinity Posts: 7 Member
    Thx that's what I think it likely is. First time trying to lose weight while off the pill so probably ovulation. I think I will weigh once a month after my period is over.

lol Bile dumping, never had that problem I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but I'm more on the other end of that problem (tmi sorry lol)
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Hell, I caught it from both ends! LOL *shudder* Really though, TOM is the worst time to weigh. The numbers will catch up with you. You're weighing everything and logging, riiiight?
  • sashachilders18
    sashachilders18 Posts: 44 Member
    What a coincidence I got mine removed this September and I've just healed. I got out of the hospital and broke my plateau I had at 210. I was trying to break it before my surgery for 3 months. I'm just starting to get back into trying to lose weight so I hope it's much easier. Apparently I had been passing stones for years, and I think that's when I started to gain weight too.

Feel free to add me and we can keep in touch about it.
  • ames_infinity
    Thx girls! Yes the last week has been great, at cal goal and at least 30 min of exercise a day. Hoping to see a big loss next time u get on, which will be in a couple weeks :) Sasha you are added. Good to hear you got it out, I don't regret the terrible pain, wurst next to child birth. And great to hear about your getting out of the plateau! Those r hard to persevere through.
  • mommyofjan
    mommyofjan Posts: 65 Member
    I had my gall bladder removed a long time ago. I only notice a difference when I eat greasy high fat foods. That must be the "bile dumping" you are referring too :s
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    My gall bladder has been gone since 2005. No issues at all. And I don't eat greasy high fat food anyway so I've never had that issue.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    When I had to have mine removed a few years back my friends *insisted* I was going to lose "so much weight."

Yeah. Didn't happen. Honestly, I saw no change from it, aside from no longer being able to eat peanut butter. ((sob))

Definitely give it a couple weeks before you start weighing in - heck, it took me a MONTH before I saw loss after I started adding weights to my routine. Just keep at it. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    The gallbladder removal shouldn't affect your weight loss at all, except occasionally you may miss a few calories when you don't have the chance to thoroughly digest everything due to the bile issue.
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    I wasn't really keeping track back then, but when I had mine out, I'd guess I gained some weight because I could eat without feeling like I was about to give birth to a xenomorph.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    I had my gallbladder removed in 2002 and shortly after that is when I slowly but surely gained weight. I think it had some effect but also I became a little less active (I didn't go out and dance or drink 4-5 nights a week anymore). You would think that would have been a push since drinking is empty calories.

I had a hard time eating greasy foods
  • ames_infinity
    Thx guys. I had some people tell me it does so not sure if there was truth to it or if it's rare or if they maybe like jae says is because they can eat freely again (lol btw). I was hoping it doesn't make it more difficult as obviously I can't go back l not that I would want to. And jenn yes I think I'm seeing some water. Not expecting biggest loser results but I think it's best to stay away from the scale for a bit :)
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    My surgeon left a sponge in after my gallbladder removal. I gained 10 pounds of water weight.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    LeonCX wrote: »
    My surgeon left a sponge in after my gallbladder removal. I gained 10 pounds of water weight.
    c82acb5bb9085a1324081be9b7c9e7bd.jpg

8415e902726dd87dccd245ddf92218c8.jpg

• AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    I had mine removed about seven years ago, but definitely never had issues with losing weight or maintaining. But yeah, when you hit mid-cycle, you tend to retain water, so that'll add a little weight. Don't sweat it. I see that happen kind of often. :)
  • ames_infinity
    Wow I hope that's a joke

Thx star!
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    I had mine removed, but then had an emergency total hysterectomy less than 4 weeks after. I was fairly thin before both procedures and have struggled since. I am either big or skinny no inbetween anymore.

I think everyone's body responds different :)

after all that I had a major back and knee injury and took 2 years of various steroid treatments that have wreaked havoc on my body. I blame the steroids. I have sworn those off now and will have nothing to blame, but myself for gaining
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member

An Or tech or nurse really missed their item count.
    I hate working in the OR ,so boring. You count everything over and over.

I know this thing happens a lot more than people realize.
  • ames_infinity
    TheRealKit wrote: »
    I had mine removed, but then had an emergency total hysterectomy less than 4 weeks after. I was fairly thin before both procedures and have struggled since. I am either big or skinny no inbetween anymore.

I think everyone's body responds different :)

after all that I had a major back and knee injury and took 2 years of various steroid treatments that have wreaked havoc on my body. I blame the steroids. I have sworn those off now and will have nothing to blame, but myself for gaining

Thx for the input!
  • ames_infinity
    Wow
    TheRealKit wrote: »

An Or tech or nurse really missed their item count.
    I hate working in the OR ,so boring. You count everything over and over.

I know this thing happens a lot more than people realize.
    wow, just wow
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    I had mine removed just over 12 months ago. Yep my friends told me oh you'll lose so much weight!! Yeah nah didn't happen either. However I do have to run to the loo about 5 minutes after I eat anything! Every time
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Nope after I had mine removed I lost weight.