Mindless Snacking

Options
Before I joined MFP, I never snacked. I only ate 3 (unhealthy) meals a day. I was never hungry in between those meal either. Now that I'm watching what I eat, I can not stop thinking about food. I snack all the time. About 700 of my calories (1400 total) comes from snacks! I wish I could go back to the way I used to eat and just try to eat healthier but I can't. Once you have knowledge of calorie counting, it's almost impossible to stop. Any tips?

Replies

• kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Snacking isn't bad - your body needs it's calories spread out over the day. It's what your snacking on that makes the difference. I try to eat 100 to 200 calories every 2-3 hours, focusing on protein and lots of fresh vegies. Some fruit but it's got sugar which can push me to crave more sugar. Try EAS AdvantEdge protein shakes - 110 calories, 17 grams of protein, don't taste too bad and keep you full for a few hours.

Oh yeah, and what everyone else said - lots and lots of water!
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    It would depend on the types of foods you're eating. We can't see your diary, so it's hard to give specific advice. However, if you eat foods with protein and fiber rather than carbs, you will feel full longer. Also drinking at least 8 glasses of water helps.
  • j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I never ate breakfast and skipped a "regular" lunch all the time - and wasn't really hungry at all, now when I try to eat breakfast I'm hungry all day long!!

Are you drinking enough water? It's the only thing I've found that keeps me feeling full!
  • Robyn1733
    Robyn1733 Posts: 58
    Options
    YOu need to eat more protien in your meals. will keep you fuller longer. I would take a look at what you are eating to make sure it's not just mindless calories.
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As long as those 700 calories of snacks are HEALTHY snacks, don't worry about it! As long as you stay within your 1400 cal. goal, and the QUALITY of your regular meals and snacks are good, then don't sweat it! Eating between meals will keep your blood sugar levels steady, and may increase your metabolism. Best wishes to you!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Choose good snacks.
    Eating 6 small meals a day is one of the best ways to eat
    Breakfast snack lunch snack dinner snack
    The trick is eating good things, have veggies and fruits precut up and always ready to go.
    Portion control, portion things that you want out and know thats how much you get.
    Drink water with everything you eat.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I graze eat and find it works for me. I have breakfast and then healthy snacks during the day, then an evening meal. For me eating every 2 hours keeps me from feeling hungry & keeps my blood sugars level.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Some people need to eat snacks, especially when they're eating fewer calories. If you eat healthy snacks like vegetable sticks, fruits, small amounts of nuts, etc. you won't use up many calories and you'll give your body the extra boost it needs.
  • Crissy143
    Crissy143 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For the most part it's healthy snacking like carrots, raisins, apples, plums, cereal bars, whole wheat crackers, etc. But I do tend to eat too many peanuts (2-3 handfuls a day). I drink about 48-64 oz of water a day. It just amazes me how I much I snack now.