Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
i really fancy risotto tonight but i have no idea what to put in it

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can search for recipes on marthastewart.com or foodnetwork.com.
  • nuimproved
    nuimproved Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found this one online:

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/quick_and_easy/green_bean_and_mushroom_risotto.php

It's vegetarian. I made a couple of substitutions as I didn't have some of the ingredients and it still turned out pretty well. Thinking of making it again tonight. The hardest thing was finding a low-sodium broth.

Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Courgette (zuchinni) and chestnut mushroom is a favourite of mine. Asparagus and peas are lovely in risotto too.
  • cicadagirl
    Options
    Asparagus, leek, green peas, and lemon juice! Delicious and very light and fresh tasting. Perfect for spring!
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I really like butternut squash and goats cheese or feta risotto! A strongly flavored cheese means you get a ton of flavor for a lot less calories. Asparagus and mushrooms are delicious too.

I make a "fake" risotto (I have zero patience with cooking) and basically make a fat free tomato based vegetable sauce with a ton of veg (eggplant, zuchinni, onions, peppers, etc- kind of like a ratatouille but with paprika in addition to Italian herbs) and kidney beans, then simmer with cooked rice for 10 mins until it absorbs some sauce + flavor, then melt in a couple of wedges of Laughing Cow light cheese. It's delicious! And the kidney beans and veg give it a lot of volume/bulk/fiber, plus using brown rice since it isn't a conventional risotto recipe.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    wild mushrooms
    lemon and asparagus
    mediterainian vegies

oh man now i want a risotto!
  • piggysnoot
    Options
    I usually use mushrooms, asparagus, & green peas. I've seen one with sundried tomatoes and mushrooms but being non-fans of tomatoes we've never tried it. I don't use cheese at all. Found when using a good veggie broth it's not missing anything taking the cheese out and it's less calories that way.