Xanax and weight?

Options
Hi! I know my question is slightly random, but what are some effects on my hunger and weight on Xanax. I recently went on it for anxiety, maybe once a day, maybe one pill every 3-4 days. I have noticed that while I feel VERY calm, I want to eat. All. The. Time.

Have you been on Xanax? Have you noticed anything?
Thank you!

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I take 0.5-1mg daily and have for the past ~3 years. I have not noticed that effect in fact quite the opposite - when I'm not as worked up, I'm not as likely to shove food in my pie-hole.
  • jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Makes me want to eat junk food. Almost as bad as smoking pot.
  • trenzalours
    Options
    It use to suppress my appetite. I think it all depends on the body and the person taking it. If anything I was way to chilled out after taking it to even want to make or get food. But this was a few years ago! I'm on Klonapin now and it really suppresses my appetite and I keep needing to add those extra calories in whenever I can.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've been on various dosage since 2005, I actually just came off of it. I took as high as 6 mgs 3 times daily and I never associated wanting to eat more with that pill. I blamed Abilify for that. Is that the only RX you take? So many affect appetite. I've been on Topamax (for migraines) and have lost 15 lbs they just added in Adderall and I've lost another 5. It was fun at first not enjoying food, not so much 6 after a few weeks.

You may have to talk to talk to your doc, weigh the pros/cons.

Best of luck.
  • jamilynn_8890
    jamilynn_8890 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed it make a difference either way. Are you currently taking anything else?
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I was on Xanax a couple years before I changed my diet, so I can't say too much about it now. But, at the time, my appetite didn't change so I didn't gain or lose any weight. As cindyhoney2 mentioned, talking with your doctor about the side effects you're experiencing would be beneficial for you.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    I am currently not taking anything else.
  • trenzalours
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor and explain your journey into a healthier life and your concerns. Hopefully he/she can shed some more light onto this for you! Maybe another anxiety medication is needed or maybe even adding some vitamins to your diet to help balance things out.
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was on Xanax for about 3 weeks 2 or 3 years ago. My doctor had me try it while trying to figure out what medicane would work best for me. In those 3 weeks I remember I gained 4 pounds and called my doctor back and told her that it wouldn't work.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Medications are going to affect each individual differently. A medication does not make you gain weight, eating too much does.
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Medications are going to affect each individual differently. A medication does not make you gain weight, eating too much does.

YES! I completely agree with you... just wondering if Xanax makes others more hungry...?