"Superfoods"

Options
Hi,
I have been eating a lot of foods that I hear are "super foods" such as chia, hemp, flax and other seeds, in order to boost fibre and protein. I have noticed these are adding a lot of calories to my diet.. What are peoples thoughts on eating these for goals such as weight loss and body toning?
Thanks!

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I can get plenty of fiber and protein without those foods. I think "superfoods" is a bunch of hyped-up trendy malarkey. Most foods have some phytochemical or compound which has a positive impact on health. Tomatoes used to be touted because of their lycopene. Grape seeds have resveratrol. Chocolate has all sorts of antioxidants.

Eat foods because you like them and they fit your macros, and even because they offer some specific nutrient you feel you aren't getting enough of. If you eat a wide variety of veggies and fruits, whole grains and legumes, nuts and seeds, proteins and healthy fats, you'll get all the micronutrients and antioxidants you need. Don't waste your money on stuff just because it's trendy.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How are these foods supposed to help with "body toning"?

• LilyOfTheValley008
    Options
    I don't understand what impact you think they'll have on body toning? But superfoods aren't only the trendy/expensive things people like to show off in their oatmeals haha.
    Broccoli, spinach, tomatoes are also superfoods (not expensive) and yes you'll be doing your body good by incorporating them into your diet more. Overall the best plan is making sure you eat a wide variety of veggies/fruits/whole grains etc to make sure you're getting the right nutrients. Nothing new, so don't worry about the fancy stuff unless you actually want to :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what has already been said; chia, flax, and all that are trendy right now, but more importantly eat a wide variety of unprocessed food and stay in your calorie goal. I have an old "superfoods" books written maybe 10 years ago. None of the foods you mentioned were on that list, but it did include: tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, yogurt, oats, turkey, blueberries, salmon, walnuts, citrus, and a few other things I can't remember. Most of those are packed full of nutrients and don't carry a huge calorie burden.

My goal is to eat as many different foods as I can figuring that the variety will give me a plethora of micronutrients.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "Superfood" is a label given to whatever random produce the producers have too much of in the shed that week. It's a marketing gimmick.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Don't fall for the hype. All of those seeds are a good source for omega 3's. You do not need to eat them daily. I don't see how they would help with weight loss or body toning.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Never heard the phrase. If it's high in protein and fiber and doesn't kill you on fat or salt, what's the problem?

The weight-lifters will scream at me, but I think that if you have a normal protein intake and eat enough all the way around, you'll build muscle without swallowing massive amounts of protein. My son is into the weight-lifting and is always telling me I'm wrong about that. I barely argue with him and I care about him, so will not be arguing the point with anyone else. :)
  • cj032368
    Options
    I agree with the above. Just eat healthy. If you are still concerned, visit a dietician and go through what you eat to see if you are missing any nutrients. Portion control is also important.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I can understand where everyone is coming from here, but I'm gonna stick up for the "superfoods" for a moment.

I'm a fan of hemp, chia, flax, etc. because they are rich in vitamins and minerals, antioxidants, healthy fats, and even pack protein. Not only that, but they are low carb and high fiber.

They are versatile and easy to fit into your diet. Smoothies, salads, yogurts, what have you...there's a bunch of ways.

They are not expensive. My local store has them in the bulk section for a few dollars a pound.

If you like to eat your nutrients instead of supplement them, which I personally prefer, then these "superfoods" can be a good addition to your diet. I think there is definitely a hype behind these foods, but remember when avocados became weirdly trendy? Did you stop eating avocados? Just eat what suits you.

Eating healthy in general is a no brainer if you are worried about your well being, but you don't HAVE to eat these foods any more than you HAVE to eat a banana tomorrow. Or kale. Or a fruit roll-up, for crying out loud.

Take a look at the nutrition facts, try them out, and decide if you like them. You aren't "falling" for anything if you eat them. They are just food.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Also, I highly doubt it's proven that they help with "toning", whatever that really means. Sounds totally made up to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There are foods that are nutritionally dense, but as far as "super", their calories are counted just like any other food. Weight loss still is about CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    There is one superfood.

Bacon.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Superfoods is a marketing term, nothing more.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds are high in fiber and are rich in minerals. Chia and flaxseeds have the edge in when it comes to soluble fiber, hemp, well, is higher than the other two seeds when protein is being talked about. Try adding them to your oatmeal and smoothies like 1-2 tablespoon a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been eating a lot of foods that I hear are "super foods" such as chia, hemp, flax and other seeds, in order to boost fibre and protein. I have noticed these are adding a lot of calories to my diet.. What are peoples thoughts on eating these for goals such as weight loss and body toning?
    Thanks!

Seeds won't help you lose weight or 'tone' your body.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of psyllium husk in water at night gives me a reliable morning for 15 calories, and is a lot cheaper than 45 calories of sickly sweet Metamucil.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think that these foods are good in addition to other foods. Of course, you can get the equivalent protein and fiber in so many ways that will contain many less calories---More bang for your buck, yaknow. But if these are foods you enjoy, I wouldn't rely solely on them for a good body; because I hear that what you've mentioned contains many health benefits that extend past protein and fiber, why not just add a bit over a salad or in some greek yogurt? It'll probably be much better when trying to budget calories
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want just be aware that there is nothing special about these foods that will make a difference to weight loss - just make sure you are eating at a sensible deficit and you will lose weight.