Rant >>>This is what the Atkins plan is TRULY about.....

Options
Grokette
Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
I am so sick of seeing the misconceptions, misinformation and untruths regarding Atkins and any other low carb plan out there. I am not going to write the whole book, but I am going to Outline each and every phase, and how you actually go about adding back in the carbs to where Atkins is TRULY a balanced eating.

This is coming from someone that lost 100+ pounds on Atkins in 2003. I can post pics from 2003.

To start this off, please understand that Atkins is a type of Elimination plan that is meant to be a lifestyle change, not some quick fix Diet.

The Atkins Nutritional Approach is designed the way it is for several reasons:

1. Serve as a point of Elimination so that as you add foods back in you can see how well your body tolerates that food and see if you have any adverse effects from any foods you add back in.

2. Control Insulin Production.

3. Start Weight Loss.

Phase 1 - Induction

Also known as the Atkins Diet Induction process, this phase basically follows a ketogenic diet in order to usher in the state of Ketosis. Such a diet restricts the intake of carbohydrates to more than 20 g net carb per day so as to prepare the body to switch gear to an alternative energy source in order to lose excess weight and remain healthy. The normal duration of this phase is 2weeks but it may also extend up to 3weeks or more depending on the ability on the endurance ability of the individual. It also helps to come over the symptoms of high blood sugar levels such as mood swings, fatigue and brain fog. In the 1st phase the dieters are supposed to abide by the Atkins Diet menu plan which harps on the consumption of protein and fat rich food.

In the Atkins books, he says that Induction should continue for a minimum of two weeks and encourages people to continue longer if they desire to, are tolerating it well, and have a lot of weight to lose. The Website now says that Induction is to last two weeks, and is optional.

There is some variation in the amounts of allowed vegetables between the books and the Web site, but the main rule is clear: Get most of your carbs from vegetables. Otherwise, allowed foods are primarily protein foods and fats. Beverages containing alcohol or caffeine are not allowed. Here are the allowed foods. If it isn’t on the list, it isn’t allowed.

Phase 1 Food List:

All fish, fowl, shellfish, meat, and eggs

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, cow, sheep and goat cheese, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

Cheddar; cream cheese; Gouda; mozzarella; Roquefort, and other blue; Swiss cheese

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Salad Vegetables

These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

You can have two to three, cups per day of any combination of the following:

Alfalfa sprouts, daikon radish, mushrooms, arugula, endive, parsley, bok choy, escarole, peppers, celery, fennel, radicchio, chicory, jicama, radishes, chives, lettuce, romaine lettuce, cucumber, mâche, sorrel, spinach

Other Vegetables

You can have one cup per day of these vegetables, in any combination if your salad portion does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

Artichoke, celery root, pumpkin, artichoke hearts, rhubarb, asparagus, chard, sauerkraut, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, Brussels sprouts, cabbage (red, green, Savoy), cauliflower, chayote, collard greens, dandelion greens, eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts, zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Special Category Foods

To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, 2 Tbsp. of sour cream, or unsweetened heavy or light cream (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content), as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Herbs and Spices

Use all herbs and spices to taste, but make sure that spice blends contain no added sugar.

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Use butter. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a serious health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are available in health-food stores.)

You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, fructose, etc., should be avoided. However, certain sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, do not affect blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including: filtered water, mineral water, spring water, and tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Decaffeinated coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 1.4 grams carbohydrate per Tablespoon); limit to two to three tablespoons

*Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine. Grain beverages (coffee substitutes) are not allowed. Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted during Induction; those low in carbohydrates are an option, in moderation, in later phases.

Convenience Foods

Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content.

Replies

• Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    bumping for later thanks Grokette!
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to read this when I have more time to completely understand it! Thanks!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Phase 2 - On Going Weight Loss

Now that your starting Phase 2, you will be climbing the carb ladder and adding back in foods according to the glycemic Index, it is important to add these foods back in, in the order they are listed below..........

