Survey time: Would you buy homemade protein cookies at your local gym if they were for sale?

Options
I've had the idea of making high protein/low carb cookies at home and try sell them at local gyms.
Ingredients would be peanut butter, eggs, whey protein, maybe some flaxseed, syrup and natural sweetener (more experimenting needed). No preservatives, so would be fairly perishable.
Don't know how people would feel if they had sugar &flour.
But anyway, would you buy such homemade cookie? Maybe for £/$1?
Or if not at the gym, would you order online, knowing someone made it lovingly in their kitchen?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If they had the chiba in them, yes.

Funny, I wouldn't buy clen from the gym, but I'd buy chiba cookies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    maybe...if they looked good and the ingredients were all listed. Might be helpful to have the macro breakdown and the calorie count since many of that audience will be interested in those numbers
  • nads1012
    Options
    What's 'clen' and 'chiba'?
  • 57viv
    57viv Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If it had the total nutritional info on it and ingredients I may
  • nads1012
    Options
    Yea would have ingredients list and macros, isn't that what we all want? I'm not able to tell you right now, but it would be smart and tasty.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Only if they had calories and macro breakdown listed.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I personally would not.....but if this is something that you would really consider, make sure that you look into laws and so forth, as you may be required to have a license (in which they come out for an inspection of the property where product will me made and/or stored).
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    No - but I guess that is just me, if I don't know the kitchen they are from I would not buy them. Also you may not be able to sell them at the gym depending on the state you live in there are laws about selling food and how it is cooked, wrapped and labelled. Good luck with all that...
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    nads1012 wrote: »
    What's 'clen' and 'chiba'?

clenbuterol- steroids
    - chiba-weed
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    MscGray wrote: »
    I personally would not.....but if this is something that you would really consider, make sure that you look into laws and so forth, as you may be required to have a license (in which they come out for an inspection of the property where product will me made and/or stored).

This is a good point. I'm looking into an at-home baking business myself and I'm required to get a license and have an inspection. I think the cost here (in Georgia) is $50 for the first year and $100/year after that.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    MscGray wrote: »

This is what I was thinking. I've had to do a lot of research into this in my particular state/county in the US for my job, and there are a lot of hoops to jump through. I'm also not sure I would buy something that I hadn't been able to try a sample of before, just in case I got home and didn't like them at all.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    dlionsmane wrote: »
    No - but I guess that is just me, if I don't know the kitchen they are from I would not buy them. Also you may not be able to sell them at the gym depending on the state you live in there are laws about selling food and how it is cooked, wrapped and labelled. Good luck with all that...

This. You'd probably have to get a commercial kitchen license, inspections, take food safety and handling courses, etc.
  • nads1012
    Options
    Well I'm in Europe, but apart from the laws, I'm not sure I'd buy something that's been produced in someone's 'kitchen'. I can ensure you mine is clean, but you never know with people.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    in addition to the food handling laws/licenses that would need to be followed/obtained, peanut products (or foods with them as ingredients) need to be "factory sealed" when they are for sale.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I would not. But I don't eat things from other people's houses unless I know exactly how clean their house is.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Working for the last 26 years in an office that seems to have a potluck every time you blink an eye, I long ago let go of my phobia of eating food made by others in their who-knows-how-clean-they-are-kitchens. If the cookies looked ok and if I wasn't already toting my own snacks, I'd probably the roll dice and buy one.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    nads1012 wrote: »
    Well I'm in Europe, but apart from the laws, I'm not sure I'd buy something that's been produced in someone's 'kitchen'. I can ensure you mine is clean, but you never know with people.

In CA you can produce goods from a home kitchen, provided county health inspects it routinely.

My mom has a friend who supplies medical mj offices with baked goods with marijuana in them, and has a ton of licensing and inspections to deal with.

That said, she makes a ridiculous amount of money from that hobby. Some states it's legal. Honestly though, that's probably the only type of baked products that people would look for. Unless we're talking a true protein puck type item where there is actually more protein than carbs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't unless they looked really tasty. And then the macros wouldn't matter much to me, beyond whether or not I could fit them in my goals for the day.

But I like to get my protein from 'regular' food and then have real-deal cookies for dessert. Protein shakes and bars and such definitely take 2nd fiddle in my mind (and stomach).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Doubtful. I don't know how clean the kitchen is or if the person's hands were clean or what.

But I've done dumber things than eat questionable cookies, so who knows. :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would either. I can't even participate in a pot lunch at work unless I've been to the person's house or I only partake in the prepackaged food. I know food preparation services are quite popular though in my area.