scale isn't working right?? digital

Options
okay i tried to weigh myself this morning and in each room i tried three different ones mind u but all hard flooring i'm like 2 too 3 lbs different ... i think my scale might be crapping out on me?

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Here are some options: Change the battery, purchase a new scale, or weigh yourself in the same place each weigh in.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I just use plain ole healthometer scales that I got from Walmart and they are exactly what weight watchers are, had no trouble
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Half the time, my digital scale will weigh me as 4.4 lbs heavier than I am. When I step off, it will read 4.4 until it errors out. Once it does, I can step back on it and it will show me a weight that is consistent with a non-digital scale.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Why are you carrying your scale around to weigh yourself in different rooms? Not sure why you'd even think to do that. Just weigh yourself in the same place every time you weigh in. My scale is pretty expensive and, if you stand on it with your feet together you'll get a different number than if your feet are spread apart (my husband discovered this somehow). The solution? I stand with my feet the same distance apart each time I weigh in. No biggie.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    DIfferent scales will weigh you differently. Use the same scale.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I suggest you stop using a scale to measure your success and use a seamstress tape measure and switch to inches lost, it's much more rewarding and truthful.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Is it consistent if you leave it in the same place? If not, try a new battery. I personally find a scale to be rewarding as long as I don't take it too seriously, give time between weigh ins, and if its accurate.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Here are some options: Change the battery, purchase a new scale, or weigh yourself in the same place each weigh in.
    agree!

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is an excellent scale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8FXDIQ/

Outside of leaning on something nearby, it seems that I can't make this thing display two different weights for me. It's annoyingly persistent, and it totally matches the doctor's scale weight. It's quite worth the money.

But assuming that you'll buy it, I'd also like to invite you to stop focusing on the scale. The scale is the absolute last thing that happens in the weight-loss process.

It's like hearing a news report in June that we're in a recession, even though the news has been reporting for six months that people were getting laid off, reduced to part time, factories were closing, and bankruptcies were climbing.

The scale is a lagging indicator of success or failure.

It also seems to have a mind of its own. It responds to sodium, pee, periods, poop, injuries, clothes, muscles, moods, pain pills, bones, metabolic slowdowns, and even its own mechanical inaccuracies.

Yes, weight loss is about the weight. But success has so many other great leading indicators. Such as:
    • "xx Day Streak" on MyFitnessPal
    • Miles Walked
    • Calories under target
    • Time Spent in Cardio exercise

Draw your encouragement and inspiration from your program. You **can** directly control these. The scale will eventually follow, it has to. If your weight-loss plan creates a calorie deficit, it has no choice. You can't control the timing of the scale, but if you eat and live at a calorie deficit, you'll burn fat and lose weight -- guaranteed.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Digital scales are a bit iffy with where you put them. Try to use it in the exact same place every time - then even if it's off, it's off the same amount, if you know what I mean? I put mine on the same tile every time :/
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Digital scales are a bit iffy with where you put them. Try to use it in the exact same place every time - then even if it's off, it's off the same amount, if you know what I mean? I put mine on the same tile every time :/

I do the same.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WAIT, you have three different scales or you tried in three different rooms??
  • gettingtomygoal83
    gettingtomygoal83 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    okay lol guess i should have added more info to that post, I took my scale out of my bathroom into my kitchen to change the batteries on it and i just happened to place it down on my kitchen floor and step on it and the amount seemed wrong so I went to where I always weigh myself in the bathroom and and it was way different the third place was just messing around i guess means nothing so whatever but anyways ya so new batteries and just seems to be acting weird it's not an expensive one or anything but i have had it for awhile so i was just wondering if after a certain time they just crap out on ppl , or they are known to mess up a lot ? just a simple question for ppl who use these kinda scales ..... also i do have a ways to go when it comes to weight i do measure and i do weigh in just how i like to do things i know each and every one likes to do things different and thats okay thats just how i do it ( weigh in ) :smile:
  • gettingtomygoal83
    gettingtomygoal83 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    LOL funny nosajjao