becoming a planner

Options
I would like to try to start planning out my meals because I have found that when I eat something unplanned is when I fall off the wagon. What are some helpful hints to get this started?? Do you just plan the whole week or just a few days at a time? Do you plug in all your calories at the begining of the day? I think that is what I am trying to do just so then I already have it in my head what I am allowed to eat all day?? I dont know just looking for some good ideas!

Replies

• aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a planner, though it'd probably help me too! I just wanted to wish you luck!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I plan our family menu from payday to payday.. so 2 weeks at a time. If we have something higher in sodium, we have it a day or two after our weekly weigh in so that we can get rid of the sodium before we weigh next.

Daily, I plug in my meals and snacks I know I am having (usually I know snacks in advance on days I work) first thing in the morning so I know how many calories are left if I want to have an additional snack or another serving at a meal, etc. It works for me to plan ahead so I don't forget anything and keeps me on track to pick the right high or low calorie snack later on depending on how many calories I still need.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I plan mine for the next day before I go to bed.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I do this. I'm really into organization and schedules so this method works best for me.

Normally I plan out meals in groups of three. I input my recipes and add them to my diary ahead of time. I also try to input breakfast and lunch ahead of time as well, but allow myself some flexibility in case I'm not in the mood for what I had specifically planned. I do try to plan all the main meals so I can see what I have leftover for snacks. I also input exercise in the morning before I've done it all, I find it really motivating.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It's really, really helpful to sit down each morning and plug in your foods for the day, that way you have a good guideline. I wouldn't be able to plan out a whole week but I almost always do it every morning. You can see all of the nutrient values, too, so you know if you have too much sodium, or not enough protein, etc. That is, if you have those things listed on your nutrients in your food diary.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've always been a planner, so hopefully some of my strategies will work for you.

I plan at least 4 of our 7 dinners for each week. Since I do a big grocery shopping run every 2 weeks, I actually do 2 weeks at a time. I used to try to do all 14 meals, but I found that unexpected things come up that derail a couple days a week. For the other days, I have my standard stuff available- chicken breasts, pasta, beans, fish, brown rice, veggies, turkey burger. I can always come up with a couple meals from those staples. Also, there are usually leftovers that need to be eaten. I also have spaghetti sauce, soup, chili, in the freezer that can be zapped and eaten quickly.

My lunches are either hummus, veggies in a pita with a yogurt and fruit, or leftovers with the yogurt and fruit. I switch up the veggies and hummus.

I plan which supper idea will be made a day or two in advance. The decision is based on what my lunch will be that day, what the activities of the kids are (time management), what the weather will be like (can we grill or not), that kind of thing. We eat very little beef, so I'm rotating chicken, fish, turkey burger, and meatless meals. Try to keep that in mind so we don't have chicken breast 2 days in a row.

I can then plug my calories in for the day right away in the morning. I know my lunch, I know my dinner, and I've had breakfast. I don't usually do it, but on occasion I have just to be certain I'll be ok.
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    I am a planner by nature. I plan my meals for the week, make a list, and stick to it at the store/farmers market. That eliminates foods from my shelves that I shouldn't be eating (well, most of the time!). Then I usually try to plug most of my day into the diary in the morning, so I know exactly what and how much I can eat that day. If I'm going out to eat, I always look up the menu beforehand so I can make better choices. And you'll always have days where nothing goes as planned!!
  • wendimarlow
    wendimarlow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to become a planner :) I feel it helps to plan out my day using the food diary here at MFP first thing in the morning or sometimes even the night before and then packing my lunch or dinner accordingly for work. Then, there are no surprises at the end of the day. I would definitely like to be a few days or even a week ahead planner, so if any of you have helpful hints, would love to hear about them!
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I plan our family dinners out a month in advance but my daily meals and snacks I plan out in the morning while I drink my coffee. I tend to end up with way too many calories left at the end of the day if I don't plan it out in the morning.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I dp it a day at a time at night I plan the next days meals then I know what I have left for the in between snacks