1.More salad and other vegetables
    2.Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
    3.Nuts and Seeds
    4.Berries, then melons
    5.Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
    6.Legumes
    7.Other Fruits
    8.Starchy vegetables
    9.Whole grains

In the second phase of Atkins Nutritional Approac, you need to add more portions of vegetables and depending on the weight loss achieved until now, some people might even get to add nuts, seeds or even some berries. You would not be shifting from proteins and fats to carbohydrates but you will just be slowly changing the ratios of carbohydrates with fat and proteins.

Following this phase for few months should teach you a new way of life for staying healthy forever. During this phase, you would be able to understand the optimum level of carbohydrates required to take off excess weight. It would also become clear how your body reacts to addition of new foods this would be most important tip for enjoying good health for life.

Remember, while following OWL phase of Atkins, to keep adding few more carbohydrates each week, but care must be taken not to return to your old habits of eating.

This phase works by making you understand what is your own Critical Carbohydrate Level of Losing weight (CCLL). Knowing your own CCLL is the key to losing weight. It could be in the range of 25 to 50 and can be more if you are very active. Taking a Lipolysis strip test will help you be certain about CCLL.

Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) works by taking carbohydrates in wise and intelligent manner. Some foods that has around 5 grams of carbohydrates are vegetables like onions, bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, avocados; dairy products like cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese; fruit juices like lemon juice; nuts and seeds like walnuts, almonds etc. But their quantity would affect their carbs count too. There are certain convenience foods too which are good to kill hunger and cravings when on the go and provides a change of menu. These foods could be diet bars or nutritional shakes.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in low carb as that is how I have lost my weight---but not a fan of the higher fat intake in Atkins.
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Grokette
    Options
    Phase 3 - Pre-Maintenance

The phase of pre-maintenance focuses on creating the optimal lifetime eating program, one that keeps you fit so perfectly you will want to stay on it for lifelong. The optimal lifetime eating program lets you:

** To look at more food choices without misusing them
    ** To find out the foods that can result in sloping you from the path of weight loss
    ** To make a mindful choice for serving you health for the rest of your life
    ** To find out how flexible Atkins is
    ** To learn dealing with food addiction
    ** To discover the ways to defeat the problems created by making unhealthy food choices

This phase will work by increasing carbohydrates intake by 5 grams more to the point until only one pound or so will losing from your weight and not more. This method may sound like complete madness but it’s very important for lifelong weight loss, as it would suggest you to get familiar to future eating habits.

By slowing losing the last few pounds, your body would become used to the change in carbohydrates and would make proper carb intake automatic for you. Third phase of Atkins not only make you slim but also healthy for life. By following pre-maintenance, you would know what’s best for you and what you should do to please yourself and not others.

If by now, goal weight is reached no need to increase carbohydrates further for a month and then increase by 10grams more and see if you gain any weight. If you do then drop 10 grams again from your diet and this would show you, your Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium.

If not losing or gaining weights then you would have to move around this Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium until it happens. It would take around 3 months to lose finally last few pounds, but with clear ACE, it would be a perfect success.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I totally believe in low carb as that is how I have lost my weight---but not a fan of the higher fat intake in Atkins.

To each their own. I am only posting the whole plan so that all these misinformations and untruths will stop because people don't understand the premise behind it.

Personally I am a fan of a high fat plan and even though I am no longer on Atkins - I still believe in it. I have transitioned to a higher fat plan than Atkins and this is the way I will eat for life.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Phase 4 - Lifetime Maintenance

You have reached your goal weight and learnt to select different food groups offering right amount of carbohydrates to maintain the weight loss. Atkins lifetime maintenance teaches you to indulge in some of your favorite foods without worrying about putting the weight back. Maintain the ideal ACE and don’t let your weight fluctuate more than 3 pounds. Weight loss is not just physically tiring but also mentally straining, so take a break also by going for a holiday without counting calories.

