Working off 250lbs....(fingers crossed)

Options
I must lose a significant amount of weight to function in life. I have started water walking 3 times a week, am logging a food journal, and wearing a Garmin active thingy. It has only been 3 days of food tracking and that is helpful. I have been working out for 3 weeks now and have had to slow down because my low back, hips, and legs spasm and make me feel like I am going to fall over. (my heart is good). This is becoming more intensive than I originally planned. It is bumming me out that I can't just feel better after a work out. Can anyone else relate or give me tips? Any and all advice is welcome. I will be starting physical therapy for my back so I can get back to working out more. Oh and I am a young 3 year old female and I am tired of being sedentary. I can do this

Replies

• lisaducharme54
    lisaducharme54 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN!!

I love your last line it shows what a positive attitude you have!! :)

I have one-hundred and forty pounds to lose.

I know what you mean about work-outs, I work out with a personal trainer 3 x a week. When I first started working out I swear it took me five minutes after doing an exercise on the mat just to get up.

Now it's been eight weeks and I was paired with a much thinner person next to me and I had more strength and endurance then she did!

It really goes to show you are stronger then you think. If you start out small, you can keep working your way up and get stronger.

I think keep working out and going to Physical Therapy. 3 days of food tracking is awesome!!

Lisa

• blossomingbutterfly
    Options
    I'm a few months into this now and I will say, it does get easier in the sense of one day you'll notice that you can suddenly breathe and talk while working out, you don't get winded as easily, and you are able to log and record more efficiently.

Kudos to starting and good luck! Don't give up! You CAN do this!
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You seem to be on the right track! Water exercise is the best, imo, and your PT can give you exercises for your back to do in the pool. Anything new that I do makes me hurt, but you will work through this! Take it slow and easy. Never give up! You can do this!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on your achievements so far. I started with 200-225 pounds to lose and am about a quarter of the way there. It IS a long road and it can be daunting, I agree. I think most of all you have to focus on positive changes and the process rather than feeling like you have to race the weight off. :) Hopefully you are making changes that will last a lifetime and that are sustainable for a lifetime, rather than a crazy diet. I have a blog at http://amytenpercent.blogspot.com if you want to read about my experience.

When I first started walking, my body protested, too. It was hard to walk for 10 minutes without pain, which was really frustrating. You take baby steps and get out there every day for an amount of time that is totally doable, and build on it. I can now comfortably walk a 5K, and probably more if I tried. I'm not fast, but I can do the distance which feels great!

I'd like to recommend this blog, too: http://www.300poundsdown.com/. She is really big on taking things slow and doing what you can, as long as you do something. I find her blog really encouraging. (Note that there is some religious stuff that comes up once in a while, which I am not interested in, but she's got other things that really resonate with me.)

Please friend me if you like. I'm a good cheerleader and would be happy to offer support!

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    you will feel better... eventually. you just have to keep doing it. the more weight i lose and the more i work out, they better workouts make me feel, and they less they hurt. (except that i increase intensity all the time so they do hurt some)...

the food will get easier too. make sue you set a reasonable goal. at your size you can still eat a lot of calories and still lose weight and if you try to eat too little you will just be starving and that never lasts. if your doctor gave you a number use it, if not research how to calculate a good number. MFP isnt that great at setting livable goals. check out the tdee method you can learn about it here.

i started out same as you, was gaining on 300 pounds and crossed my fingers, went from sedentary to running half marathons weekly. started out speed waliking and slow jogging for 10 minutes feeling like i was dying... kept adding a little more time and speed and eventually inclines and outdoor runs... not that you will be running thats just what i use as an example... it takes a little time but now i can barely stand days that i dont work out, working out fixes my mind as much as my body.

keep at it and you will be surprised... but be patient... it didnt take a short time to gain the weight, and it will take time to lose it. give yourself a break and dont take yourself too seriously. the best thing i ever realized is that i dont have to be on a diet. i just have to have a healthy lifetsyle.... (with a calorie defecit and activity of course). i can still eat what i want just less of it and i only eat what is worth the calories and what fits...

anyway i feel like i am going on forever so i will stop. ust to clarify, started february of this year, went from 278 to 225 so far.
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Welcome :smile: and YES, of course you can do this! I am halfway to my goal. It's a lot of hard work and dedication, a lot of "no's" to your favorite junk food, etc., but you are SO WORTH IT. Good luck to you :smile:
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Afton, You sound just like me. I sent you a friend request. We can do this together.

19818185.png
  • Relajuice
    Relajuice Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are just starting and this is the most difficult time to get through. Once you have done it for a few weeks it will become part of your lifestyle. Keep it up and great job.
  • aftonmorris
    Options
    You are all so inspiring and real. Thank you, thank you for all your words and kindness. My cup overfloweth <3
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I must lose a significant amount of weight to function in life. I have started water walking 3 times a week, am logging a food journal, and wearing a Garmin active thingy. It has only been 3 days of food tracking and that is helpful. I have been working out for 3 weeks now and have had to slow down because my low back, hips, and legs spasm and make me feel like I am going to fall over. (my heart is good). This is becoming more intensive than I originally planned. It is bumming me out that I can't just feel better after a work out. Can anyone else relate or give me tips? Any and all advice is welcome. I will be starting physical therapy for my back so I can get back to working out more. Oh and I am a young 3 year old female and I am tired of being sedentary. I can do this

You have a long road ahead of you. If you are antsy, you will be miserable and possibly fail. If, however, you can make peace with it and accept the ride, you will be successful in both the short and long term. There is no need to cross your fingers. You, alone, hold the keys to your success. You absolutely can do it - the better question is will you?
  • INSPIRE_SELF
    Options
    you can add me and we can do this together