I'm on a downward spiral

Options
So I'm half way to goal or there abouts so i thought I would go shopping with my mum problem is even after losing 64lb I still need to shop in a plus size range and the clothes are no where near as nice as the normal stuff and if that wasn't enough to get me down I went to what used to be one of my favourite stores and I mean used to be because they now no longer stock plus sizes that are actually plus sized my size 12 mum had to buy an 18 so there was no hope of me finding anything that would fit me. I can see myself going back to my old ways and eating out of depression please help!!

Replies

• sarahc0714
    Options
    My suggestion would be to go put on some of your old clothes and see how good that feels to know that you really don't want to go back to them :) I go through the same thing of wanting to go back to my old habits! You are not alone. Push through it!!!!!
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Find other stores to shop in! I don't mean that to seem trite but instead of using your outing as an excuse to revert to your unhealthy eating habits, use it instead as a spur to lose more weight/inches so you can shop anywhere you want to!
  • kksp50
    kksp50 Posts: 3
    Options
    Then you would stay in the plus size clothes! Stop and think - you're half way there. Don't give up on yourself now! It's a great time to find a new favorite store and get energized for the smaller sizes you'll soon be in. Hang in there!
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Try checking out on-line stores - that's what I do, because I hate shopping in the actual stores. Don't give up! You've done sooo well!:flowerforyou:
  • jen11232
    jen11232 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think you're focusing on the wrong numbers: focus on the 64lbs lost, not what size pants you need to buy. You've done amazingly well and you deserve to keep going! :)

Keep in mind that over the years, sizes have been getting smaller. What used to be a size 2 (I know, itty bitty) is now a 00 in the US.

Congratulate yourself for the huge accomplishments you've had by losing weight. Your heart is healthier, your body is stronger, and you are extending your life. Who cares about your size? Go online and find some cute clothes that will fit and be proud of yourself! :)
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    Here's what motivated me to my first goal:

I had a pair of pants that I bought a long time ago for wicked cheap (1.99 on clearance). I loved these pants and they didn't quite fit. Then I got pregnant and it got even worse. yikes.

I just recently got those pants on, and it feels so GREAT! I can finally wear them and love them ON-not just in my closet.

Last night, I bought a beautiful shirt that is just a bit too small. It's my next goal to be able to wear comfortably. :)
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Please don't let this get you down. There are stores that sell cute plus size clothes sometimes you just have to look around a little more. You have accomplished too much to go back to your old ways now.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hi there Cery
    Here are my thoughts on this (keep in mind I a guy so what do I know:). Part of me fully understands your frustration. You want to feel "normal", go where the some of the other ladies go and pick out your favourite clothes, just to find that most stores still subscribe to the "Our clothes are only for the skinny, undernourished folks" philosophy. Instead, it feels like you are being sent to the back of the bus, with the other rounder kids. So, I sympathize. But and it is a big BUT:) let us not forget a few things:
    First of all, somehow, maybe through exercising, through healthier eating, through changing how much you eat, YOU managed to lose a LOT of weight and with that came of alot of inches no doubt. SO, BE PROUD!. Give yourself another year or two or even five and keep going the way you have and you too shall arrive one day. Imagine yourself as two people. The one that keeps going (as you have) and in five years floats in and out of any store she desires, maybe even with a backpack, running shoes, cruising down the aisles. That will be you. And then imagine the other you, that gives up, eats her way back into depression and then 5 years from now once again longingly looks into the stores. Now imagine meeting your other self and being amazed and getting the courage to ask: How did you do it? The reply would be: Simple, I just kept going, I refused to listen to that voice of frustration, sadness and instead took it one day at a time.
    Lastly, I want you to remember back to the time you learned how to walk (seeing that I see that toddler picture as your profile). When you first learned how to walk, you fell down many times, hurt your knees, got frustrated BUT most of all you got up again and tried and tried again. NOT ONCE, even as a toddler, did you say to yourself: "I give up" I will never walk, I guess I jsut keep crawling the rest of my life.
    I suggest you find that toddler attitude again:) Be well. Life is good.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Quite honestly, with that thinking you're just going to throw away all the progress you've made. You have a choice, chalk it up to a crappy day shopping.... that's one day out of your weight loss journey.... and move on. Or say I didn't get what I wanted so I'm going to start eating badly again which will make me feel even worse and cause you to gain the weight back and probably more. Going back to old habits is not going to change the store, its not going get you to the size to be, its not going to change what happened yesterday. It will only hurt you.

Ask yourself,,,, what do you want? Long term success or immediate gratification. The former will get you out of plus sizes, the latter is fat girl thinking.
  • daffysbird
    Options
    I know it is for me to say we love you just the way you are but I know how much you really want this. Just remember the shopping spree you been promised when you hit goal and being the skinny maid of honour for me. I don't care what size you are on our wedding day but I want you to be happy.

Your right it must be so annoying but you have done so well and we can all see the difference, just think you'll be out running monkey before you know it.

I am so proud of you and you are my BIGGEST inspiration - love ya x
  • JennyJohnson12
    Options
    Don't give up. Start again next week and carry on. x:flowerforyou:
  • mare91467
    mare91467 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think. :flowerforyou:
  • LilOlMe69
    LilOlMe69 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    64 lbs is AMAZING! Don't go back, you are doing so well! Definitely go back and try on your old clothes and see how they fit, problably WAY to big. You've worked soooo hard to get to where you are! YOU CAN DO THIS!! Hang in there!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Hi there Cery
    Here are my thoughts on this (keep in mind I a guy so what do I know:). Part of me fully understands your frustration. You want to feel "normal", go where the some of the other ladies go and pick out your favourite clothes, just to find that most stores still subscribe to the "Our clothes are only for the skinny, undernourished folks" philosophy. Instead, it feels like you are being sent to the back of the bus, with the other rounder kids. So, I sympathize. But and it is a big BUT:) let us not forget a few things:
    First of all, somehow, maybe through exercising, through healthier eating, through changing how much you eat, YOU managed to lose a LOT of weight and with that came of alot of inches no doubt. SO, BE PROUD!. Give yourself another year or two or even five and keep going the way you have and you too shall arrive one day. Imagine yourself as two people. The one that keeps going (as you have) and in five years floats in and out of any store she desires, maybe even with a backpack, running shoes, cruising down the aisles. That will be you. And then imagine the other you, that gives up, eats her way back into depression and then 5 years from now once again longingly looks into the stores. Now imagine meeting your other self and being amazed and getting the courage to ask: How did you do it? The reply would be: Simple, I just kept going, I refused to listen to that voice of frustration, sadness and instead took it one day at a time.
    Lastly, I want you to remember back to the time you learned how to walk (seeing that I see that toddler picture as your profile). When you first learned how to walk, you fell down many times, hurt your knees, got frustrated BUT most of all you got up again and tried and tried again. NOT ONCE, even as a toddler, did you say to yourself: "I give up" I will never walk, I guess I jsut keep crawling the rest of my life.
    I suggest you find that toddler attitude again:) Be well. Life is good.

I second this idea..... sometimes a shopping day just turns out crummy because as we diet we end up between sizes. Give it a few more pounds (I;m in the usa) and give it a go again. Find some slacks that are a close fit and find a tailor. Waists can be taken in cheaply (I hope so there too) . I hope that works for you.