Diabetic Type 2 Support

Options
Hello;
My name is (Nat)alie, and I am 38.
I was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and am very over-whelmed by the daunting life-style changes around me. I have a lot of family, friends, and people I know with Type 1 or 2 diabetes, however unfortunately none of them are good examples of how to look after yourself.
They all don't take the diagnoses seriously and still eat what they want, and don't look after themselves, and for me this is a wake up call. Almost like I was waiting for something this extreme to kick me *kitten* to get healthy, be a better me, and really take this seriously....but WOW no idea where to start, how to feel and still feeling worried that I wont figure it out or navigate through how to start...
Anyways looking for friends that can be supportive, motivating, share info (diaries to look at), and just share in this journey together. Thank you so much for reading!
cheers~ Nat :)

Replies

• Swtsassy65
    Swtsassy65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello 09NewMe12. I also have diabetes type 2. I found out last November though I thought I Had it a lot longer. I also have been overwhelmed and still am at times. I sent you a friend request and maybe we can support each other and I can give you some ideas of what has worked for me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    09NewMe12 wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, and am very over-whelmed by the daunting life-style changes around me.
    T2 diagnosis can be overwhelming, it's a lot to process. Undergoing major lifestyle changes is an intimidating process. The good news is that many people have made these changes and maintained their success. Type 2 diabetes can often be well controlled with a combination of diet and exercise.

I'll be honest, I was afraid when I was first diagnosed a few years ago. I used that fear to drive a lifestyle change. I didn't try to change it all overnight. I broke it down into smaller pieces to make it easier to handle. Small dietary changes at first, fewer carbs more vegetables (again watching the carbs). Then I added in a little bit of exercise - simply walking at first. Over time all the small changes added up. In the course of a year I had completely changed my lifestyle.

You have be committed to make the changes.

Heres' some general information about diabetes:
    http://www.phlaunt.com/

You can also ask your doctor about putting you in touch with a diabetes educator.

Here's a MFP diabetes support group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

Good people there.
  • patbelford
    patbelford Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat three years ago (also at 38!). I was able to lose 90 pounds and get my blood sugar cholesterol and blood pressure under control without having to go on meds. I'd be happy to give you some pointers if you want them.