Cycling and leg cramps...

Options
i've recently (last 2 months) begun cycling a little more regularly, and trying to increase my distance. A few weeks ago i started cramping really bad on the hardest ride i had ever done...there was a 12 mile stretch in the middle (42 mile ride) where 7 of us were taking turns leading in a 20-25mph headwind with an avg speed of 19mph...near the end of this stretch my calves started cramping really bad, and then on hills, my hammys would. Lasted the rest of the ride, even after i bought a powerade at someone's suggestion.

Ever since this ride, i seem very prone to cramping...not just cycling, but afterwards when laying in bed, sitting around, or even randomly when i haven't cycled. I'm wondering if there is anything i can do to help with this, and hopefully prevent it in the future. I figure i can't be the only one with this experience?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Shalvia62
    Options
    Are you stretching before riding? Are you getting enough potassium? Low potassium can lead to leg cramps.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    • proper hydration before, during and after the ride
    • 10-15 cool down spin with light resistance to clear lactic acid build up
    • Proper stretching routine, particularly after ride
    • Ensure you have adequate Potassium and Sodium intake
    • Try and use a lower gear and spin at a higher rpm
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    veloman21 wrote: »

funny you say that, because i've noticed i tend to have a much lower rpm than others in my cycling club, but i feel it is a much less efficient use of my power

• veloman21
    Options
    You can create equal power two ways. Low rpm's in a high gear and just grind or much higher rpm's in a low gear and spin. It's much more efficient to pedal at higher rpms, say 90+. It also puts less pressure on your joints, allows the muscles to relax more and slows down the build up of lactic acid. It should help reduce cramping a bit especially if you fueled and stretched properly.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Lack of sodium is a possibility. Do you use anything other than water in your bottles? If you don't want the calories of a Gatorade or similar you can always use Hammer Fizz or Nuun tabs, or any similar product. No calories, but gives you salt and some flavor.
  • arran55
    arran55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem and I have learnt to change my peddling style during a ride when I start to feel my calves tighten. When this happens, I cannot stand on the peddles when cycling up hill.

I do a lot of last long rides and I use a number of different styles of peddling during these rides.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Increase your potassium and magnesium intake. Also during longer rides you need to replenish your sodium lost. I found pickles and pickle juice work well for me during races this past season. I had a lot of issues last season with cramping.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Increase your potassium and magnesium intake. Also during longer rides you need to replenish your sodium lost. I found pickles and pickle juice work well for me during races this past season. I had a lot of issues last season with cramping.

This. While it sounds disgusting, it is actually quite helpful! And doesn't taste nearly as bad as it sounds. And it really works.

• veloman21
    Options
    I prefer Nuun tablets in my water bottle. To me it delivers a more practical solution than carrying pickles.

1 Nuun tab contains 359mg Sodium, 101mg Potassium, 25mg Magnesium
    1 pickle contains 324mg Sodium, 34mg Potassium, 3mg Magnesium
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I prefer Nuun tablets in my water bottle. To me it delivers a more practical solution than carrying pickles.

1 Nuun tab contains 359mg Sodium, 101mg Potassium, 25mg Magnesium
    1 pickle contains 324mg Sodium, 34mg Potassium, 3mg Magnesium

I agree its more practical, I just REALLY like pickles.

• longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, will def look into the tablets as im not a pickle fan. Also any advice on how to keep up with all the cyclists that are TWICE my age? (besides tighter cycling clothes lol)
  • mdwrhw
    mdwrhw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that the cause of your cramping was the fatigue of riding on your longest hardest ride. Muscle fatigue can cause cramps, although dehydration or electrolyte imbalance can increase your fatigue and cause cramps to occur more quickly.

Keeping up with faster cyclists comes from training at appropriate levels for your fitness level. There are a lot of training books out there that can give some structure to your riding. Once or twice a week ride high intensity intervals, and on other days do longer steadier efforts. Don't just go out and do the same ride efforts all the time.

Cycling is fairly forgiving about age. Older riders who are long time riders can be very fast into their 50s, 60s, and even beyond. Endurance is easier to maintain or develop than power or speed, but they can all be improved at any age.

Mark W
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    My husband swears by Hammer's Endurolites capsules, and he also keeps mustard packets in his seat bag for cramping on long rides. Sounds gross, but he says it works great.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

funny you say that, because i've noticed i tend to have a much lower rpm than others in my cycling club, but i feel it is a much less efficient use of my power
    that would be accurate.

also, try some salt tabs.