Vegan diet and yoga?

Options
I've been looking for a lifestyle change, and I was curious if any of you guys have a vegan lifestyle, and/or do yoga. Any recommendations for yoga DVDs or books are more than welcome!! :)

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    No to the Vegan. But I do enjoy yoga. Gaiam has a lot of yoga videos, and Element has good yoga videos as well. Go to amazon, do a search and then read the both the good and bad reviews.

Or you could always check around your town and find a yoga class. I used to do Bikram yoga (hot yoga) and I loved it, but now I just can't commit the time to classes, they're normally 90 minutes long.
  • slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 25 years.

I like sworkit.com for their yoga sequence as well as
    their calisthenics you can do at home.

It's free online, but I enjoy the app as well.

Best wishes.
  • awoolbright772
    Options
    Is it difficult being vegan?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan but do enjoy yoga. I'm currently into Tara Stiles at the moment. There are also some yoga channels on YouTube that offer free online classes.
  • slvrsrfr
    slvrsrfr Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Not particularly. It's like anything else, you get used to it. If you have
    heartfelt reasons for doing it and know why you're doing it then it
    makes it easier to stick with it.

But to clarify, veganism is a lifestyle choice, it is not only about diet.

In any event, what is sometimes challenging is ignorance, brosciene
    and the push back you might get from some quarters.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options

It requires some research and work
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am vegan but I do not enjoy yoga unless it's just super deep stretching and calming stuff (yin). I hate the super hard-to-hold/balance poses. I respect it, but I'm very impatient and I get frustrated when attempting those stupid fancy flows :grumble:

I like this video, oh boy will you feel like Gumby afterwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2hkO5olZAg
  • givemewillpower
    Options
    I do both :) I would recommend going to at least one real life yoga class per week to make sure your form is good and you don't learn with mistakes
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes to the vegan and yes to occasional yoga! Both are amazing for your health/the planet/animals and not as difficult as you might think :)
  • 15off
    15off Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for almost 10 years, vegetarian prior for over 25 years..Its not difficult at all if you are doing it for ethical reasons (for the benefit of animals) as opposed to health reasons (to improve your health which is a great "by product" for me. Once you fully decide that you do not wish to consume anything that comes from an animal for their benefit, that decision tends to stick..people are not so compliant when trying to follow a vegan plan for the health or weight loss. I practice yoga daily (6 days a week) and would recommend checking out some of the millions of free videos on YouTube. You can "shop around" until you find a teacher you like and then take the next step of investing in that teacher's CD. Enjoy :)
  • Jalabrown76
    Jalabrown76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan. I was vegetarian for years and then transitioned to vegan. I find that I feel my best living this lifestyle. I have practiced yoga sporadically- however I enjoy Bikram yoga mainly (I love the heat) - and at this time I cannot afford the classes. I have not been able to stick with any other yoga styles for any significant period of time.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    sounds too hippy imo
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but my diet tends to consist of meals without meat - especially in the winter. I gave up dairy milk and ice cream which has made a huge difference in how I feel overall. I've been adding avocado to my salads to keep me fuller longer. My biggest problem is that I don't eat soy - I have PCOS and there is too many conflicting stories about how it affects hormones. I have enough trouble with them as it is so it's really the only thing that holds me back from making the full switch.

As for yoga, I like the Daily Yoga app and Yoga for Beginners by Susanne Deason (Gaiam). I use the app the most - it has individual "classes" or if you buy the subscription you can access the programs which puts together 2 - 5 weeks worth of classes into a sequence. I splurged on the subscription (which goes on sale from time to time) and have definitely gotten my money's worth.

I will second the comment that says to go to a real class to check your form. I have a friend (who who started her cert to be a yoga instructor) who corrects my poses but I don't see her often enough. I've been trying to find a studio class that fits my schedule, but so far no luck.

Hope some of this helps!