Not Hungry/ Not Eating

Options
Hey MFP,

I have a quandary that needs some solving.

Lately I haven't been hungry, but common sense tells me to eat. The issue is that I eat and become uncomfortably ill off of medium sizes of food. I get nauseous and sometimes my body rejects what I eat and sometimes I have to make myself throw up to feel better again. I have no clue what's going on. I tried eating once a day, smaller meals throughout the day etc etc. . . i've tried different ways of eating, but I always end up throwing up by the end of the day. I'm a 20 year old female who is a bit above overweight. Does anybody have any idea about what's going on?

Today i've decided to not eat until my stomach grumbles or I become hungry. . . .i've been up for 7 hours and i'm still not hungry. I ate some nuts so I could take my meds, but i'm still not hungry and i'm a little worried about eating because it might make me sick.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. You may need to change medications.

That or you're pregnant. Again, doctor.
  • BlackRose101
    BlackRose101 Posts: 117 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not pregnant. I know that for a fact :P

also, it's just an over the counter vitamin that I started taking today.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • BlackRose101
    Options
    I don't have access to a doctor for the next month and a half, which is one of the main reasons I'm asking on here.
  • ana3067
    Options
    In that case, what have your eating habits been like? Are you getting sick? Is it psychological? If you cannot keep things down comfortably, then still talkt o your doctor.
  • BlackRose101
    Options
    About a month ago I was eating mostly fruits and vegetables, rices no dairy no eggs no meat. I wasn't getting enough calories so I began eating dairy (cheese) which started the whole throwing up stuff. I stopped eating it, but I still eat things that may contain dairy (like chocolate/ cake etc). I still don't eat meat and I still don't eat eggs or drink dairy. I use to exercise 6x a week but now I don't due to college draining the life out of me. I couldn't eat hard foods about 3 weeks ago because my jaw was in a lot of pain so I still stay away from hard foods. I use to get most of my calories through pureed fruits now I actually eat them.

I don't know if any of that might be why. I truly blame dairy but now I don't eat cheese at all anymore.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Can you open up your diary so we (I) can see if there's something consistently logged that mihgt be posing problems?

But if you were not eating enough and now you are trying to eat properly, that could be your problem. I was eating at my estimated maintenance, actually a bit above, for a week. I tried eating 800 calories at 3 meals and I felt sick. Even yesterday I ate around 2500 because I had skipped an entire meal on Saturday, and it was a bit difficult to eat it all.

But again... I would say talk to your doctor to see if there is something serious going on.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are so many things that an cause a loss of appetite. I can think of a dozen off the top of my head and could think up more. There are surely more than I know, too.

What you need is a doctor, who can look at your history, ask you questions, examine you, test you and then diagnose you and treat you.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Kinda sounds like a food allergy. Hopefully you have been logging your food so you can go back and look at the times you were sick and see any correlation.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    This happened to me for a bit when I first started - someone commented that it was due to my stomach shrinking from less food. Whether or not that was true, I ate as much as I could stand (sometimes it was only a few bites but it worked) as often as I could until a couple weeks later it stopped. It got to the point where I could eat more and more without discomfort until I was able to just eat normally again. Until I could, I actually drank a lot of my calories for the day so I didn't go too low.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Any medications? I was on a birth control pill for a few months that caused me to completely lose my appetite.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You really need to figure a way to see a doctor. Internet diagnoses aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

See a doctor, asap. Find a way.
  • Floridanudist
    Floridanudist Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are sick. I would go to your county health clinic where they can treat you for free.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you are on medications and throwing up on a daily basis please contact your doctor RIGHT AWAY! Seriously.....
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    This is not something that can be solved in this forum. You need to seek medical attention.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pregnancy test is in order!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I agree. Doctor time. It could be physical, it could be mental. It could be a food allergy, as someone mentioned (or a food intolerance). I wish I could help you better than that, but I don't think you're going to be able to get a good answer here, because we don't know you. Hope you find out the cause! Hang in there.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? You might just have a stomach bug...
  • ivy_h_c
    Options
    My first advice would be see a doctor, immediately. But I understand you may not be able to do this. I used to have a similar problem. I still do some days. Half the time I ate (even if I just ate a small amount) I would get so nauseous and bloated, and be in so much pain that I would cry and even have a hard time breathing. I would assume that you're not, but are you recovering from an ED? I understand if you don't want to post that information online, but it's just something to consider. An allergy, food intolerance, or some kind of bug sounds like a reasonable explanation. Try experimenting. Maybe try going gluten-free for a month. That's what my doctor suggested. Also, are you stressed? Stress can do really weird things to people. I recently moved, and sometimes I would miss some people so much I would feel physically sick. I'm really sorry I can't give you much advice, but I really hope I helped. Good luck and God Bless.