It’s important to keep the attitude you possessed in earlier 3 stages to keep weight loss constant as a priority in your life. Always weigh yourself once a week to keep a check on you. If, you see any change towards higher side; go back to reducing carbohydrate intake to reach your ACE.

To maintain your ideal weight for life, assume certain principles as rules of your life:

** Be conscious about what you eat, try to eat only fresh food and not canned.
    ** Always stay away from sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch and white flour and be a smart buyer by keeping foods, which have these away from you.
    ** Variety is the spice of life so follow this in your eating plan to keep yourself motivated to be on right path. Try new recipes with food groups you can eat and enjoy.
    ** Take less of caffeine and alcohol
    ** Be regular with your vitamins and nutrient supplements.
    ** Act promptly when you see your weight climbing up.
    ** Very importantly, exercise should become an integral part of your life.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    so i didnt read all of this cause i did atkins a long time ago...

BUT what im going to ask is this: im confused. are you saying you did atkins, lost a whole bunch of weight and are now on MFP because you gained weight again cause you didnt stick with atkins??

atkins and south beach are not, to me, sustainable ways of living...yeah i lost major weight and i was happy but it's not a real lifestyle plan for the real women/men out there - by real i mean those of us who slip up and get back on the horse again or for people who take a day off now and then or basically what i mean to say by real is those of us who are not able to be so strict with our ways. i certainly am not altho i do know one (i repeat ONE) person who is strict and does stick to this lifestyle.

i dont advocate for this lifestyle of eating as it really isnt a realistic way of living for most people that i've seen...i siad most, not all mind you...and of course, this is just my personal opinion and not meant to be taken offense to.
  • crazymama2two
    Options

To each their own. I am only posting the whole plan so that all these misinformations and untruths will stop because people don't understand the premise behind it.

Personally I am a fan of a high fat plan and even though I am no longer on Atkins - I still believe in it. I have transitioned to a higher fat plan than Atkins and this is the way I will eat for life.

i believe in the higher fat theory as this is what keeps you fuller longer if you choose the right fats...its what sustains your body...and its natural, agian, if youp ick the right foods...the low or fat free everything is what spikes your blood sugar and ultimately what makes you hungry again sooner/faster than the full fat version of foods.
  • Grokette
    Options

BUT what im going to ask is this: im confused. are you saying you did atkins, lost a whole bunch of weight and are now on MFP because you gained weight again cause you didnt stick with atkins??

atkins and south beach are not, to me, sustainable ways of living...yeah i lost major weight and i was happy but it's not a real lifestyle plan for the real women/men out there - by real i mean those of us who slip up and get back on the horse again or for people who take a day off now and then or basically what i mean to say by real is those of us who are not able to be so strict with our ways. i certainly am not altho i do know one (i repeat ONE) person who is strict and does stick to this lifestyle.

i dont advocate for this lifestyle of eating as it really isnt a realistic way of living for most people that i've seen...i siad most, not all mind you...and of course, this is just my personal opinion and not meant to be taken offense to.

If you read what I wrote, I gained weight back ONLY due to a car accident that left me incapable of feeding myself for a time, exercising and I am lucky to be alive. I had to eat what my husband could feed me, which his cooking stills are not much SO we ate a lot of hamburger helper, pasta, noodles, hamburgers, french fries etc. Of course I gained some of the weight back.

I am no longer on Atkins, I have transitioned over to the Paleo approach which is actually stricter than Atkins and you see my progress again in just under 3 months time frame. God willing of my ability to be able to care for msyelf from here on out, I will never gain the weight back again.

Answer this for me please??? What about Atkins or South Beach are NOT sustainable???? You are eating from all food groups and it is balanced????
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have no problem personally with ANY program because if they have been around long enough the fad plans disappear and the researched plans that work stay for the long haul. (Atkins has been around a long time and is the jumping off place for a whole bunch of lower carb plans) and I never saw anything wrong with Atkins.

