I miss sausage pizza - help?

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
edited November 2014 in Recipes
OK Americans, I'm dying for a sausage and green olive pizza - Papa John's style.

Sausage here in Australia is something completely different. I've tried making my own sausage and I can't get it right. I've seen a few recipes, but I'm looking for some tried and true recommendations.

Does anyone have an awesome sausage recipe (particularly one that will taste great on a pizza) to share?

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    This one is good, I don't bother with the casing.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/home-made-italian-sausage/
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=RPQP4TC3E1w

Watching him make sausage is amazing. I ordered one of the grinders for my mixer so I could give it a try.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We make all of our own sausage, but my dad buys all the bulk seasonings and we make it a family activity. (I think this might make us weird!?). I am not sure which company my pops settled on but all of their product rocks. I can find out... We typically make Italian, spicy Italian, breakfast, chorizo and bratwurst.

We are due to make more as all of our families have run out! I love it because you can make it as lean as you want.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm a hobbyist charcutier.

What did you try? I'm not familiar with ol Pappy John, but I'd assume it's a pretty generic fennel italian style bulk sausage, eh?

What did you try, and how?
  • Alatariel75
    edited November 2014
    Options
    To be honest, I tried a couple of pre-made seasoning mixes I picked up at the USA foods specialty shop and then tried one recipe I found online and kind of gave up. One of the mixes was Zach's Spice Company Old Fashioned Pork Sausage mix, it was nice but really better for a breakfast sausage type thing rather than a pizza sausage. I don't recall what the other was, but it was super salty.

I can't find the online recipe I tried, I remember it had a lot of sage.

I'd love some of your advice, i saw the pictures of your bacon hanging the other day!!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Bacon means I'm bonafide.

Tell you what, PM me with the flavor profile you're thinking about, and I'll give you some basics covering technique, and then think about a spice recipe.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I'm a hobbyist charcutier.

What did you try? I'm not familiar with ol Pappy John, but I'd assume it's a pretty generic fennel italian style bulk sausage, eh?

What did you try, and how?

Made any coppa or bresaola yet? I've really only made bacon, pancetta, guanciale, sausages

• dbmata
    Options
    bacon, pancetta, guanciale, coppa, bresaola, langjager, prosciutto, VA style country ham, lardo. Then my fresh sausages, and forays into rillettes, pate, canned sausage, confit, and various preps of foie gras.

It's silly just how fun this stuff is. The four you make are excellent, and basically where I went after I dialed in duck prosciutto. bacon, pancetta, and guanciale are all very easy to mature into a raw eaten product.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Bacon means I'm bonafide.

Tell you what, PM me with the flavor profile you're thinking about, and I'll give you some basics covering technique, and then think about a spice recipe.

You're awesome! Message sent :)