Exercising right after waking up

Options
So I was wondering if it's okay to jog or even do resistance training (e.g. Pilates) right when you wake up before eating breakfast. I feel like if I do that then I can just get it over and done with and go about my day rather than waiting to eat then wait an hour, so on and so forth. I feel like it cuts into my time for the day. So do you think it's okay to exercise on an empty stomach or even immediately after eating something quick and small like string cheese or a banana?

Replies

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm in no way an expert as I've only been running for a few months, but 90% of my runs are first thing in the morning before breakfast. I rarely eat anything before I go. On my long run days (60-90 minutes) I may have a banana or quick protein shake - but never a full meal.

For my schedule it just works best to work out first thing in the morning then go into work rather than try to find time in the evening when we have so many family/kids activities going.

• bebenevaeh
    bebenevaeh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Some people can handle training on an empty stomach others cannot. But i would recommend something small or u will have no fuel for ur workouts
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I go for fasted walks, they are pretty good for me. I have also done fasted weight lifting with no noticeable reduction in performance. I think it is something you need to try for yourself and see how your body responds. I would suggest having a few glasses of water beforehand.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's totally a personal preference, some people find it best to work out fasted. Others, like me, can't get out of their own way before food. I'm noticably weaker and have less stamina before I've eaten - even coming out of the train station on my way to work, I plod up the stairs and am tired at the top, same stairs a couple hours later after eating and I can jog up them.

Try it and see how you go.
  • friedzucchini
    friedzucchini Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    According to the Body for Life Program you exercise on an empty stomach. But anyway I can't have food in my stomach most times when I run, so unless it is a half marathon I will run on an empty stomach, fueling after 45 min of activity. Most of the time that is what I do. But I am not skinny :) that's why I'm here :#
  • aviatrix333
    aviatrix333 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually just spoke with my doctor about this and he said that you will burn more fat on an empty stomach. However, if you don't have enough energy to get a good workout in, it could be counter productive. I usually wake up early and workout before breakfast, It gets my metabolism revved up for the rest of the day and I have more energy.
  • trenzalours
    Options
    I always exercise on an empty stomach right in the morning! Whether it's my yoga or even my walks. I always feel great afterwards and I'm ready to eat my breakfast.

I've always had issues eating right after I wake up though - I always feel sick! But since exercising before eating it's been so much easier on me.
  • whitewolf1200
    whitewolf1200 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can't do it because I always feel exhausted and nauseous. It's definitely do-able and I applaud people who do it because it gets your workout of the way for the rest of the day. So if you can do it without getting sick, go for it.
  • ronitperman
    Options
    Its totally depend on your stamina, some people doing exercise in an empty stomach and some other people prefer it after breakfast. I walk daily before taking my breakfast and it is good for me.
  • Soundbodysoundmind
    Soundbodysoundmind Posts: 45 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Okay awesome! I just hate waiting around and sometimes I can't wait, I just need to do it or else I know I won't later... Thank you! I'll do cardio on empty then weight barring on days I know I have time to do it and eat. Thanks you guys! ☺️
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I actually just spoke with my doctor about this and he said that you will burn more fat on an empty stomach.

The studies i've seen say that's true only with easy, low-intensity exercise, not challenging workouts. Here's an example:

"Our results support the hypothesis that endurance training enhances lipid oxidation in men after a 12-h overnight fast at low relative exercise intensities (22 and 40% Vo2 peak). However, a training effect on [lipid oxidation] was not apparent at high relative exercise intensities (59 and 75% Vo2 peak)."
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/86/2/479

Higher intensity exercise burns more calories per hour, so it's more efficient for fat loss.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i did fasted cardio every morning to prep for my figure show, melts fat right off. plus i feel awseome all morning
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with exercising right after you wake up, just take your time and don't over do it.

I personally can't work out effectively if I haven't eaten yet and I absolutely hate getting up early in the morning to work out.

Other thing, doesn't matter when you workout as long as you go and are enjoying yourself. I used to workout in the evenings but I found it was getting harder and harder to go. I started going during lunch time and I'm finding myself more motivated and not having to compete for the squat rack is kinda nice :P
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So I was wondering if it's okay to jog or even do resistance training (e.g. Pilates) right when you wake up before eating breakfast. I feel like if I do that then I can just get it over and done with and go about my day rather than waiting to eat then wait an hour, so on and so forth. I feel like it cuts into my time for the day. So do you think it's okay to exercise on an empty stomach or even immediately after eating something quick and small like string cheese or a banana?

I do 80% of my workouts within 30 minutes of getting up and on an empty stomach. I like it, as I am a swimmer, and I like a good meal after my swim (swimming notoriously makes one hungry). So breakfast after my training is just a good way for me to do it.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning right after I wake up and can't have anything to eat prior to it (other than something small like half an apple) or it makes me nauseous. I generally try to put some kind of slow digesting protein in my stomach the night before like nonfat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or protein drink with casein so that I don't wake up starving. Works for me and I take a pre-workout drink for added measure.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My favourite time of day to run is 5:00AM but I must confess to chugging down a coffee before I head out the door.

I find that I actually have more energy for the rest of the day.

Some people hate working out first thing in the morning, give it a try and judge for yourself.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i regularly work out before breakfast. i'll have some coffee as i'm waking up, and usually am working out about 30 minutes after getting out of bed.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine imo. I havent seen any decent studies on whether its more effecive on weight loss, but as has been pointed out you need to have enough energy to do the workout. Monitor yourself and see if you have the energy to do whats required all the way through and you dont run out of energy. Even soemthing like a banana and water is a ood pre workout snack, but if you are doing workout straight away it will probably not ge into your system quik enough to benefit you.

Try it and see if you like it.

I prefer to have eaten something for energy.
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about working out in a fasted state. I heard that most calories burned come from fat storages b/c there is no food to burn. I also workout first thing in the morning and I am meeting my weight goals.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning before eating anything. I exercise anytime between 6:30 and 8.30 I will then have something to eat at 9am. Hasn't impacted me.