missed period from dieting?

Options
Hi guys,

So, this month my period appears to be late. Yes, it's possible I could be pregnant (I am really hoping that's not the case haha since I'm only 23).

I have been dieting since October 6th or so and have lost about 3 to 4 pounds since then (I started out around 128 or 129 and now I am around 125, goal weight is 120 which is what I weighed in college). I have never dieted in my life before this point. I've been eating around 1600 calories a day (sometimes more, sometimes less) whereas before I was eating about 1900-2100. Judging by the amount of weight I lost I think MyFitnessPal's recommendation of my daily calorie needs is lower than what it actually should be (I had it set to lose 0.5 pounds per week and I haven't even been 100% consistent with dieting). I haven't been exercising regularly.

I know my body is sensitive to these things because in high school I once didn't get my period for six months when I was on the track team and doing two hours of intense workouts 6 days a week. That was a bit different of a situation...I didn't actually lose any weight while on the track team but I think it was more related to the stress on my body. However dieting is a stress also I suppose.

So I just wanted to know, have any other ladies had period-related issues from dieting? Could this be the cause of it?

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons for missed periods other than pregnancy. It does not seem like your current eating or exercising regimen is "extreme" based on the info you provided so perhaps there is another reason. Or, perhaps your body is just taking a break. It would be good to get this checked out by a women's clinic or gynecologist just to be sure, but, as long as you are not pregnant, try not to worry about it until you have your appointment. Read all about causes here:

http://www.webmd.com/women/tc/missed-or-irregular-periods-topic-overview

Good luck with the outcome, no matter what!

19507081.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy test first. If you were eating at the 1600 range, and you haven't lost THAT much, more n likely its not the dieting.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree. A pound a week is conservative and safe. Usually amenorrhea happens from going very low in body percent or very intense on exercise (or both).

Good luck!
  • PenelopeJoye
    Options
    I lost 13 pounds in a month and kept going to lose more when i got to my goal weight I hadnt had a period for 4 months. Im not sure if its good or bad though
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree. A pound a week is conservative and safe. Usually amenorrhea happens from going very low in body percent or very intense on exercise (or both).

Good luck!
    By 'body percent' I mean 'body FAT percent'.

• coruscatti
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    There are many reasons for missed periods other than pregnancy. It does not seem like your current eating or exercising regimen is "extreme" based on the info you provided so perhaps there is another reason. Or, perhaps your body is just taking a break. It would be good to get this checked out by a women's clinic or gynecologist just to be sure, but, as long as you are not pregnant, try not to worry about it until you have your appointment. Read all about causes here:

http://www.webmd.com/women/tc/missed-or-irregular-periods-topic-overview

Good luck with the outcome, no matter what!

I actually just went to the gynecologist a few weeks ago for a checkup, and he didn't find any problems. And my period has been regular for years.

It's only a couple of days late so I guess I will wait a week and then take a pregnancy test if it hasn't come by then. Really hoping it won't get to that point though :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Things change around your age too. Sometimes when I'm not getting mine, I go to yoga. A few downward dogs sends it right on it's way.
  • coruscatti
    Options
    Ok update, I got my period today :) Glad it was a false alarm!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    OP, glad all is OK. Keep on keepin' on!
  • Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    next time pee on a stick to be sure. ;) better than worrying.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    couple days late is nothing. I'm not really sure why you were concerned. I don't have an exact number of days on any given month. It varies.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Glad you got your period & it was a false alarm. I was gonna say though, I've read & heard too that exercising cuts your periods down a bit or makes them lighter, but never diminishes it completely. So if you ever end up late, definitely take a test or wait a week. Mine is sometimes a week late or so, but seems to always show up.
  • clare120
    clare120 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had been dieting for 40 days (average 1200 per day) and my period was 2 weeks late! It freaked me out at first, but it was just my body adjusting to new fitness levels and caloric intakes. :smile: So yes, it is very possible that your diet is affecting your cycle.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    coruscatti wrote: »
    Ok update, I got my period today :) Glad it was a false alarm!

I was going to say... it's only been a month. It being a few days off is normal sometimes, regardless of diet.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Glad all is well!

I miss periods if I change my exercise routine. Very annoying, but kind of normal for me.