Exercise after knee surgery

Options
hi everyone,

I am recovering from knee surgery. 4 weeks out, just to clean up arthritis. I want to start working on again. I hate that I was just getting into a routine and now I'm sitting around.

The only limit I have is bending my knee...so I can't do full rotation yet.

Any suggestions to working out now? I have no restrictions from my surgeon.

Thanks

Replies

• wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    some on here. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00300
    I was able to use an exercise bike after a few weeks and back on the road after about 6 weeks, but make sure you get the strength and stability back 1st
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    I had ankle surgery late July and had to be strictly non weight bearing for about 6 weeks. I was allowed to hop behind crutches or a walking frame on the good leg. I did cardio by taking strolls hopping behind the zimmer frame. It was actually pretty strenuous. According to my HRM, my heart rate would be up to 140 within 10-15 minutes, and my burn rate was 250 kcal in 30 minutes. That's the same burn as my normal cardio workout on the elliptical. The calorie burn for "walking on crutches" in the MFP database was pretty much spot on according to my HRM.
  • lookingforlittleme
    Options
    Swimming, aqua aerobics and pilates.
  • cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You could try some cycling on flat routes. That will spare your knees from supporting your own weight and if you avoid ascending uphills you should not force your knee.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Check with the doc before swimming. My PT says it twists the knee and is absolutely forbidden. However, Walking in the pool is good because it reduces weight load, biking is good as long as knee tracks, arm cycling is ok and eventually elliptical. I blew out my knee and am focusing on PT approved leg lifts to build muscle before surgery, OK'd to do bike after week 4. No elliptical until ortho is seen at end of January.

I am going to focus on upper body and some yoga that does not impact the knee. Walking is a great exercise too as long as it is on an even surface and time spent walking is approved by Doc PT.

Love to hear how you are doing!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I'm three weeks post arthroscope to shave damaged cartilage from inside of right knee and behind knee cap. I am allowed to swim but no breaststroke kick and my feet must stay under water when I kick. The previous week I was allowed to swim but not kick (good arm workouts!) I am also doing yoga. My job is pretty active so I am discouraged from walking much outside of work and all sports are on hold at present (I do fencing and brazilian jui jitsu.)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    2 weeks out from knee replacement so wanted to bookmark this thread in case I can glean anything from it. ;) Feeling awesome!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i did the bike almost every day for 9 months after my acl replacement. plus strength exercises as i was allowed. Your doctor shoulda given you a list of what to do, especially exercises to get full range of motion
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am just 2 months post ACL repair. My PT has given me tons of exercises that I could do at different stages of recovery. Lots of time on a stationary bike but also strength training. Connect with a PT and they will get you set up for a good and safe recovery.