the dreaded sweet tooth!

stephyj528
stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
i dont know if i should cut out sweets all together OR if i should try to have them in moderation but if i am honest with myself there isnt really moderation for sweets with me. i cant seem to control myself with sweets and im starting to stress bc its the holidays and people bring them constantly in to the office. i can say no for the first 3-4 days but i break and often end up eating a lot of sweets....what do you do with sweets?

Replies

• I don't buy them and keep fruit around. If you can't have moderation cut it out. Forget willpower...make a DECISION to stop eating it. Chewing gum also helps for me and constantly sipping on water.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I make room for a treat daily, as this keeps me from going without and I don't feel restricted.
  • nosajjao wrote: »
    And by the way, the concept of a sweet-tooth is ridiculous, because even if you think you're satisfying a tooth, it's going straight to your *kitten*.

Lol...I don't think the saying is meant to be literal. It just means you have a taste for sweet stuff. :smiley:
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    edited November 2014
    stephyj528 wrote: »
    i dont know if i should cut out sweets all together OR if i should try to have them in moderation but if i am honest with myself there isnt really moderation for sweets with me. i cant seem to control myself with sweets and im starting to stress bc its the holidays and people bring them constantly in to the office. i can say no for the first 3-4 days but i break and often end up eating a lot of sweets....what do you do with sweets?

I have a pretty bad sweet tooth and know what you mean. Lots of my coworkers are bringing in sweets for the holidays too. I've decided to not have anything storebought at all. It's just not worth it, but if it's something that's been homemade then I will indulge in a tiny something in moderation. Liftng4Lis mentioned that she has a daily treat, I mostly do this too. I've tried going without before in the past and always ended up binging on junk within a short time. I find that a small treat every second day or so keeps me from craving it and helps at work with all the treats. I also avoid the kitchen where everything's kept as much as possible.
    nosajjao wrote: »
    And by the way, the concept of a sweet-tooth is ridiculous, because even if you think you're satisfying a tooth, it's going straight to your *kitten*.

Lol...I don't think the saying is meant to be literal. It just means you have a taste for sweet stuff. :smiley:

Yeah, its all occuring in your brain as a result of a chronic addiction. Scientists conducted a study where they took cocaine addicted rats and had them choose between cocaine and sugar. 40 out of 43 rats chose sugar. Its addictive and messes with your brain worse than cocaine does. Beyond that, the safe level for your liver to process is very low, and when you exceed it it'll just be turned to fat.

I didn't realize us humans were rats. But okay. Whatever you say.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

Yeah, its all occuring in your brain as a result of a chronic addiction. Scientists conducted a study where they took cocaine addicted rats and had them choose between cocaine and sugar. 40 out of 43 rats chose sugar. Its addictive and messes with your brain worse than cocaine does. Beyond that, the safe level for your liver to process is very low, and when you exceed it it'll just be turned to fat.

I exceed my sugar every day (whether natural or added) and I'm losing weight just fine
    I didn't realize us humans were rats. But okay. Whatever you say.

Your welcome to deny the science, but in case you weren't aware hundreds of thousands of health ideas, solutions and products are tested on lab rats every year.
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I exceed my sugar every day (whether natural or added) and I'm losing weight just fine

Good for you, doesn't change the physical properties and definition of sugar.

Just because it's tested on rats doesn't make it accurate for a human. You do realize that we are not only like 200 times bigger than a rat, our bodies are also way way more complex than theirs right?

We are also more intelligent than them.

Unless you show me a study where humans were addicted to sugar and had to undergo rehab treatment for it (hahaha yeah right) then I'm not convinced.

If you want to stop eating sugar, stop buying it. That's it. I can tell you it's not that easy for a cocaine addict.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    I stopped them totally for about 10 months and then began trying small amounts at a time. My control is much better now and I didn't have a single piece of Halloween candy this year even though I could have, I just wanted the knowledge that I could walk past the bowl that sat there the entire month of October.
  • djhnd
    djhnd Posts: 89 Member
    Some people can eat a quarter of a candy bar and save the rest for another day. People like me - and there are many of them - will eat the whole candy bar, and it will trigger insurmountable cravings for donuts, cookies, candy, etc etc.

Not everyone has an addict brain like those rats. But some of us do. And in that case, the addictive trigger is NOT dose dependent - a bit of an Oreo can trigger a cascade, or binge cycle, that can go on for hours days weeks months.

