When do you weigh yourself... I'm scale obsessed now!

Options
Ok, so I'm big, large, BBW, whatever you want to call me, but the simpleness of it all is I'm fat. Lots of reasons why, but, there it is we won't dwell. I lost 15 pounds in a very short amount of time, but the scale stopped. Now it seems to me, that if I weigh myself in the morning, I'm lighter vs before bed. But it seems like that scale is looking at me all the time, taunting me... So now if I gain a pound (I know it's probably water weight) I start to over think it, then maybe the next day I'm down a pound (whew relief) ... so tell me how often you weigh yourself and maybe why. Oh and feel free to add me as a friend.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kirianna81
    Kirianna81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey, I weigh myself every Monday after my work out and shower at about 12-1pm before I eat my lunch, I use the machine at my gym so that I have a little booklet of slips now, easy to see the general trend of where my weight is heading. Our body weight fluctuates through out the day so trying to weigh in at the same time every week helps to minimize this, or so I have heard at any rate :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Every day at first, until I started to notice a pattern - I stop losing and even gain the last 2 weeks before my period. So now I just weigh myself the week after my period.

Honestly weighing every day is very useful to figure out patterns.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and have for the past couple of years. I do this to see the trend. What did I eat the night before? Did I exercise? Is it that time of month? I have developed a long enough history now, that I can pretty closely predict what the scale is going to tell me before I step on it just from knowing what I did the day before. HOWEVER, daily fluctuations in the scale don't bother me. I look at the long-term trend of the graph and that is going down. What happens day to day is just information.

If the daily fluctuations are bothering you and you can't look at them objectively, put the scale away! Weigh once a week, on the same day at the same time of day to get the most accurate picture. We all fluctuate not just daily, but hourly! You will also *always* weigh more in the evening than first thing in the morning. The food and drink that you put into your body *do* weigh something! If you weigh first thing in the morning with an empty stomach, you will absolutely weigh less than in the evening after eating dinner.

Focus your results on the long-term. Good luck to you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most people will suggest that you weigh yourself every morning when you first wake up, right after you pee and while you're naked. Any more than that isn't helpful for weight loss reasons because our bodies change weight all day long.

For those who find they have an issue with the number on the scale, obsess over it, become upset if it's up a couple of ounces, etc. a once per week weigh in on the same day at the same time is recommended.

Personally, I weigh myself every morning on waking to track my progress. I don't let the number bother me unless I'm seeing an upward trend. Daily weigh ins help me catch those trends quickly so I can make corrections. I do also weigh myself before and after a run, especially a long one. I live in southern Arizona, so it's hot and dry. The difference in my weight before and after a run can often be a few pounds as it is the water loss from sweat. I track that change so I can drink that water back after my run.

ETA: When I've actually checked, my weight is always lower the next morning than right before I go to bed but that's completely normal. Our bodies still require energy while sleeping so mine is burning calories and also processing food. Plus, I've just expelled a few ounces of urine before I stepped on the scale.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Every day at first, until I started to notice a pattern - I stop losing and even gain the last 2 weeks before my period. So now I just weigh myself the week after my period.

Honestly weighing every day is very useful to figure out patterns.
    I have a feeling my body has a similar pattern - gained 2lbs eating at/above maintenance, still had the weight there until my last day of my period and it all went away.

I normally had been weighing myself ~1x a week, then I started daily, but I just busted my phone so I'm thinking I'll be lazy again and just weigh myself a few times a month or something.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    The scale isn't always the best measure. When I was in weight loss, I found measurements to be far more satisfying than the number on the scale and even know, I'm far more conscious of how my clothes feel on me as opposed to a number.
    When losing weight I would weigh in about once a fortnight, in the morning, in the nude. Now I'm maintaining I weigh in about once a month or when I feel I need to 'check in'.
    Being obsessed with the scale is not a good thing...see it as one of the tools to measuring your weight loss rather than the ultimate one. Weight can fluctuate for loads of reasons.
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, once per day. Only in the morning after I wake, use the restroom and before any eating or drinking - naked. Just make sure you weigh yourself around the same time and under the same conditions and in the same state of dress (or undress).

Weighing more than once a day has too many factors in the way. Weighing once per week didn't do it for me because I would forget to do it. Right now, it's part of my morning ritual so I do it automatically out of habit. Even my cat knows when I'm about to go on the scale because I do it at the same time every day (so she goes and sits on it right before to solicit petting and attention). :smile:
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday right before I get in the shower. It doesn't really bother me what the scale says it just either gives me a boost for the day or a heads up that I need to pay more attention to what I am eating that day. I have also learned a little about how and what causes some of my weight fluctuations. For instance high sodium shows up the next morning but high fat seems to take an extra day to reflect on the scale. I wouldn't weigh myself twice a day and compare them in any way, too many variables that would effect the results. But for me there is no way I could weigh once a week, I just don't have that much control over my eating schedule - I may really need a cookie of some chips the day before I would weigh-in :#
  • jenversuslife
    jenversuslife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Every morning; after using the bathroom and naked. I do this because I like to notice how salt/hormones effect my weight and I can see patterns in my weight loss. I find this helps me because when I then do shift any weight for any number of days then I can understand why.

