Exercising to lose weight

Options
My single goal is to shed some pounds and get to my ideal weight. I am doing at least 5 cardio sessions a week each for about 40 minutes, 4 indoor bike sessions and 1 squash game.

I use a heart rate monitor and when I am on my bike I notice that most of my workout is spent in Aerobic (Endurance). Under that zone is Fat Burning and I am wondering if I should reduce the intensity of my rides to keep my heart rate in the lower zone to burn more fat?

Any experts out there can advise?

0kafzyivkuqf.png

Thanks

Chris

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with zones, the difference in effect is negligible.

Work hard, get results.
  • fishingjts
    fishingjts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep it in the higher zones... don't drop to the "fat burn" zone... Do some searching on HIIT.... it's worked wonders for me for the last two months! (down 50 pounds)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    keep doing everything that works for you.
    be interested if you experiment with HRM during squash too.
  • chrisoldroyd
    chrisoldroyd Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Squash has been a bit disappointing, maybe we are not good enough yet to make a real heavy workout, 6y6drmlev7eb.png
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    thanks for showing that.
    maybe its too stop/ start between points for the hrm.
    still a great burn tho.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    What HRM do you use?
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Adding some interval training into your bike sessions a couple of times a week. There's so much research that has been done into the effects of this. Couple that with your standard cardio exercise and you have a much more effective way of exercising
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i never do steady state anymore....just HiiT (and wgt. training) - 20 minutes, in and done...VO2 zone, baby.
  • chrisoldroyd
    chrisoldroyd Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I currently use a Polar H7 heart rate monitor, it's excellent. I use it with my iPhone but plan on picking up a Polar Loop band that works with it so I won't need my phone all the time.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    My single goal is to shed some pounds and get to my ideal weight. I am doing at least 5 cardio sessions a week each for about 40 minutes, 4 indoor bike sessions and 1 squash game.

I use a heart rate monitor and when I am on my bike I notice that most of my workout is spent in Aerobic (Endurance). Under that zone is Fat Burning and I am wondering if I should reduce the intensity of my rides to keep my heart rate in the lower zone to burn more fat?

Any experts out there can advise?

0kafzyivkuqf.png

Thanks

Chris

Fat loss (total) will always be higher at the higher intensities. When you see studies claiming greater weight loss at lower (fat loss zone) intensities they are referring to fat loss as a percentage of weight loss.

That being said, the purpose of exercise should be to being more fit and have fun!

Weight loss may be a side effect of exercise but is certainly not its only purpose
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Get fit at the gym. Lose weight in the kitchen.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Are there any problems training in the Vo2 max range?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Not really, the effect is to improve VO2Max. In conjunction with cardiac base training (long duration moderate intensity) and lactate threshold training it delivers best effects
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Not really, the effect is to improve VO2Max. In conjunction with cardiac base training (long duration moderate intensity) and lactate threshold training it delivers best effects
    I heard stories of that training that high might end up in cardiac arrest. One reason I stop using my HRM because it made claims I'm working at 95% max HR for HIIT jump rope.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I heard stories of that training that high might end up in cardiac arrest. One reason I stop using my HRM because it made claims I'm working at 95% max HR for HIIT jump rope.

Only if you have an undiagnosed heart problem. Yup, there are a few marathon runners that drop dead from heart attacks 100 yds from the finish line....

keep in mind that most HRMs use 220- your age as your MaxHR which is not very useful for most people.

To the OP....forget you ever hear the term :"fat burning zone" . In the context of weight loss you want to burn more calories than you consume, exercising at a lower intensity may burn a higher proportion of calories from fat but burns a lot fewer calories overall. The fat burning zone is really only of interest to endurance athletes (you have a fairly finite supply of glycogen but even a 140 Kenyan champion marathon runner will have body fat to draw on as an energy source)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

As above, only really a risk if there is an underlying condition.

The three main modes are complementary, so training in the highest ranges only really pays dividends if you're also training in the lower ranges to develop that CV base.

If you're only doing HIIT, then you're getting less than half the effect.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

As has been said, from a fat burning perspective, it doesn't matter. You'll burn a greater percentage of calories from fat at a lower intensity, but the total calories will be lower. Moreover, if you're eating at a deficit, most excess calories will eventually come from fat (some will come from loss of lean body tissue, though lifting weights can minimize that).

From a fitness perspective, it's good to spend about 60-70% of your training below your lactate threshold, and only about 5% or less at maximum intensity. The exact balance depends on your fitness, training volume, and goals.

However, those zones may be meaningless unless you've actually had your maximum heart rate tested. The 220-age formula is meaningless, and the more accurate formulas that have been developed since then still leave a significant amount of variance unaccounted for. According to various formulas, my max heart rate should be around 175-180, but the last time I measured it it was 192.