how to stop binge eating?

Options
I've been a binge eater for as long as I can remember. when I dont want to think about food or deal with the struggle of overeating I go to sleep. Sleeping is all i can do to stop thinking about food. If im not consuming something im thinking about doing so. This ends up ruining all of my attempts at getting in shape. (it also doesnt help that I work at bakery either but I can usually resist the temptation) can anyone help me?

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Are you eating enough throughout the day?

Do you prepare and bring your meals to work with you?

Are you tracking your binges?

It was very tough to not give in to those sugary treats that folks used to bring in when I worked in an office setting. I can only imagine how difficult must be to stay on track when working in a bakery.

• kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that!

What helps me:

- Keep myself busy by doing something I enjoy, I understand you're at work but besides that, find a hobby or something to keep you distracted and busy.

- Eat fruits, proteins(Chicken, nuts, eggs), and veges, the more filling food! You will binge less <- takes time to get used to but it works for me, I crave junk food less.

- Drink a lot of water!

Self-control takes time and practice! :)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Fit in what you're craving at your bakery or whatever. Every day have something new, just stay within your calorie goals. Don't treat "treats" like some kind of gateway to behave like a man on death row having his "last meal" before the "diet" starts again "tomorrow." "Tomorrow" never comes for people who eat every day like it's their last meal and ended up being 1000 pounds or something ridiculous.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think you have un-healthy relationship with food. It soudsn like you avoid it up until you want it all.. You need to learn to eat better things. For instant, The whole change it up campaine. Have this.. instead of this. And always tell yourself that. So when you're about to binge. Remember. Have this... apple instead of this block of chocolate. Have this salad, instead of this large burger meal. Have this bowl of cut up carrots instead of this whole packet of chips.

Food is not your enemy, it's something amazing you need to fuel your body and keep happy and healthy. And you should treat food that way.

When you're at the bakery, take food with you for lunch. Take heaps. Take a sandwich and a bunch of cut up veges. Then when you leave remember that that food isn't as good for you as say.. the dinner that you'll make when you get home. Keep telling yourself that those foods you binge on are not full of good nutrients but high in calories. You could eat some roast chicken and veges or... a chocolate bar. I'd rather have more good food which will keep you fuller for longer.

Always prelogg your food for the day. And stick to it. When you're about to give in have something in the fridge you can always go to. I have a bowl of cut up carrots. So when i'm like.. NOPE IM EATING THAT CAKE! i open the fridge and see the bowl. I grab one and eat it. Thus avoiding the calories i was going to eat.
  • killmeimfat15
    Options
    I don't mean to push prozac as a magic pill because it has side effects and works differently for everyone. However, you description makes it look like you may have some anxiety/depression issues. Food is the byproduct of the symptom rather than the actual problem. As the depression and anxiety was treated (for me anyhow) a low does of prozac helped the binge problem fade away slowly.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need talk to someone professionally, if you're sleeping a lot.
    Eating, YOU need to take control of. Learning to eat in moderation takes time and pre-logging definitely helps. Good luck!
  • roromiya
    roromiya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to push prozac as a magic pill because it has side effects and works differently for everyone. However, you description makes it look like you may have some anxiety/depression issues. Food is the byproduct of the symptom rather than the actual problem. As the depression and anxiety was treated (for me anyhow) a low does of prozac helped the binge problem fade away slowly.

I'm actually on 40mg prozac now that you mention it. Thats what really helped me control my binges but I had a lot of issues with dizziness and Im afraid to get back on it.

• roromiya
    roromiya Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Anyway thanks for all the help, I'm really going to push myself to better plan out my meals for the day since that seems to help a lot of people here on mfp.
  • jprivett85
    jprivett85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from binge eating and overeating since I was young. Yo-yo dieted most of my life and gained weight back due to giving in to binge cravings. It is not easy to over come, but I am going on 6 weeks of my diet and binge free! I try the natural appetite suppressants like full glass of water with 2 TBS lemon juice, 2 TBS apple cider vinegar, and a little dash of cayenne pepper. I drink this after I eat when there is enough for me to have seconds, or I am getting binge cravings and the urge goes away. Sometimes just drinking a lot of water before your meal helps. but the power of the mind is key as well. I try to envision how I might feel after I eat all that food. How I will feel about myself tomorrow when I get on the scale OR how I could feel if I don't eat more than I should. This mindset has made all the difference. It's hard that it takes up so much of your time and track of mind but it's crucial for success. You will overcome and you will be triumphant in your efforts. Remember a diet isn't about deprivation, it's about moderation. As cliche as that sounds. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey :smiley:
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    I honestly understand that a lot of the physical actions you could take are quite simple. What often gets overlooked is the mental state you are in when you binge. When you binge, you are not thinking rationally. You are so far inside your head that you are just running the course of eating everything and anything. Aside from these great recommendations of things you can do, the biggest step is to recognize that you are in that state of mind. It's a really hard thing to realize, but it gets easier as time goes on. When you look back on those binges, instead of regret (which will still occur), try to understand what the triggers were and what your warning signs are. That way you can work towards preventing them. It took me a really long time to come to this understanding. Good luck!
  • hannydeee
    hannydeee Posts: 155 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stepping away from counting calories worked for me. I know that might not help, but think of counting calories/trying to lose weight as extra pressure. When you take that pressure away, you can really focus on fixing the problems you have with binges.