I am not bothered by any gains because I can usually even forsee them e.g. I ate Domino's pizza and stayed within my calorie limits but still gained weight as part of water retention thanks to the salt.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Every morning; after using the bathroom and naked.

This
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two weeks. I don't stress about a pound or two in the wrong direction. I look in the mirror and I see progress, I feel great every day - day in and day out - so the scale is just a reference point.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Saturday morning after using the restroom and before eating or drinking. I've been doing this long enough that I know the general trends of my body, like that I weigh more the week before my period than I do the week after. I still weigh myself, but I don't worry if it is up that week because it happens every month for me.

I used to weigh in the morning and again in the evening, but that was a very bad habit for myself. I couldn't let go of the scale number, even though I knew the evening number was higher because I had water, food, and food waste in my system.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I too can become over obsessive. Weighing daily would drive me insane. I weigh in once a week, same time, same place, same scale, in front of a Personal Trainer. Keeps me accountable. After 2.5 years I've learned now to get upset over a 1-2lb fluctuation unless it lasts for 2-3 weeks.

Best of luck and keep on going! 15 pounds down is awesome :)
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I used to be a daily weigher but it's too fluctuating for me so I just do weekly now. This makes me happier :-)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    10 times a month, Mondays and Fridays each week - period week too so I know how much I can expect to gain monthly. Always first thing in the morning, after I use the bathroom, take off all clothing, earrings, etc and burp.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I believe it is an individual thing. To me, whatever motivates and keeps a person healthy and on track is just fine.

I do not “drive myself nuts” but I do find comfort / direction in weighing myself most days. BUT, I only RECORD my weight once a week (same day/time).

Let’s assume I weigh-in Mondays. If I check my weight on Thursday morning and it hasn’t moved or has gone up a 1/4 or 1/2 pound…I know I must be “diligent” on the weekend. My goal has always been “just to not gain” on a weigh-in date and using the other days as a “heads-up” that allowed me to adjust carbs or whatever.

Try not to get stressed.

You’re doing great. You described yourself as “fat” – but being “fat” was once my goal. I started at morbid obesity, then moved to severe obesity, obese / fat and now fat/overweight…so actually you are doing better than many.

73641431.png
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I weight myself after my morning workout before I hop in the shower. I do it on a daily basis to get a good idea of how my diet effects my overall weight loss schedule. Doing so has definitely shown me that sodium really impacts water retention as early as the next morning. I don't get upset about a gain in between the weekly weight ins as the increase is usually attributable to water, not fat.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You're going to be closest to your actual weight in the morning after waking up, and relieving yourself of all excretory substances. That's great if you want to know you're actual weight, and keep a log of that.

However, if you don't care to know you're actual weight, and only want to keep track of your loss, you would just have to weigh yourself at the same time of day under the same conditions (clothes on/off, after eating dinner, right before bed, etc.). You wouldn't get your actual weight at that time, but you'd at least be able to get some sort of idea of the weight you're losing.

However x 2, weighing yourself naked in the morning directly after waking up and relieving yourself will give you the most accurate picture as doing so later in the day only throws in more variables like the amount of food/water still currently in your system from the last time you ate, what type of clothes you're wearing opposed to what you were wearing the previous day, stuff like that. In the morning, you should be as void of any external variables as you'll be throughout the rest of the day, so you'll get a better picture.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the "weigh yourself in the morning post-washroom". I like doing it, and recording because I'm a bit of a data geek, so the flucutations dont bother me too much. I keep MFP set to show me the last 3 months, that way even when I'm up a bit, I can reassure myself that the overall trend is DOWNWARDS.

That said, I used to have crazy issues with scales, and it took me FOREVER to even buy one. Once I finally bought one, I would only record my weight when the number went down.

Easier said than done, but don't worry about the number on the scale too much. Its not like we all walk around with signs that show our weights on our foreheads. The number isn't REALLY what we're chasing, right? We all want to look better, feel better, be healther/harder/faster/stronger versions of ourselves.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DarbiB wrote: »
    Easier said than done, but don't worry about the number on the scale too much. Its not like we all walk around with signs that show our weights on our foreheads. The number isn't REALLY what we're chasing, right? We all want to look better, feel better, be healther/harder/faster/stronger versions of ourselves.
    So much this!

When talking about scale issues I usually recommend getting a measuring tape and recording progress with it right from the beginning. Not only because the number on the scale can be really meaningless, especially when you're seeing 5-10 pound swings from week to week due to water retention like I do, but sometimes when the scale isn't moving we're shrinking especially if one is lifting weights. Also the measuring tape doesn't fluctuate on a daily basis like the scale.