For me though I have no particular plan...just trying to have good carbs (long digesting ones), a few quick carbs and some quality protein with each meal. Have enough cals for a few snacks and keep the portion sizes all in my calorie range.

This planless plan is working so well because like Atkins etc the glucose level is stable all day. So no cravings or highs and lows.

I know there is a lot of misconceptions out there (validating the OP's point of view) but if someone does not want to be open to explanation you end up using your energy trying to convince them.

So GOOD that you got the venting out of the way...and maybe someone will "get it" if they are open to it but don't worry about those who don't. :smile:
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options

It certaintly is a very sustainable way of living. I didn't do that Atkins diet, per se, but I do have a very low carb diet, more primal than anything. I get my carbs from mainly veggies and some fruits. Occasionally I'll eat something with grains (like today, for ex), but I try to keep my carb count to 100g or less/day, which is hard to do if you eat lots of bread, pasta, cereals etc.

I've found that in doing this, not only is the weight just melting off me, but I feel soooooo much better! I'm less hungry, I don't get those terrible sugar crashes or carb cravings, I have more energy.....and it's really just about how insulin responds to carbs.

If I go out, and I know that it may be a while til I get to eat, I bring snacks along - nuts, trail mix, protein bars, water. That keeps me from buying something that's totally processed, nutritionally vacuous, and caloric. So like I said - totally doable, and actually pretty easy to do. I didn't think it would be, but it is!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Everytime someone makes a post that they are trying it out here comes all the ignorant comments, I have just gotten really fed up and if I didn't vent my frustrations with all the misconceptions and untruths I would end up saying something really foul out of my mouth and onto the computer screen which will get me banned from this site for life.

I like to log my foods here mainly to see how much variety I am getting, past meal ideas of things I might have forgotten about and check my fat, protein and carb ratios as I don't count calories.........

For those people that want to eat low fat and count calories, more power to them. Atkins is a way to learn your body and tailor the plan to fit the individual and the personal lifestyles...........
  • Pollita76
    Options
    tHANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR POST. CARBS ARE SLOWING MY LOSS SOO MUCH. THANK YOU SO!
  • ondjima
    ondjima Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and was told by a dr. to go on a low carb diet. I have been following a low GI diet and have seen dramatic weight loss and a dramatic difference in my symptoms. Before going low GI it was impossible for me to lose weight, because of the effect that carbs have on insulin levels. This is also the only way to stop myself from developing type two diabetes.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    as i said, it wasnt meant to offend. for me it's not sustainable and for those around me in real life it wasnt except for the one i mentioned. you have to -- not you, you but an individual must get out of the book and make it sustainable. a lot of people rely heavily on the recipes in the books and whatnot.

and good for you that you found it do-able. i praise you. it was simply a question i was asking. i wasnt trying to belittle you or anyone at all....:sigh:
  • Grokette
    Options
    as i said, it wasnt meant to offend. for me it's not sustainable and for those around me in real life it wasnt except for the one i mentioned. you have to -- not you, you but an individual must get out of the book and make it sustainable. a lot of people rely heavily on the recipes in the books and whatnot.

and good for you that you found it do-able. i praise you. it was simply a question i was asking. i wasnt trying to belittle you or anyone at all....:sigh:

I know that, I never said you were belittling anyone..............I am just explaining how I feel. No arguments from me. I know how I got my weight off and how I kept it off and it was thanks to Atkins.

Your right, many people rely too much on the recipes or trying to re-create their favorite desserts in a low carb way instead of getting rid of the sugar cravings. I contribute that part right there to my success. I got rid of the sugar cravings and so I no longer need to recreate the low carb sweet stuff. I still with what I can cook with the meats, veggies and fruits that are in my fridge and freezer.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Presentation at Stanford University by Chris Gardner PhD who has been a vegetarian for 25 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

He did a study comprised of four different diets, including Atkins. Atkins did come out on top.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post this, Grokette. I appreciate you sharing your viewpoint. I'm replying to this post, so I will have it in my topics for future reference.