Have to stop running, advice please

Options
Due to either my fibromyalgia or needing new shoes or both, the pain in my legs has made it necessary to stop running for awhile, maybe forever. While I am very sad about that, I need to find something I like to do for now. I do like biking, but do that every other day.

I wondered if anyone knew the benefits of walking with jogging mixed in?

Replies

• DBritt1
    DBritt1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Walking and jogging is a great way to lower the impact. You burn approximately the same amount of calories whether you walk, jog or run 1 mile. You just do it in a lot less time if you run.

For other activities, you could swim, use an elliptical or even try a circuit training routine (some gyms even have these setup for you, but you can create your own routine). Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Jogging is actually worse for your joints than running, it's higher impact. If you enjoy being outside you can just walk at a moderate to fast pace. If you go to the gym you can use the low/no impact cardio machines or you can swim.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try walking with some run/jog intervals thrown in to see how you feel - if it feels good, go for it - you'll get a better workout than walking alone. Other than that, as NoAdditives suggested, the cardio machines at the gym, or swimming, especially now that summer is coming, are other great options.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Virtually the only exercise I've been doing is walking, due to my knee. I can't run or jog without intense pain due to a permanent injury sustained 16 years ago. It WORKS. I like to do a super-brisk walk (not patient enough for a leisurely stroll unless my knee hurts too much or it's just plain too hot out) that actually burns quite a lot of calories. Today I hit a mental milestone when I stepped on that scale: I've lost 25 lbs since I started losing weight in late December. Today marks day number 95 on MFP as well.

Anyhow, what I mean to put forward with all of that is that a brisk walk is a good alternative to running. :smile:
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You should try to stair stepper or a rotating stair mill. They are lower impact but give you a great workout.