Do you eat significant deficit

Options
Hi all
A Quick question re eating any significant calorie deficit. ,my target calorie intake is around 1680 a day (based on trying to lose 1,5lbs a week). I'm eating between 1500 and 1700 a day (compared to 3500+ before I became I decided to make a change for the better). I'm finding 1600 cals a day is enough. I play golf once on the weekend and still eat around 1600/1700 cals on that day. Most websites suggest that a 4 hour round burns about 1200-1400 calories. This seems like a lot to me, but a lot of websites suggest this so I guess there must be some truth in it, any how this leaves me with a significant deficit and I just record that as I don't feel hungry to eat any more than normal. It's the next day I feel it, but don't want to overeat the next day. ( I love my stats and want to keep within my targets - bit OCD I know, but I'm desperate to achieve my weight loss goals). I went for a run tonight and it felt so much harder than normal and I'm guessing it's because of yesterday's deficit. Just curious on what other people do? Do you eat the same day as the deficit, or just bank it and suck it up the next day?
Appreciate your ideas and advice
Cheers MFPers

Replies

• pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A lot of days I purposefully go under on my calories to save them for the weekend. I have had steady weight loss doing this.

I too can go through one day, maybe exercising more or eating less, and do not feel it until the next day. I try to up my calories to compensate, because I do not like feeling hungry/miserable. This whole thing is all about balance...not perfection!
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ah if your talking about eating back your calories burned or not. I would do it one of two ways 1) Don't eat back your calories. A lot of people tend to do this including myself and just stick to the calories were given for the day and not eat back calories burnt. 2) Eat back half of the calories burnt. this is the other side of the spectrum its basically eat them or dont. The reason I say half is basically to allow room for error either in the calories consumed or in the burn your getting from the workout ( says you burn 1250 when you only burnt 1000).

Hope this helps
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I dont eat back exercise calories, but i do eat at restaurants every so often, and intentionally go over the day's calories. Helps me maintain my weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No because my goal is to eat as much food as I can and still lose a reasonable amount of weight...for me it's about 1/2lb a week...

My TDEE is 2267...I eat 2k
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    No because my goal is to eat as much food as I can and still lose a reasonable amount of weight...for me it's about 1/2lb a week...

My TDEE is 2267...I eat 2k

Hear, hear!:drinker: A "significant" deficit for me is 3-400 calories less than my TDEE (TDEE around 2050+, I eat average of 1700-1800). It's my "magic number"--enough deficit to see the scale move 1+lbs every 2 weeks, but still enough food to make my tummy happy.

And...there's still room for a beer or two on the weekend, or some chips/ice cream, etc. nightly, without sacrificing my micronutrient intake.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for a pretty aggressive deficit, but if it's starting to affect your performance, it might be time to ease off a bit on the deficit.

Beyond that, it largely comes down to how aggressive you can mentally stand to be. Some people are going to do better slow and steady, while others are going to be happier with a more aggressive schedule. I'm could probably could tolerate being a bit more aggressive than I am, and I've been contemplating trying Lyle's UFLD for a couple of weeks as a bit of self-experimentation, but generally I'm inclined not to rock the boat when my current routine is working well.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for a pretty aggressive deficit, but if it's starting to affect your performance, it might be time to ease off a bit on the deficit.

Beyond that, it largely comes down to how aggressive you can mentally stand to be. Some people are going to do better slow and steady, while others are going to be happier with a more aggressive schedule. I'm could probably could tolerate being a bit more aggressive than I am, and I've been contemplating trying Lyle's UFLD for a couple of weeks as a bit of self-experimentation, but generally I'm inclined not to rock the boat when my current routine is working well.

Eh when I started I was eating 1600 a day...TDEE-20%, it was fine...it's about how much you have to lose really...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Eh when I started I was eating 1600 a day...TDEE-20%, it was fine...it's about how much you have to lose really...

Studies on the subject suggest that our bodies can support a much more aggressive deficit than most people typically run, while still preserving LBM with resistance training and if protein intake is set properly. Usually it's the mental aspect that leads to failure with more aggressive diets, as they aren't fun to go through and really pushing the limits can be pretty miserable. Some people can and do tough it out though with great results; bodybuilders pre-contest are a good example. In any event, just because you can physically do it doesn't mean people should. There are plenty of reasons to take it slow and steady.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it helps but I've been running a pretty aggressive deficit since I joined up (losing about 1/2 a pound a day for the last 144 days) and so far so good here.

