losing the last 10lbs

Options
womanlady
womanlady Posts: 33 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
i m wondering how long it took for you to lose your last 10lb.. like bMI 19 or something.
and did any of you attempt 3-day(military) diet to lose the last 10lb?? Any tips or tricks to lose the last lbs quickly? i've been on 1200 calories for like a year+ now but I lose weight (1lb) every 6 weeks or something..even with exercise..

ps. if you log calories every day add me on mfp

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have to be extremely accurate on logging. Weighing and measuring everything.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It took about 5-6 months to lose that last 10 pounds (.5 pound loss/week), although it felt like it was longer. The last 10 pounds took me from a BMI of 22.4 to 21. I'm not going to sugar-coat it; it was the hardest 10 pounds to lose. During this time, though, I had really increased my exercise, including moderate strength training. Big calorie burn days or extra intense work outs always resulted in a temporary weight gain, so my loss was never linear. I also had a cheat meal most every Saturday. After over a year of being in weight loss mode, I needed that meal to look forward to and keep me motivated. I lost on 1600 daily calories, plus ate back a portion of my exercise calories (based on an HRM). If you are already eating only 1200 calories, I would not go below that number. Any lost weight would be regained quickly once you started eating somewhat "normally" again. You want your loss to be a "true" loss, not a temporary dip due to practically starving yourself. Be as accurate as you can in your logging and keep at it. Good luck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1200 calories for a year?
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi - I have 2 and a half pounds left to go til I reach my goal weight, and I'm now at BMI 20.8.

I'm guessing you're underestimating calories a bit; at 1200 calories, you'd lose more than 1 lb every 6 weeks.

I've been eating 1200 calories a day for three months. I've lost a steady 6 lb per month, and the rate hasn't changed as I get closer to my goal weight. I'm hungry a lot.

The last pounds feel hard because I'm impatient. I wish I could just do some all-out crazy fast to shed the last 2 or 3 except that I have to function at work. So, I'm weighing out my snack of 10g of sliced almonds and 10g of ultra-dark chocolate. So tiny. Sigh.
  • womanlady
    womanlady Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ok i dont eat 1200, but more like 1300...lol..also, i think 1200 calories is a lot for people who are short... so i find 1200 a good amount... Im just gona attempt 3day diet for a boost.. lol..
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm battling the last 12lbs (ish) and at the moment. I am currently 70kg (154lb) I am aiming to get to my goal weight (64kg - 141lb) by the end of January. I am 5ft 2in, and I aim at 1300 calories a day. Getting to 141lb will take my BMI into the 'healthy' section, and is what I used to weigh in college! I now have normal blood pressure, which is the reason I started losing weight, and so some of the motivation has dropped off.

It helps to bear in mind the reasons you're doing this, rather than fixate on the scale - although I am obsessed! :blush:

Overall, I am happy with my lifestyle changes, I feel much healthier, I eat better (I eat less, which is cheaper, and i eat more healthily), but I am acutely aware of everything that I put in my mouth. Which is scary!

As it's not just about the number on the scale. I'm going to aim for some other goals - run 10k, lose 2 inches off waist, lift xxkg, etc.

For weight loss intermittent fasting seems to work for me. 1 or 2 days a week at around 500/600 calories. Also, I get the feeling that there's no way to avoid feeling hungry at this stage and I just need to live with that for a bit!

My Mantra - Eat healthily. Measure everything. Drink water. Sleep lots. Enjoy life! :)

Keep going and remember, losing weight and keeping it off is a long game.
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the last 10lbs too, but find it's very hard to maintain even 1500 cals a day. I really have a hard time not overeating on the weekend, even with a planned cheat day. Keep working at it - you will reach your goal!! :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's hardcore, but look into the 5 bite diet. You should lose your 10lbs in a week, which is way long enough to eat this way.
    Basically it's eating 5 bites of whatever food you want for lunch and dinner and unlimited raw veggies throughout the day.
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have just got to this point & I am thrilled! But I am struggling to shift these last blighters. Hoping that being patient & sticking to what I have been doing since March will eventually do the job.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    this news will suck and many will disagree- i had to gradually go sub 1000 ( i started around 1500) to get to my goal look (not weight).
    - the plan then is to go in reverse slooooowwwlllyyy rebuild my cals and cut again
    - just saying you can try if you feel ok with it to cut lower. liek i said people will disagree but its about you as long as you feel ok
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    jaquelynny wrote: »
    this news will suck and many will disagree- i had to gradually go sub 1000 ( i started around 1500) to get to my goal look (not weight).
    - the plan then is to go in reverse slooooowwwlllyyy rebuild my cals and cut again
    - just saying you can try if you feel ok with it to cut lower. liek i said people will disagree but its about you as long as you feel ok
    to add to this i did that under a time constraint surely if i was more patient i could have gotten these results over more time with more cals
  • alabella
    alabella Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's hardcore, but look into the 5 bite diet. You should lose your 10lbs in a week, which is way long enough to eat this way.
    Basically it's eating 5 bites of whatever food you want for lunch and dinner and unlimited raw veggies throughout the day.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    a) your goal is too steep, has been this entire time. You should be aiming for 0,5lbs/week.

