EASY High-Protein Apple Banana Oatmeal Bars

Options
NotAbbieNormal
NotAbbieNormal Posts: 30 Member
edited November 2014 in Recipes
I found a great from Natalie Hodson at bodybuilding.com. I made a few modifications to suit my taste and these protein oatmeal bars were born. They make a great quick high-protein breakfast or snack. I used BSN Syntha-6 Isolate Vanilla protein powder.

z21hds5w3eye.jpg
Not a great photo, I know. :)

EASY High-Protein Apple Banana Oatmeal Protein Bars
Makes 8 large bars (for snack/small meal size, cut into 16 bars)

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
4 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/4 Cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the large bowl and mix well.

Spray a 8 inch or 9 inch square baking pan with non-stick spray. Pour oatmeal mixture into pan and smooth top with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes until top is beginning to brown, or inserted knife comes out clean.

Let cool 10-15 minutes in pan, then invert pan on a cutting board and cut into 8 bars. You could also invert on a cooling rack, and allow to cool completely before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. They are great warm or cold, and reheat well.

To freeze, make sure oatmeal bars are completely cooled first. Then wrap each bar in wax paper or parchment paper and place in a large freezer bag or container. For quick grab and go convenience, you can also place oatmeal bars in individual snack-sized plastic bags, then refrigerate or freeze until needed.

Per serving: 226 cal, 3 grams fat, 30 grams carbs, 5 grams fiber, 9 grams sugar, 20 grams protein

Link to original recipe: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/natalie-hodson-strawberry-banana-oatmeal-protein-bake.html

Replies

• moco916
    moco916 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Looks good! Saving.
  • frannie078
    frannie078 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • lkarlheim
    lkarlheim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Looks great, can't wait to try these!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    TaaaGUH!
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to make these!!
  • NotAbbieNormal
    Options
    Thanks! I hope everyone enjoys them!
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Need to try this!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Yum! I make something similar, but will definitely try these. Thanks!

bananalove.gif
  • mygnsac
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just made a batch and they are really good. My only changes were I doubled the cinnamon, used Fage 2% greek yogurt, and I added 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 cup raisins (I'm a raisin-aholic) and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.

f2shw83x2fiv.jpg
  • shrek1970uk
    shrek1970uk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just bought some flaxseeds, ground them up, & added a spoonful to my cereal.

Bleugh!! They were nasty! Ended up binning my whole bowl of cereal :s
  • NotAbbieNormal
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I added 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 cup raisins (I'm a raisin-aholic) and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.

I love the idea of adding raisins and pecans. I will definitely try that next time. I'm so glad you enjoyed them!
  • NotAbbieNormal
    Options

Mygnsac, you can make it without the ground flax seed if you like. I love the flavor of flax seed, and I started out adding it to my regular oatmeal - just a tiny bit at the time - then increased the amount over time. Now I use it in everything!
  • mygnsac
    Options

Mygnsac, you can make it without the ground flax seed if you like. I love the flavor of flax seed, and I started out adding it to my regular oatmeal - just a tiny bit at the time - then increased the amount over time. Now I use it in everything!

I think you mean shrek1970uk. :)
  • NotAbbieNormal
    Options
    Yep, I sure did! Sorry about that Mygnsac!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Mygnsac send me some I'm too lazy .LOL. Can you use any type of protein powder? I need to get some. I usually just grab a balance bar at foodlion instead of hitting a gnc.
  • kscm02
    kscm02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    saw these on another post. Look yummy. Now I just need the time to make them :)
  • NotAbbieNormal
    Options
    Kate7294 wrote: »
    Mygnsac send me some I'm too lazy .LOL. Can you use any type of protein powder? I need to get some. I usually just grab a balance bar at foodlion instead of hitting a gnc.

Kate7294, I think you can use any type of whey protein powder - those are the only ones I have experience baking with - I've never tried to bake with soy or other types of protein powders. With that being said, I read some great advice on a blogger's website about using protein powders in recipes, "if it tastes like *kitten* when you make a shake with it, it's not going to taste any better when you use it in a recipe." That's pretty accurate in my experience.

I order my protein powders online from Amazon because it's easier than making a special trip to GNC and it's always cheaper. The BSN Syntha-6 vanilla is very good. The BSN Syntha-6 chocolate is AMAZING in a shake - by far the best protein powder I've ever had.
  • NotAbbieNormal
    Options
    Kate7294, Here is a link to an awesome protein powder blog. She has tons of recipes that use all the varieties of protein powders, just in case you want to try something other than whey.

http://proteinpow.com/
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • NotAbbieNormal
    Options
    Thank you!

You're welcome! :smiley: