Options
2»

Replies

• fyeahwlt
    fyeahwlt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    fyeahwlt wrote: »
    Hi everyone. So, I just started the program today and I'm a bit confused on the distance for the first few weeks. Am I meant to be walking/running the full 5K on the very first day/week(s)?

As others have mentioned, don't think too much about distance for now. I find that I have enough to be thinking of just breathing, stretching and eating/drinking appropriately before and after to worry too much on distance!
    For week one, I averaged 3-3.5km per 30 min session, which I'm told is right where we should be at this stage.

Otherwise, how are you finding it?

After work this evening I start week 2. I'm a little bit nervous on the extra jump in intervals as I'm seriously unfit. But I reassure myself that if I'm really struggling, I can do another day of week 1 intervals, and then try week 2 tomorrow or wednesday.

I have to say, though, for someone who is as exercise-averse as I am, I'm perversely enjoying it, even though it has rained for all 'runs' (jogs..) so far.

You'll be surprised at how much you can do. Each week is a new challenge, BUT if you find it to be too much, just repeat a day or week if you need to. There is absolutely NO reason to hurt yourself. I'm an avid runner now, and started with C25K. There were weeks that I had to repeat. It's okay - progress at a pace that works for you. Just getting up off the couch and WANTING it is a major accomplishment. Even if it takes you a little longer, you're still doing it. :flowerforyou:

WANTING it has been a completely new feeling. Like, wow. I'm shocked every time I find myself looking forward to my next workout or getting excited about prepping my meals ahead of time, LOL.
  • fyeahwlt
    Options
    wulfax wrote: »
    Everything everybody said on here is pretty spot on. I also walked a lot before I started the program, not as much as you though, I think I did 2-3 miles a day for a month before I started the C25k program.

I am now on W6D1 (will do it on Tueday the 11th) and just got done with W5D3 which is a continues 20 mintue run. It was amazing that I completed it, especially considering that I could barely do 1 mintue when I started. Also I am VERY slow. Most of my paces are still 16:30 to 17:30 min/miles. But speed will come with time.

I am tracking and posting my own journey on this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10000439/beginning-runner-using-c25k/p1

As slow as I was yesterday, I'm amazed that I was able to complete it! Like I said I was walking 5 miles daily but just three months when I first started this I could only walk a mile (a very very very slow mile) and even then I felt like I was dying. Then just like you I moved up to about 2-3 miles, then finally 4-5 miles. They're still slow miles. But it's amazing what just getting off the couch will do.

I'm excited to see what else I can accomplish!

Good luck with W6D1!
  • fyeahwlt
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice!
  • wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    fyeahwlt wrote: »

As slow as I was yesterday, I'm amazed that I was able to complete it! Like I said I was walking 5 miles daily but just three months when I first started this I could only walk a mile (a very very very slow mile) and even then I felt like I was dying. Then just like you I moved up to about 2-3 miles, then finally 4-5 miles. They're still slow miles. But it's amazing what just getting off the couch will do.

I'm excited to see what else I can accomplish!

Good luck with W6D1!

You are probably finding out, which I did, that you can accomplish whatever you set your mind to. You put in the work and went from sitting on the couch to walking 5 miles a day.

It is my belief that in exercise, the discipline is more mental than physical.

Good luck to you!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So here's a question for tonight:

I did W1D3 on Sunday as well as cycling 10k (slowly, in a roundtrip);
    Yesterday it was W2D1 and today I cycled to and from work, 10k.

I was planning to do a run, but I'm a bit tired.
    Ordinarily, this is fine, but tomorrow night I'm out with friends straight after work, and on Thursday overnight to Friday I'm at a work thing. I *might* be able to squeeze it in, but not sure if it will be possible. Friday I'm again out with friends...
    SO, it would be Saturday before I might run again.

Should I go out tonight?