Post-Workout Smoothies

Options
Hey everyone! I've been pretty sore lately (in a good way) from increasing reps/intensity in my workouts. I started making smoothies a couple times a week as a recovery food/drink -- usually in the form of a PB or PB and Banana smoothie. I'm blown away by how much eating the right foods at the right times actually helps my body.

What is your favorite post workout smoothie or shake? I'd love to hear your thoughts to add some variety to my routine.

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I use a good quality protein shake mix and use it straight with water.
  • arunimarajan
    arunimarajan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have avocado milk shake. Don't know how safe these protein powders are?
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey protein for my immediate post workout, and Musclepharm Combat Casein protein before bed to help heal my muscles faster. And I like to use the powders to make things like pancakes, overnight oats, cookies - so much yum
  • tmdpotts
    tmdpotts Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bp2, hydrowhey iso 100 banana cream, frozen almond milk, half a low fat geek yogurt and added almond milk as needed. 240 calories all tasty
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1c vanilla ice cream
    1.5c orange juice
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do 1.5 cups of almond or coconut milk with a scoop (25 g of protein) of whey protein, a banana and maple syrup. I am a nutrient timing, quick carbs post workout believer. I try to do 2:1 ration of quick carbs to protein post workout, with minimal fat.
  • SarahRMerts
    SarahRMerts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    These are awesome! Thanks!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    chocolate protein powder in da water. I only put peanut butter and stuff if I'm using it as a meal replacement or have like 900 calories to spare for snack and dinner.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise routine and duration, if meal timing is actually producing an appreciable difference in performance for you?
  • SarahRMerts
    SarahRMerts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually do a combination of calesthetics (sp??) and yoga for 20-60 minutes. It depends on how much time I have that day.
    I usually eat something small before I work out - an apple or granola bar. Afterwards, I'm usually having a bowl of granola with milk or a smoothie of some type. I usually don't eat right after I work out either. I eat anywhere from 20-45 minutes after my workout.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Powder Protein+ Spinach+water= my protein shake
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

same as this, except I use milk instead of water. I use frozen spinach and I add banana, apple or strawberry to the mix.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Curt911 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

same as this, except I use milk instead of water. I use frozen spinach and I add banana, apple or strawberry to the mix.

It is surprisingly not that bad. I train my mind to like things good for me though.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I usually do a combination of calesthetics (sp??) and yoga for 20-60 minutes. It depends on how much time I have that day.
    I usually eat something small before I work out - an apple or granola bar. Afterwards, I'm usually having a bowl of granola with milk or a smoothie of some type. I usually don't eat right after I work out either. I eat anywhere from 20-45 minutes after my workout.

I ask, because most studies I've seen have shown that meal timing makes no difference for the majority of non-elite athletes who aren't competing in relatively long endurance events. Twenty to sixty minutes of calisthenics (I had to spellcheck it too) and yoga doesn't typically hit the definition of 'endurance event,' so it's peculiar to me that you find the meal timing to have anything other than a psychological impact.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    1/2 to 1 banana
    3 Tbsp PB2
    1 Tbsp cocoa
    1/3 c yogurt
    1/4 c coconut milk
    3/4 c unsweet almond milk
    1/2 c spinach
    a few ice cubes
    stevia, if desired