Anybody have success in eating sweets til you're sick?

Options
I am trying to lose weight... Have been for a long while and my weakness is processed fats and sweets (candy, cookies, etc) I was thinking, what if I stuffed myself sick of all these foods I love until I'm sick and never want them again? Think that'd work? I hear of it working with alcohol and cigarette type addictions. input?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eating sweets until I'm sick is how I got to 250lbs in the first place. I understand where the theory comes from but highly doubt it would work.

With cigarettes and alcohol, it tends to work but a) you get much sicker off a "binge" on them than you would off of food, and b) they are very specific products where as sweets come in all flavours etc. Even with gettng sick off booze, most people only avoid that particular type from them on. You couldn't binge on every type of sweet you enjoy to put yourself off each and every one of them.

On further though, I could actually see this as the start of a binging issue.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    why not just count calories?
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    if you crave sweets that won't work. Having done that about a million times I can say from personal experience it didn't anything. Of course you might be smarter than me.

Also - try to find the people who did that with cigarettes or alcohol. Maybe it works when you're 15 and if you never really liked those things to begin with. But people addicted to sweets, nicotine, alcohol: that just doesn't happen.

Also, I doubt you mean "processed fats". Probably just fatty foods. The only really processed fat is margarine, I doubt you are eating tubs of that. Though it's in junk food generally.
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    whoops: "it didn't change anything"
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No.

I find moderation is a much better approach. All the foods I love, fit into my calorie goal while maintaining a balanced diet = win.
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wish. XD I'm pretty sure stuffing myself with sweets and junk until I felt sick is what made me fat in the first place.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    It's probably going to increase your craving for sugar, if anything. And that is one hard thing to turn down, I tell ya hwut.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Doing anything until you're sick sounds like the opposite of success.

I know some people just can't do the moderation approach right off the bat, but it has worked wonders for me. 86 pounds later, I still eat dessert pretty much every night. Try allowing yourself to have a serving of whatever you like every day, and just make room for it in your calorie allowance. :)
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight... Have been for a long while and my weakness is processed fats and sweets (candy, cookies, etc) I was thinking, what if I stuffed myself sick of all these foods I love until I'm sick and never want them again? Think that'd work? I hear of it working with alcohol and cigarette type addictions. input?

No, just no. Your body is addicted to sugar so giving it high quantities is not going to make it change. You will feel sick, but as soon as the feelings of illness wear off and the guilt sets in you'll be right back in the cookie jar.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I have tried this before and it just doesn't work for me, at least not for long. The only lasting aversion I have ever gotten was the last thing I ate before I came down with a stomach bug. Even that went away after a while.

The only thing eating until sick did successfully was contribute to about 30 pounds regained due to binging several days a week, thinking "I'll just eat everything "bad", get it out of my system, and then I'll be ready to get back to it tomorrow". Still dealing with the ramifications of that wacked out thinking now.
  • resistsweets
    Options
    all right thanks for the input, just trying to find a way to beat this.. it really is an addiction to me, i think about how/when/where i'll get my next sweet fix all the time (work, while driving, while with friends, etc.)
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    When I'm not eating well for a few days, I will eventually start craving fruits and want to get back on track. But the train will derail again, I don't think it would be a long-term effective strategy. If you are craving sweets all the time, what about upping the fruit intake? Pineapples, bananas, and grapes all hit the sugar spot very well. Keep some bananas or cut up fruit with you at times you might be thinking of a way to get your next sugar fix.
  • palmer2356
    palmer2356 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I Love sweets! I just make sure I leave room at the end of the day for them. Usually right after supper I eat a SMALL piece of chocolate or sugar free Jello with lite cool whip or pudding with lite cool whip. They're are so many options. For lite desserts. I just make sure I eat it right after supper when I am already full. I still get the taste of sweets but don't over do it because I am not really hungry.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I TRIED THAT WITH COKE AND OMG OM GOMG IT TOTES WORKS I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO REARRANGE MY FURNITURE!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Aversion therapy. Worked for me with Peeps. Gawd I loved those things.
  • resistsweets
    Options
    yeah i'll try to up my fruits. although i guess it's not really just "sugar" i crave, but i specifically crave "granola bars" "cookies" "baked goods" chocolate, etc.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Just stop buying it.