TOM (that time month) UGH!!!!! HELP!

Options
Hi all!

I joined this site 3 weeks ago and I lost 5 lbs in the first week!!!!!!!!! Kicked butt!!!!!!!

THEN....I started my period and I have gained 3 lbs back!

Ok guys look away, unless your wives go thru this...lol!

WTH! Here we go honestly and everything...

I am on my period, started wed, and i gained this week 1.5 bls, and I was up another pound! GRRRRRRRRRR.....lol....how much does being TOM (that time month) affect us, and when does it go away...when you are done. UGH!!!! I am in a great mood though cuz the sun is shining finally here in Indiana, and I get to play in the mudd, gardens and cut grass!!!!!! Love that stuff, and great exercise...but back to my period crap!!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    OMG, I'm going through the EXACT same thing right now, except mine hasn't even STARTED yet and I've gained 1.2 pounds since yesterday! It's so depressing, I'm like "How heavy am I going to be when it's actually here?" But usually when the bleeding stops, things get back to normal... It's just frustrating at the time! :explode:
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My cycle affects my weight quite a bit. I gain 2-3lbs during ovulation, and they stick around until TOM gets here (around 2 weeks). That usually causes another 2ish lb gain which sticks around for about 4 days after it starts. Then the scale drops back down. Sometimes it drops by 2-3lbs overnight, and other times it's slower depending on how much sodium I had (another can or worms!).

Lots of water and staying active helps, but there's only so much you can do. :tongue:

The joys of being a woman...:grumble:
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    Yup! It happens! :-) Most likely the weight you have gained is nothing more than water weight. Keep doing what you are doing and after your TOM you should be back to normal again.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    AmysNewBeginning Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    thanks haley, and YES IT IS GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!! but glad that is how this is hopefully gonna work for me too!!!!!!!!!! You are doing great and do you realize we are the same dang weight! you look great in your other pictures too, and today i put a pic that was just taken last weekend....i like the other pic better to keep me motivated, but this one is the real me in time! lol!!!! i'll prob change it back today!!!!!!!!!!!! hugs!
  • Jamiemielke
    Jamiemielke Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This happens to all of us!!! I plateau for like 2 weeks before I get my period,then I get it and I have like a 3-5 pound loss..hang in there:) being a girl is hard work :)

sw:252
    cw:212
    gw:160
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Dont weight yourself during TOM is my advice cause you can gain 1 - 6 pounds in water. Try and eat as properly as you can but allow yourself what you need and WANT too. It isnt true weight gain cause after your done it will go away. Drink more water to help with it too
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes it happens to basically all of us. Honestly when it's that time for me (like now) I don't even weigh myself....it's just to depressing, lol! I just wait for the following week and see what the scale says then.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    i should have waited too! good job on your 6 lbs, that is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrr. sucks to be a woman sometimes huh? :) but we look better! lol!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    yes it is hard work, and wow you have lost a lot of weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! way to go girlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so inspiring!!!!!!!!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    yes, the joys of being a woman!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinker:
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-5 pounds during my TOM, but it goes away after a week or so. So when it happens, I don't stress out over it any more. I know it's just bloat. Don't let it get to your head!!!
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 yr old that I am still breastfeeding, so it has THANKFULLY kept my TOM away...however, i'm starting to get them back irregularly. I have now had 2 TOMs. The first time, I jumped up 4lbs overnight and then started the following day.

This time, I only gained about 1.5lbs. I maintained at that weight for the duration of my period, and then toward the last day or 2, I noticed the scale and the bloat going away. As soon as TOM is finished though, I lose very quickly for a few days after.
  • pachiri
    pachiri Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Since we are all on this topic...I hate going to the gym during this time cuz well it's gross and i worry about "mishaps". AND how do you not give into the craving? I'm new to MFP and this has been an on going issue with me. 1st day is always the worst and the last thing i want to consider is going to the gym.
  • hmh2
    hmh2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I was freaking out this morning. I had gain 3lbs in 2 days. I have yet to start and I am just as active as I have been and now I weigh the same as I started 2 weeks ago. I guess Aunt Flow really effects us alot more than mood swings. I am glad I am not the only one bothered by this.
  • cocobeenie
    Options
    My weight and bloating starts at ovulation but I know its water weight and I dont realy let it bother me. Just keeeeep goin.... And then soak in the time when my period is done and im not bloated anymore and the scale makes real movement.

Pachiri-as most of us all know and understand, losing weight is NOT EASY. Going all the way might be the hardest thing you ever do. So sometimes you have to just pick yourself up amd go to the gym without thinking about it. Just do it, push yourself and you will love the rewards. And yeah, sometimes doing anything on your period feels gross but you should be fine if you go to the bathroom right before your workout and make sure you wear a pantyliner. As far as the cravings go, I'll admit, I eat the chocolate. But in really small portions. I get one square, take tiny bites, let it melt in my mouth and just eat it reallllllly slowly. I guess this approach could be used for any craving food.
  • pachiri
    pachiri Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you cocobeenie!
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I found this article on Mayo clinic's website, thought that you may be interested in it

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water-retention/AN01680

Water retention: Are there any natural diuretics?
    Is there a natural diuretic I can take — something without a prescription — for water retention that causes weight gain?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    Some herbs and dietary supplements, such as dandelion, ginger and juniper, may have a diuretic effect that can help with water retention. But proceed with caution before you take anything.

First, water retention (edema) may have a medical cause. Talk to your doctor about possible causes of water retention or bloating before trying to treat it yourself. Also, even some so-called natural diuretics or supplements can be harmful, affect medical conditions you have or interact with medications you take. Some herbal supplements contain multiple ingredients, and they aren't regulated by the government, so you may not know exactly what you're getting or how much.

In theory, these natural diuretics may help relieve water retention by making you urinate more. But there is little if any scientific evidence of their diuretic effects, so you may not find them effective. And if you're aiming for long-term weight loss, natural diuretics probably won't help.

You may be able to better manage water retention — especially if it's related to menstruation — through some simple lifestyle changes, such as:

Cutting down on sodium. Don't add extra salt to food at the table, and look for reduced-sodium processed foods.Eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruits and vegetables — especially those naturally rich in water, such as watermelon, onion, celery and cucumbers — can make you urinate more frequently, reducing water retention.Drinking more water. Be sure to drink at least eight glasses of water daily.If you're hoping to lose water weight as part of a weight-loss goal, focus instead on eating a healthier diet and getting plenty of exercise and activity — not taking diuretics. And remember, always let your doctor know about any dietary or herbal supplements you take.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    WOW THANK YOU FOR THIS ARTICLE, HOW USEFUL AND GREAT TIPS!!!!!!! I FEEL BETTER NOW!!!!! YOU ALL ARE GREAT!!!!!!!
  • La1210
    La1210 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I normally put on about 2 extra pounds during my period. I get so bloated and it's discouraging. It's funny because before I started trying to lose weight I didn't even notice it. I've found that I shed those couple of pounds at the end of my period, but it stops me from losing any additonal weight that week.....