Have you ever experienced this?

Options
I nearly finished P90x Lean routine and was doing great. I switched over to 30 Day Shred - Phase 2 and was doing good for a week or so, then every thing changed. I am having a very hard time with the cardio. I can't seem to catch my breath, and I feel far weaker than I have been for the past 3 months. I know it takes time to get used to a new workout, but I feel like I have completely regressed. Have you ever experienced this?

Replies

• TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    How many workouts was this for?

I wondered because I had that once just before I went down with a cold, even though I wasn't feeling unwell at the time. Wasn't until the next day when I woke up feeling wretched that I realised why I'd been struggling with my workout.

If that's not it, fingers crossed someone else can come up with some other ideas.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try taking 1-2 rest days. I amped up my cardio and felt like I was trying run trhough mud. I took a couple of days off and when I went back, I flew like Superman.
  • canuck_67
    canuck_67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yes I have in the past overtrained and my body shut down. I now Take a complete week off every 6 weeks when strenght training. And my cardio I have 1 day off every week.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
  • Tyra1976
    Tyra1976 Posts: 21
    Options
    I guess I should have told you I just took a week off because, I too, thought I had overtrained my body. I was gung-ho for nearly 3 months. We're talking super intense. About 2 weeks ago is when everything came to a screeching halt.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Try taking 1-2 rest days. I amped up my cardio and felt like I was trying run trhough mud. I took a couple of days off and when I went back, I flew like Superman.

This.

Your muscles may be fatigued. Giving them time to recuperate and recover may jump start your energy levels to perform. Also, make sure that you're getting enough intake of the essential carbs, protein, and [healthy] fat to fuel your body for your workouts. Try carbing up on whole grain, wheat, and/or fruit one to two hours before your sessions...that may give you a boost as well.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    When you change things up...your body is trying to adapt to it again. Your body was use to the P90 routine. I get the soreness and difficulty level goes up every time I change my routine. This is a good thing...it means changes.

Muscle confusion is gooood. :smile:
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You could go to the doc and get your iron levels checked as well. I tanked on workouts for weeks before heading in for an appointment. Severly low iron stores were my issue. A month of supplementing and I can work hard again, get my levels checked again in 2 months. Worth thinking about. Low iron can cause fatigue, muscle pain, lightheadedness, anda ton of other stuff.
  • Tyra1976
    Tyra1976 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input. I do struggle with anemia. That could be once cause. I think I have also unintentionally messed things up a little by focusing on my protein intake. I'm a carb addict by nature, but for the past couple of weeks, I have been seriously cutting them down. Maybe my body is reacting badly because of it. Hmm... hadn't thought about that.