weight loss process - consistent/continuous loss or lose-maintain-start losing again?

Options
Hi
I have managed to break through the last plateau about two weeks ago and now I am again stuck with my current weight. I am only like 2 kg away from my goal weight so I am getting a bit impatient.

I have found though that weight loss doesn't happen continuously. It happens then you maintain your weight before you start losing again. Has anyone found this to apply to themselves? Or is it just me not logging food correctly?

Also if you're already quite thin, is it much harder for you to keep losing weight even if you are doing weight lifting coupled with HIIT five days a week (minimum)? I just can't wait to put an end to this weight loss process and start MAINTAINING weight.

PS: does your weight fluctuate a lot throughout the day? my inches are the same (first thing in the morning before drinking water) but then my weight can fluctuate up to 1kg depending on what time of the day I weigh myself.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    not sure if srs.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Technically, it is easier to lose weight when you are thin, but harder to lose fat. With a low percentage of body fat, you don't have much to lose, and if you are rebuilding muscle by lifting then you're not going to be losing much. But really, if your picture is anything to go by, are you sure you shouldn't be switching over to maintaining right now instead of trying to lose more weight?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Looking at your picture, it looks as if you're already there. Yes your weight fluctuates throughout the day. The purpose of you lifting weights while you were losing was to try to maintain muscle mass.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Technically, it is easier to lose weight when you are thin, /quote]

really? uh....no
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, your weight fluctuates during the day. Easily 5-7 lbs worth of fluctuation. Rather than focusing on the number on the scale, you might be better off looking into body recomposition. 5 lbs isn't going to make much of a difference in how you look at this point.
  • latteking
    latteking Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    With the amount of exercise I do and being very active at home chasing after a toddler, I eat anywhere between 1500 and 1800 calories a day. I am thinking maybe I would need to cut down on calories a little for me to lose the last stubborn 2kg and start maintaining the weight.

I currently weigh 46.8kg and am 159cm tall. It took me 10 weeks to lose 1kg I don't know if this is normal.

• trungalung
    Options
    There's usually a stall for me. I went from 188 to 177 relatively quick and consistent. Then got stuck there for 3 weeks (even went up a pound). Finally broke through it and dropped to 175 the week after. The scale moved down steadily again then stuck at 170 for a whole month. I just got past it this week with a change to diet (incorporating intermittent fasting). I weigh myself today - 166 lbs (dropped 4 lbs in a week, maybe it's water since I changed to a different PWO without creatine). Finally get to the healthy BMI (24 yo, 5'10). Even though I don't really care for BMI, it's nice to know I'm not overweight by government standard :expressionless:
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You are getting very close to underweight (-1 kg), so yes, your body is fighting to keep that weight on your body. Perhaps you should listen to your body and just maintain at your current weight?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
  • latteking
    latteking Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies.
    I find that today I didn't feel too hungry even after a strenuous HIIT workout. I feel that I am on my way to losing weight again for about a week before I stop losing again. We will see.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    You are getting very close to underweight (-1 kg), so yes, your body is fighting to keep that weight on your body. Perhaps you should listen to your body and just maintain at your current weight?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator

This.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Technically, it is easier to lose weight when you are thin, /quote]

really? uh....no

Uh...yes.

3500 calories is the equivalent of 1lb of body fat, but it is the equivalent of 6lbs of muscle. Obviously, our bodies are geared more towards using fat stores rather than muscle when it needs energy, but in starvation mode the body will use muscle to feet vital organs. A person with a small percentage of fat will end up pulling energy from their muscles sooner because there is less fat to pull from and as a result, they will lose weight more quickly with a smaller calorie deficit than will a fatter person.