I'm just saying.......

Options
KayronM
KayronM Posts: 165 Member
85% of it is diet and 15% is exercise ( you eat more than you exercise) :bigsmile:

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Agree... My numbers say (Normal Activities, 10% and Exercise Routine 5%.) That's for "Normal" people.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, that's not true at all for me. I have a great, very healthy diet and I don't lose unless I'm at the gym 5 days a week. For me, exercise is 90% and diet is 10%.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs in 7 months doing 100% exercise (2 spin classes per week) and probably consuming close to 5000 calories per day. I don't think that quite fits in with your ratio. Yes, there is a point in which you must cut calories in order to lose all of it, but you don't have to for quite a while.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy in general, have for quite a while, but the weight didn't come off until I started doing serious cardio workouts 6 days a week. Bicycling and vigorous hiking and an occasional trip to the gym for weights and elliptical when the weather doesn't cooperate. A minimum of 1 hour, usually more like 1.5. Dropping the weight at a steady 2.5 lbs a week without changing my diet at all.

Just saying everyone is different. You have to try different things until you figure out what works for you. Working out 3X a week did nothing for me. Working out less than an hour does nothing. Doing more strength training than cardio does nothing. Eating less makes me really crappy and causes me to eat unhealthy foods. What works for me is eating healthy food in healthy amounts and getting out and sweating every day for over an hour! :)

6520138.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ladyjammie
    ladyjammie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. It is all about diet for me. I tried exercising and still eating the same for a month and I didn't lose anything! As soon as I started watching my calories and exercising, I dropped 15 pounds in one month. It is definitely about the diet more than exercise for me.
  • rocky03
    rocky03 Posts: 55
    Options
    for me I have to watch calories, all the excersize isn't enough for me to lose weight, inches maybe, but not weight...
  • grasp
    grasp Posts: 31
    Options
    For me it was all diet at first and adding exercise when I lost enough to not cause injury. RMR - 500 cals = 1 lbs a week.

Walking moved to running with biking added and now skating.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'm on the fence with this one, i am struggling with the diet side of things i am pretty much staying withing my calorie goals most days but i still eat a lot of junk, not that i don't want to change that but rome wasn't built in a day and i'm not a great cook so if i am on a back shift at work my diet isn't as good as it is on an early shift (feel free to check my diary, but don't judge i know it needs work), so whilst i'm developing my cooking skills and learning what can/can't be frozen/microwaved i am trying to include exercise in my life as i have become sedentary over the years, and i'm starting to see results now that i've done this, as i get fitter i am sure my body will start telling me what to eat and what i don't want.

for me it has been easier to add something to my lifestyle than change 30 years of bad habits picked up on the way

horses for courses i reckon
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    for me I have to watch calories, all the excersize isn't enough for me to lose weight, inches maybe, but not weight...

The number on the scale isn't as important as losing fat, which is what losing inches means.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly what the OP meant...But I think that stats say that wt loss and healthy living is around 90% Nutrition and 10% Activity. Of course it will shift a bit based on individual differences. But anyone who does not believe that Nutrition is the basis of Living a Healthy Life, I challenge them to eat really badly and workout EVERYDAY for 2 hours or Whatever is a Great workout routine for 6 months. Then weigh in and get a Physical Check-up. Ask ANY Athlete on any level, what is the KEY to being able to perform...They will tell you it begins and ends with Nutrition...Just Saying. LOL
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    85% of it is diet and 15% is exercise ( you eat more than you exercise) :bigsmile:

You are exactly right. The whole premise is You are what you eat and that is true.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym...but if you don't bust your <insert appropriate part of your body> no amount of slicing and dicing will help.

And I say this because as far as I saw through my skim of the thread, everyone keeps saying diet.

The problem I have with that word is, you go on a diet, and you have to go off a diet.

It is more about making healthy lifestyle changes not dieting.

And if you don't exercise, you may drop weight, but your body composition will be a higher percentage of fat instead of the healthier muscle option.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I guess it just depends your individual goals. If someone told me I couldn't get washboard abs unless I gave up beer and chicken wings, I'd be okay with not having washboard abs :)

I do eat very healthy most of the time, but I won't be 100% strict and give up certain foods. But you won't hear me complaining that I am having trouble reaching a particular weight/body composition goal when I have a butter tart with my coffee.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym...but if you don't bust your <insert appropriate part of your body> no amount of slicing and dicing will help.

And I say this because as far as I saw through my skim of the thread, everyone keeps saying diet.

The problem I have with that word is, you go on a diet, and you have to go off a diet.

It is more about making healthy lifestyle changes not dieting.

And if you don't exercise, you may drop weight, but your body composition will be a higher percentage of fat instead of the healthier muscle option.

People are saying diet in the context of it being what you eat on a daily basis............That is the TRUE meaning of a diet.

diet (dī′ət)

noun
    1.a. what a person or animal usually eats and drinks; daily fare
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options

People are saying diet in the context of it being what you eat on a daily basis............That is the TRUE meaning of a diet.

diet (dī′ət)

noun
    1.a. what a person or animal usually eats and drinks; daily fare

Yes, I think the "true" definition of "diet" gets lost on some folks. I am not "on" a diet; I "have" a diet.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    85% of it is diet and 15% is exercise
    It depends how much you already exercise and how much you can eat!

When I am at the midrange of healthy weight for my height, my BMR comes to less than 1200 calories a day, which with a sedentary lifestyle would give me only 1400 calories a day - on MAINTENANCE. Aaargh! There is absolutely no way that I can average 1400 calories a day for the rest of my life on maintenance, which is why I have ended up very slowly putting on weight after losing weight successfully in the past, even though I have not gone nuts and have had relatively healthy eating habits.

The bottom line is that at such a low intake day in day out, it's pretty much impossible for me to live a "normal" lifestyle, i.e. going out for meals, having slices of birthday cake, having the occasional bottle of wine, without the weight slowly creeping back on. It's simply not possible to just "cut back a bit" the next day when you're already eating so little.

UNLESS you exercise to burn some of it off.

Which is why for me it's not 85% food, and why this time is going to be different. :bigsmile: