Anyone who never/rarely weighs themselves

Options
Who never or rarely weighs themselves while trying to lose weight? You just go by fit of clothing, how you look and feel. Why did you chose not to weigh yourself? Do you feel you still stay on track with your weightloss goals? Sometimes I feel like I care too much about the number on the scale, but I'm not sure I'm ready to get rid of it.

Replies

• whitewolf1200
    whitewolf1200 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't like to weigh myself because I hate obsessing over the number. I just go by how clothes fit. I think it has definitely been a good thing for me because sometimes you lose inches rather than weight and that's all we really want, right? I mean I've hit a certain point where I just can't seem to lose any more weight on the scale, however, my clothes look different/better so it doesn't bother me. I personally think its good for your mental health to just check the scale about once every three weeks to just make sure you're on track. Even though I don't check that often I've found that I have been able to stay on track with trying to go to the gym consistently and attempting to eat less. Just start off checking your weight once a week, then once every two weeks, etc. Good luck!
  • ksf_2013
    Options
    Originally, I never weighed myself because I was just being healthier. It wasn't until other people started asking how much weight I had lost that I started weighing myself. Now, I weigh myself A LOT, like 3 times a week because I want to know exactly what's going on. If I could go back to not weighing myself I would in a heartbeat, that's not why I am doing what I am doing. I understand the whole not going back thing because I don't know that I could now. As far as staying on track, I didn't have a problem.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I weigh every couple months. It just doesn't matter much to me, I go by my clothes and how I feel.
  • clare120
    clare120 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just started college and I don't have access to a scale except for the old fashioned type in the gym (no thank you!) and so I have been forced to rely on measurements and how my clothes fit, which has been amazing in the long run. I'll weigh once per month or so when I go home to see my parents. I used to obsessively weigh myself and it got me to 165 lbs because of the emotional eating that would ensue if I had gained the slightest amount of weight. I am now around 148 since ditching the scale and it has really worked for me! Good luck!! :smile:
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I would say that it depends on the person. :)

For some people, hiding the scale also means a lapse in accountability and awareness, allowing them to eat whatever they want because they aren't staying aware; kind of like "If I don't weigh myself, the weight gain hasn't happened!" ;)

For others, not obsessing over the number on the scale can be more productive, because a small gain can send them spiraling into depression and a loss of motivation.

I would say that as long as you're staying accountable in ways (logging food, making sure your clothes aren't getting tighter, using a measuring tape, etc.) then you don't need to worry so much about the scale. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself because if I don't, then I am unable to get myself focused on making changes. Every time I've had to lose any weight, I only started once I weighed myself. Otherwise I stay in denial, even if clothes don't fit right. I also need accurate weight numbers to adjust my TDEE/calorie intake and to understand if my goals are appropriate.
  • jessicabonney
    jessicabonney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself because it gets depressing when you see that you have not gotten lighter on the scale. You start obsessing over it.

When you excersise, you lose fat but you gain muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat. So it may look like you haven't lost any weight at all or even gained it more, but in fact you have lost the fat just gained some muscle mass.

Because if this, i find that scales are inaccurate. Just using a simple measuring tape is alot better as it shows you how many inches you have lost in areas of your body.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    maybe once a month for the last 6 months and I am staying right the same

29509743.png
  • Daisies86
    Daisies86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself anymore. Firstly I don't have a scales where I currently live and would only weigh myself when I go home, which is about once every 2 months. But the last 2 times I have been home I've felt bloated from a cheat day and decided I didn't want to see an increase on the scales. I go based on my clothes and how I feel. At the end of the day, it's not the number on the scale that matters but if you are happy with how you look.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself because it gets depressing when you see that you have not gotten lighter on the scale. You start obsessing over it.

When you excersise, you lose fat but you gain muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat. So it may look like you haven't lost any weight at all or even gained it more, but in fact you have lost the fat just gained some muscle mass.

Because if this, i find that scales are inaccurate. Just using a simple measuring tape is alot better as it shows you how many inches you have lost in areas of your body.

This doesn't happen. If eating at a deficit, you lose fat and/or muscle, and assuming you begin a new exercise regime (which most people here probably do) you'll likely retain more water initially. And even if you're not new to working out, you might still retain enough water to affect scale weight.

No one is gaining significant muscle while in a deficit, at most there might be newbie gains but it's still not going to be easy to gain much muscle while in a deficit.
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week which is 'rarely' to my old habits (multiple times a day, I know I know). Like others said, I can't lose without keeping track of where I am. Besides, I have lost over 30 lbs (which puts me half way to my goal) and somehow the same clothes still fit! So I would be so frustrated if I only did that.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I spent the whole summer doing that and now I'm regretting it. I was putting in 30 miles of cycling every day after work and my clothes seemed to be fitting better, so I thought I was doing pretty good. When I finally stepped on the scales, I hadn't lost any weight, which was about 20 lbs heavier than I thought I was. I weigh once a week, just to keep myself honest.
  • HeatherOltmans
    HeatherOltmans Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing myself 3 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I have always been fit and loved to work out, so the scale became something that caused me anxiety over normal fluctuations.

Check out this website www.mybodygallery.com. You can type in a weight and see tons of pictures of people at that weight and it'll make you realize how useless that scale number is. :) If I look good, what do I care if the number on the scale says 120 or 140?
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    the scale is the devil! i did stop weighing myself and started taking pictures and trying on tight clothes
    i weighed myself this morning and i got bummed out for some reason, and i shouldnt be