Why can't I get motivated like I did before to lose the weight?

Options
I had lost 60# a yr after my daughter was born. I looked and felt great. I gradually gained the weight back and now I can't seem to lose it again. I feel like a tub of blubber and I feel like people think the same thing. I had my daughter tell me this morning she gave my squishy tummy a hug. I just really need some support and or some advice as to what I can do to help myself.

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You just have to get back to it. That's all you can do. Start small by incorporating reasonable changes and then grow (or shrink, LOL) from there.

And then, once you get back to where you want to be, don't stop! Emotionally, it's much easier to maintain than it is to start over.
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and getting healthy is the best reason, but maybe you need another motivation like after your daughter was born.
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I get motivated in bursts, so during my last burst of 'hey I'm awesome, let's do this thing!' I threw out the junk food and hung my favorite -now way too small for me- shirt on the wall next to my bed and when I woke up the next day I though, hell yeah, you're going to fit me by May... Bring it ON!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Best thing is to get more active. Join a gym and be around active people. That helps motivation. Then, burn the fat off; don't try to starve it off.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    is there any specific reason you can't jump in right away?
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    motivation doesn't last. you need to want it. the want/desire to be better is what will keep you going.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I think most people struggle with it right at the beginning because it seems like a daunting task. My 10yr old son is easily overwhelmed by large tasks (or long lists of things to do). I have go break it into small manageable chunks for him - try that. Don't look as much at "I need to lose 70 pounds! This is impossible!" - start with a small goal. Maybe a few pounds, or maybe make a goal related to how you eat/exercise/behave and start improving those aspects one at a time. When you see any progress it will fuel you to continue. (*)
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    One of the best tips someone gave me was this: Promise yourself you will work out for at least 5 or 10 minutes (whether you go to a gym or work out at home). Once you get started, you will keep going majority of the time. If you genuinely are not into it after said time, it's ok to stop.

Also, make a list of WHY you want to lose the weight. Post it someplace you see it everyday, like the mirror or the fridge.

Get your family involved! Can you take walks with your daughter? That would help you burn calories and also promote a healthy lifestyle to her.

Good luck! :smile:
  • Lian98
    Lian98 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I once heard this saying, and I think you need to hear it too: "Motivation gets you started, habit keeps you going." Sometimes we do not have a lot of motivation. So start making small habits. Drink an extra glass of water at dinner. Play around with your kids. Play volleyball as a family on the weekends. Then, when you start seeing results, hopefully you will get motivated. LATCH ON TO THAT MOTIVATION! Start making even more healthy habits and eventually you will be living a very healthy life style. Habit is everything :)
  • MissTina327
    Options
    I just wanted to thank you all for the positive responses. I too feel like her on many occasions. But from the looks at it, I should jump on in, set small goals and be persistant. Thanks everyone!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    motivation doesn't last. you need to want it. the want/desire to be better is what will keep you going.

agree.gif

• hazel8605
    hazel8605 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I just need a little push. I get so mad at myself because I let myself get this way. I know I can do it, so the fact that I haven't lost it yet drives me crazy. I think this was the push I needed. Maybe writing about it will help me get the job done. Fingers crossed.
  • yoovie
    Options
    come back tomorrow and tell us what you spent your new motivation on!
  • hazel8605
    Options
    I will! :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    You said a year after your daughter was born. How long has it been now? As we age, it takes more work to reduce weight because metabolism slowly reduces over time. So where it may have been a breeze at 25, at 35 it's going to be much different. Calorie deficit counts, but for some having to eat much less than before at a younger age can be challenging.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hazel8605
    Options
    She's 6. I'm 27 going to be 28 in a few weeks. I have to wonder if a lot has to do with having a sedentary job and not eating enough throughout the day to keep my metabolism going.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, not losing weight is not a result of not eating enough. As long as you're still alive, your metabolism is going. Have you set your calorie goal and tracked consistently? Track everything that goes into your mouth, workout a few times a week when/if you can. It truly is simple, though it's easier said than done. It can seem tedious but once it becomes a habit, it's a part of every day, think of it like checking into facebook/twitter/social-media-of-choice.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The fact that you did it before might be why you are finding it so hard this time. You probably have that inner voice reminding you how much work it was and what is the point if you are just going to end up right back where you started?

The point is to be healthier. The point is to keep up with that 6yo.

It can also be really helpful to set non weight related goals. Would you like to participate in a 5k? Hula hoop for 30 minutes straight? Whatever it is for you, those kinds of goals can keep you moving AND keep you motivated to eat properly to perform your best.
  • hazel8605
    Options
    I would really love to do a 5k. Thank you, I'm going to look into them around where I live. I can get ready for one that would be amazing.
  • yoovie
    Options
    what did yu do? what did you do!