Has anyone else reached their weight goal and still been unhappy?

Options
2»

Replies

• RosaileenB
    RosaileenB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, Strength training is the way to go - if your gym instructor didn't point you to strength training then you should fire them (if you are paying for them). Any decent trainer would have you do some form of strength training throughout your workout.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Definitely 1200 cals is wrong.

I'm 5'3" and 116 lbs and if I were sedentary and didn't exercise I'd maintain on about 1450 cals. You will need a fair bit more, especially considering you exercise.

Oh, and +1 for strength training. Personally, were I you, I'd continue on a slight deficit and lift.

The reason you're happy with the rest of your body is that you've lost most of the fat up to this point from those areas. Now that they have relatively little fat, you will likely see a greater percentage of every pound lost come off of your 'stubborn' areas, which obviously includes your tummy. If you get too lean for your taste, no problem. Just eat a slight surplus and keep lifting :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys theres some really brilliant advice from you all! I cant understand why my gym instructor didnt tell me to strength train aswell when he did my induction because it sounds exactly what i need! I have got dumbells (not sure if thats how its spelt lol) and i do have the mark lauren book too but cant seem to get motivated to do things at home like i do in the gym so will have a word with some of the gym instructors n ask them to help get me started :) thanks so much for your help everyone its nice to know im not alone and that there are things i can do to imrpove it without losing any more weight :) looks like im about to start my maintanace journey :D 1 more question if i may.. is 1200 right to maintain or is my mfp app having an error? Because thats what I've been eating to lose but when i click maintain my calories dont change?

Most people assume cardio (or exercise in general) is done for weight loss. And unfortunately, most women are the ones running on treadmills for 2 hours every day trying to lose weight. IT's ALL about calorie deficit for losses, but strength training and proper diet (enough protein - I do 1.2x my lean body mass for gram intake; having a small to moderate deficit - 10-20% from maintenance) are essential for body composition.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Thanks guys theres some really brilliant advice from you all! I cant understand why my gym instructor didnt tell me to strength train aswell when he did my induction because it sounds exactly what i need! I have got dumbells (not sure if thats how its spelt lol) and i do have the mark lauren book too but cant seem to get motivated to do things at home like i do in the gym so will have a word with some of the gym instructors n ask them to help get me started :) thanks so much for your help everyone its nice to know im not alone and that there are things i can do to imrpove it without losing any more weight :) looks like im about to start my maintanace journey :D 1 more question if i may.. is 1200 right to maintain or is my mfp app having an error? Because thats what I've been eating to lose but when i click maintain my calories dont change?

Most people assume cardio (or exercise in general) is done for weight loss. And unfortunately, most women are the ones running on treadmills for 2 hours every day trying to lose weight. IT's ALL about calorie deficit for losses, but strength training and proper diet (enough protein - I do 1.2x my lean body mass for gram intake; having a small to moderate deficit - 10-20% from maintenance) are essential for body composition.

At 5'6 and 126 pounds, she really doesn't need to lose any more weight and eat at a deficit.

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I don't know when enough is enough - I have a goal of 144, I thought this would make me about a size 10/12, currently I am 148 and a size 2/4 and I am still trying to lose some weight off my thighs . . . the never ending cycle :)
    I have recently started strength training because since I feel sort of small I think having some strength will make me feel better. I have New Rules of Lifting for Women and Strong Curves . . . both worth reading, and I agree some strength training would be beneficial and will help you feel better about you body.
  • icypinkkisses
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone :) i love it on here its a really nice, helpful, non-judgemental little community! Going to take all your comments on board and swap some of my cardio for strength training and start eating more protein :) feeling much more positive now i have a plan!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've gotten such great advice re: lifting. Lifting heavy is definitely going to give you the results you are looking for!