With all due respect, if you can buy a package of cookies and keep them in the house for weeks - you're not qualified to comment in this thread! LOL Move on...this is for people with different brains from you.
  • roullmann
    roullmann Posts: 12 Member
    Too many people suffer from life-style diseases due to excesses like sugar. My own blood sugar was creeping up and that was enough for me to get on my current program. Environmental control is the key-if it isn't around you won't eat it. Halloween was tough for me so I asked my husband to hand out the candy because I knew I wouldn't be able to resist. What I have found since being on my current program is that I don't get crazy cravings anymore and have learned the tools to keep myself full and satisfied. Do I still want sweets and other things? Oh, yeah, but I feel like I have more tools to get through the tough stuff.
    Don't beat yourself up for wanting sweets!
  • djhnd wrote: »
    Some people can eat a quarter of a candy bar and save the rest for another day. People like me - and there are many of them - will eat the whole candy bar, and it will trigger insurmountable cravings for donuts, cookies, candy, etc etc.

Not everyone has an addict brain like those rats. But some of us do. And in that case, the addictive trigger is NOT dose dependent - a bit of an Oreo can trigger a cascade, or binge cycle, that can go on for hours days weeks months.

With all due respect, if you can buy a package of cookies and keep them in the house for weeks - you're not qualified to comment in this thread! LOL Move on...this is for people with different brains from you.

I used to eat 3000-5000 calories of sweets. I wasn't addicted to them. I loved the taste of them and I ate for comfort. I ate them because I could.

That doesn't change the facts. If you don't have control around it, don't buy it. Stop overcomplicating it, and JUST STOP EATING IT. Yes you will have cravings, but ultimately YOU decide to give in or not.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I track them like everything else. As long as I stay below my calorie goal, I don't worry about it. I figure that if I eliminate them that I'm setting myself up for failure. For me, it is easier if I always have sweets around and just eat them in moderation. If I go without for too long, then I'll buy a package of candy at the store and eat the whole bag, because "once they're gone, I won't eat them anymore."

Uhm nope. I want a HUMAN study. Of more than 2000 humans. Because a study of 12 humans is not feasible for a population of more than 7 billion.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    vamaena wrote: »
    stephyj528 wrote: »

I have a pretty bad sweet tooth and know what you mean. Lots of my coworkers are bringing in sweets for the holidays too. I've decided to not have anything storebought at all. It's just not worth it, but if it's something that's been homemade then I will indulge in a tiny something in moderation.
    This is a great idea.
  • pagefan
    pagefan Posts: 31 Member
    I totally have a sugar addiction, and I find it almost impossible to drop a pound, regardless of calorie intake- work outs or,. so will assume it must be the sugar. I just looked up what someone wrote; that sugar is a hepatoxin, so I googled it. and found this site. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/07/the-sweetener-that-is-more-dangerous-than-alcohol.aspx#!
    - I've always known about the rat / sugar / cocaine experiment, but found THIS to be much more informative. I find it extremely difficult NOT eating sugar - if you are to follow this, one apple blows out the whole day not to mention any grams of sugar in anything else, like peanut butter, or bread. something to think about...
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    I say save room for one sweet treat per day. Save room for only the favorites.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's very hard, for me it really depends on the day, my hormones and whatnot. Most days, I can resist, some days... not so much. I've found that eating 'healthier' sweet options helps though (Greek yogurt pancakes, oatmeal, Greek yogurt, Quest bars, protein shakes etc).
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Thanks! what everyone said helped a lot. i am also going to focus on eating more smaller meals maybe im letting my bloodsugar get too low idk. i drink tons of water and constantly chew gum esp at work or during my triggers. i will try to be more gentle as well about it but all this helped a lot! thanks!
  • I found that what you eat at breakfast enormoulsy impacts your sweet tooth for the rest of the day. I quit cereal years ago, that helps until about 3 p.m. for me. I am a sugar addict too, and believe me, even after two weeks of not eating it, I crave it. It's amazing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, its all occuring in your brain as a result of a chronic addiction.

I really like steak. Does that mean I'm addicted? I also really like cheese and used to routinely overeat it. Same?

I believe the study you are talking about is this one: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2013/10/16/why-your-brain-treats-oreos-like-a-drug/

If so, you described it inaccurately.