b) You are probably eating more htan you think you are. Buy a food scale, weigh your normal portions, see how many cals it adds up to. As already mentioned, you'd be losing more than 1lb/month eating 1200 calories.

c) calculate energy needs from exrx.net or similar websites. If you like eating back exercise calories then just estimate your needs for non-exercise maintenance. and then log and eat back exercise cals. For 0.5lb/week loss, subtract 10% from the maintenance number the website(s) gives you.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Please don't do this. It's unhealthy and shouldn't even be on here because it's promoting unhealthy eating habits. When you get to the last 10 pounds you have to be super strict with your calorie counting and above all you have to have patience. It won't be as fast of a weight loss as the rest of the weight. It took me a year to lose the last 10, but I'll be the first to admit I wasn't super strict like I could have been.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It took me from May 23 through Sept 12, so 16 weeks. A little more than double the 6.5 weeks it took me to lose the 10 pounds before that. I did bump my calories up gradually by first 100, then 200, then 300, etc. during those 16 weeks so I had a "soft landing" at my goal weight, which is why it took longer. Wanted to undo any effect I'd had on my metabolism during the dieting phase rather than afterward (during maintenance).
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options

I'm going to strongly disagree with this advice. As you lose your last 10 pounds, you want to be transitioning towards maintenance. Most people who have the mindset of 'sprinting' those last few pounds to goal, then see the 'race' as over have a really hard time maintaining. The things you are doing to lose the weight, you should be doing for the rest of your life to keep it off. What you are doing now needs to be sustainable. All too often the people who have a drastic difference between 'diet' life and 'maintenance' life struggle to keep the weight off.

So what if it takes you 6-8 months to lose those last 10 pounds? When those 6-8 months are up, what do you think you will be doing for the next 6-8 months? You should eat moderately, continue your workout routing, and log log log! It shouldn't be all that much different, you'll just have an extra 100-300 calories a day to eat.

You have been doing this for a year. You can do this for the next year, and the next and the next. Don't see your goal weight as the end of this journey. And if 1200 a day doesn't seem realistic to continue - try working in a little more daily activity. (Doesn't have to be sweaty workouts if that's not your thing). More activity = more calories you get to eat. :)
  • Christi132
    Christi132 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Forever it seems! I hit my goal weight over a year ago and gained 5-8 lbs back around the holidays. It wasn't until my new clothes started fitting tight that I got serious about losing the last 5-10 again. The good news is that I kept most of the weight off so I consider it a modestly successful maintenance year. I learned a lot this past year so when the last 6 come off again I'll be better equipped to stay at that weight. I'm currently on a "lose 1 lb a week" plan and feel very healthy.
  • Beanogirl
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    a) your goal is too steep, has been this entire time. You should be aiming for 0,5lbs/week.

b) You are probably eating more htan you think you are. Buy a food scale, weigh your normal portions, see how many cals it adds up to. As already mentioned, you'd be losing more than 1lb/month eating 1200 calories.

c) calculate energy needs from exrx.net or similar websites. If you like eating back exercise calories then just estimate your needs for non-exercise maintenance. and then log and eat back exercise cals. For 0.5lb/week loss, subtract 10% from the maintenance number the website(s) gives you.

Cannot disagree with you on this one other than to say my l
  • Beanogirl
    Options
    Beanogirl wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

Cannot disagree with you on this one other than to say my logging has been pretty accurate since March & my weight loss has been consistent. Something has changed now but my logging hasn't!