For me, my life seems easier when I keep the calories around 2000 a day or so. With that, I can do pretty much whatever I want for exercise and my body doesn't complain too much.

I've tried upping the calories a bit from time to time but for the most part, the more I eat over the 2000 calories, the less I want to get up and do anything that might burn a little fat off me.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    thanks all
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    unless you feel really hungry just go with it

29509743.png
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My calorie deficit could be considered aggressive - 7k a week. I am still far enough from goal that per most recommendations I can support 2lbs a week loss.

With that said - I tend to eat back my exercise calories, to make sure my deficit doesn't go too high. Losing weight at 2lbs a week is fine, but I don't want to exceed that, my body would be very unhappy with me. I also will flux my daily calories depending on how I feel and my level of activity. My net daily goal is 1,200 - this doesn't mean I eat only 1,200, I net my intake against exercise and walking. Some days I eat 3k, others 2k, and if I am just over the whole calculating fun, I eat the 1,200. It's a good enough base for my off days.

What I do is comparable to TDEE, but I like the freedom of changing my exercise and activity level on a whim. I also like to flux my food intake.

I also carry food forward from one day to the next. For example, I might pre log, but then not eat the food I logged that day. I eat it the next.

I make mine complicated - it's what I do. It keeps me entertained as I find losing weight incredibly tedious.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I create a deficit by working out. This keeps my energy, moods, and enjoyment of life up and my body fat down.
  • anashnyc
    anashnyc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I never account for calorie burn against my daily intake. I know i "could", but I just don't do it. My feeling is, I would be eating too much. My friend who is a weight loss doctor never tells his patients to count exercise against his prescribed calorie goals and I am of the mind to agree with that. It makes me feel pretty good knowing I have a cushion, but I consciously make sure I never go beyond my daily caloric goal.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I eat exercise calories the day of. If I'm cycling for more than two hours, I'll eat while I'm riding and maybe a couple of hours before, with emphasis on carbs. For less than two hours, it doesn't make much difference when you eat.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    anashnyc wrote: »
    I never account for calorie burn against my daily intake. I know i "could", but I just don't do it. My feeling is, I would be eating too much. My friend who is a weight loss doctor never tells his patients to count exercise against his prescribed calorie goals and I am of the mind to agree with that. It makes me feel pretty good knowing I have a cushion, but I consciously make sure I never go beyond my daily caloric goal.

Does your friend prescribe a net caloric goal, or a total caloric goal? The difference matters and forms the major contrast between TDEE and NEAT.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty aggressive deficit, but I'm also obese and have almost 100lbs to lose. My TDEE is about 2500 and I eat 1700-1800. I do go over once every two weeks or so though.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Do folks that aren't doing TDEE, but still not eating back exercise calories, put the same amount of gas in the car every week, regardless of how much driving they did the week before?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The days I exercise more than usual are not the days where the hunger kicks in. It kicks in the next day.

Periods make me hungrier before and less hungry during/after. From the time I ovulate until the period, more hungry. From the period and for the next two weeks, less hungry.

Some days, I'm more or less hungry for no obvious reason.

If I'm hungry, I eat more. If I'm not, I eat less. I like it that way and feel that listening to my body is important if I'm going to be able to eat like a healthy person without doing obsessive calorie-counting. My goal is to learn to eat on my own. :)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    ljones27uk wrote:
    question re eating any significant calorie deficit.
    my target calorie intake is around 1680 a day (based on trying to lose 1,5lbs a week).
    I'm eating between 1500 and 1700 a day
    MFP says my BMR is 1702, and my current calorie goal is 1400. (My weight doc suggested 1300, but that seems pretty severe to me.) Combined with exercise, MFP thinks I should lose 1.5 lb/week.
    Just curious on what other people do?
    Do you eat the same day as the deficit, or just bank it and suck it up the next day?
    My doctor & dietician told me not to eat back exercise calories.
    First, most people underestimate how much they eat.
    Second, most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned.
    There are days I'll use some of them, _usually_ less than 200 (of about 1000 it think I burned).

51637601.png